• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: OS Mid

Loving the feedback guys. Thanks for taking the time to give me some thoughts.

I think this disc definitely has a chance to compete with any mid on the market once we have a full run of plastics/weights.

Keep throwing these bad boys and let me know what you think!

Got to throw the Gila today and was looking to compare it to my most over stable roc (star san marino roc). Unfortunately it was raining pretty much the hole round, so I didn't throw it as much as I hoped, (got into a friendly, competitive game). The few holes I used it on, it was certainly more over stable then my roc(that's a good thing). Hope to get out tomorrow, and give it more throws. Early impressions, I really want this in fossil or fossil fuel(colors!!) and weights this tired old arm is becoming accustomed to throw, so I can season and cycle them.

My current mid line up (Over to under stable)
Gila
Star San Marino
Flat top KC newish
8x KC very old-ish
Flat top DX beat up-ish
Tangent (easiest to replace)

Anybody thrown it head-to-head against a Bard? Imagine they'd be similar given they're both faster than Rocs.

Anybody thrown it head-to-head against a Bard? Imagine they'd be similar given they're both faster than Rocs.

Never thrown a bard, unfortunately. The stability of the gila is honestly hard to gauge because it seems to glide due to the wide diameter but it also seems to hold the line. It's a weird combo and it's hard to trust at first but it's held the line every time I've thrown it and faded... and we had 15 mph winds today.

Never thrown a bard, unfortunately. The stability of the gila is honestly hard to gauge because it seems to glide due to the wide diameter but it also seems to hold the line. It's a weird combo and it's hard to trust at first but it's held the line every time I've thrown it and faded... and we had 15 mph winds today.

This is true.

I love Bards. They're definitely different however. A Bard has a very stubborn HSS. I can throw one on an anny and it will want to pull back out pretty quickly. The Gila on the other hand will ride the line for a good while before pulling back.

The Gila IMO has more distance potential due to its long glide phase when thrown hard. If powered down or thrown by a slower arm, the two will probably perform similarly.

Id same a decent comparison would be a champ firebird vs a Sexton glow.
Both are decidedly OS but one is stout from start to finish while the other has some push through the HSS portion, finishing with a steady bite.

I was actually surprised in throwing the Gila. It's definitely a good, significantly overstable mid, but it carries like nobody's business! I had been using a Luster MD3 (most OS of their plastic blends) and more recently a RocX3 for my OS mid slots, but gave the Gila the slot for a couple rounds this weekend and DANG! Yes, it performs just as stable/overstable as the two Innova discs I've been using recently, but has as much if not more glide than a MD3. Like if the glide of my seasoned S-MD3 got the stability from my Luster. I'm finding with the glide on this disc, I can actually take a bit of power off the shots I'm used to using these for and get the same result with easier finesse/touch. When I give it a full pull, thrown flat, it doesn't offer much (if any) turn and just goes straight for days, then as it slows, starts to quickly fade but doesn't dump like many super overstable mids like to do. (MOAB, Justice, Verdict, Drone) My closest comparison would be a more aggressive Roc3 or a Discraft Hornet.

Initially upon opening the package, I worried that this big of a bead may be uncomfortable. However, for my hands, it nestles perfectly in the crook of my 1st knuckle on my index finger. Very comfortable grip with smooth release as the bead is large, but very well rounded and smooth.

Overall, I'm really loving it so far through two rounds. I can't wait to get more experience with it on some courses that call for this type of shot more.

Grand slam, RDG crew! :thmbup:

got some more time in with it at some more open courses that let me air it out more and let some more wind come into play. a couple friends and myself threw it back and forth just to get some more flight readings. in both mild tail and mild headwind, it flew the same for the most part,it just looks so slow and glidey in the air. its kind of crazy seeing something with so much glide and some good HSS/LSS ,no to mention this thing forehands like a dream consistently. it flies very close to my seasoned wasp that is much heavier so i am very anxious to get a heavier gila ,i bet it is more overstable and will be exactly what i want to replace my buzzz os. both of my friends really liked the flight of it because of how glidey and just workable it was compared to their rocs,its very easy to throw.

Every shot i had with it flew exactly where i wanted it to go an how i thought it would fly,which is surprising considering it has the stability to hold in head wind. even though it was mostly calm throughout the weekend, a storm rolled in sunday afternoon and brought some wind and gusts for a short bit so i took advantage. i went to the field and threw the gila along side my wasps and buzzz os,this is where i saw a slight difference in the gila and my seasoned wasp that it had been flying so similar to. while my beat up wasp turned right,the seasoned wasp flew straight,tracked a little right but still faded out. i threw the gila next and it held straighter ,a little longer and then finally faded out,which showed that it has a little more hss than that particular wasp. the next shots i threw were fh in a slight tail wind. i threw my wasp but i managed to torque it over too much and flipped it over some while the gila held straight and faded out just as i hoped. it feels really comfortable in the hand for a Fh which showcased the little extra hss the gila had.

all in all,i am impressed with the mold and really like the flight. i just really need a max weight or heavier one to see if the stability changes ,i think i would like it even more. i will try to get in more rounds throughout the week and test it some more,i want to see how it compares to a fresher z wasp.

now to wait for heavier weights and brighter colors...

Awesome review Boot.

I think the Gila captures the glory of the Sanny Sentinel. It is definitely overstable... But it has a ton of glide and distance potential.

Great mid to build a cycle around.

Awesome review Boot.

I think the Gila captures the glory of the Sanny Sentinel. It is definitely overstable... But it has a ton of glide and distance potential.

Great mid to build a cycle around.

makes me wish i still had a sanny sent to compare the 2. i threw a lot of sanny sents back in the day but i stopped trying to get them several years ago. it definitely reminds me of those but with more glide as you mentioned. i agree it will be a good mid to cycle. i think the gila and wasp can coexist in my bag. my buddies sure like it a lot and both of them are roc3 throwers.

makes me wish i still had a sanny sent to compare the 2. i threw a lot of sanny sents back in the day but i stopped trying to get them several years ago. it definitely reminds me of those but with more glide as you mentioned. i agree it will be a good mid to cycle. i think the gila and wasp can coexist in my bag. my buddies sure like it a lot and both of them are roc3 throwers.

I'm amassing a stock pile of mids to make a comparison video

I have:
Brinster and Sanny Sentinel
RocX3
Bard
Warrior

Would like to pick up a Verdict as well

Echoing everyone's enthusiasm for the production run in heavier weights and different plastics. My proto is definitely a proto - tons of air bubbles in the rim and wing, some that have made it to the surface as well. But I'm a big fan of the plastic and the feel in the hand, not to mention the flight.

When I first heard about the Gila I thought it'd make a great bookend to a Roc cycle (I've been testing it against the Bard currently holding that position). But now I think in the right weights/plastics, it could be combined with a couple of Comets to really cover every mid line.

I think fresh Evo Gila, seasoned Fossil Gila, fresh Z Comet, seasoned X comet could do everything you'd ever need out of a midrange lineup. Max weight production runs of Gilas can't come soon enough. Thanks for making this disc a reality!

Got home from drill to find my Gila waiting for me! Proto stamp in American Flag foil...which I love of course!

I have to say (I havent thrown it yet) it is very unique feeling in the hand. I dont even have another disc I could compare it to. The bead is BIG, and the wing is majorly slanted. Now that is not to say it is uncomfortable...just unique. Mine is very flat, which I like as well. 172grams. I'll be throwing it tomorrow to test out!

A beaded Drone with a flat top. That is what the Gila truly feels like. I was gathering some discs to test against the Gila tomorrow, and grabbing a CryZtal Drone I noticed the similar handfeel. Im thinking they might fly similar...

Testing tomorrow:
172 g Gila
175g Z FLX Buzzz OS
178g CryZtal Drone
174g TP Bard
180g Champ RocX3

A beaded Drone with a flat top. That is what the Gila truly feels like. I was gathering some discs to test against the Gila tomorrow, and grabbing a CryZtal Drone I noticed the similar handfeel. Im thinking they might fly similar...

Testing tomorrow:
172 g Gila
175g Z FLX Buzzz OS
178g CryZtal Drone
174g TP Bard
180g Champ RocX3

If you've got a Z Hornet laying around, that's what I've found the most similarity to. I gave the only Buzzz OS I had to a cardmate after he lost his "favorite" and never replaced it, but I think a fresh BOS would be a very fair comparison as well. My old Z Hornet is in good condition, but obviously has been fairly seasoned after about 7 years of having it.

idk, the couple buzzz os' i threw were much more HSS and dumped out faster with less glide. i didnt have to throw the gila hard to get it to go but it was almost identical to my old z wasps. i can see the hornet being similar in distance and possible stability as well though. i feel the drone is going to be more os than the gila. maybe it will be closer in the heavier weights,not sure what weights everyone is throwing,my gila is 172.

Okay, after 4 days of drill and 2 days of spotty weather, Ive finally been able to really study the Gila. None of the discs that I listed as comparison really flew like the Gila, but it did remind me of a disc I had laying around...(more on that later)

FEEL
The Gila is pretty unique in handfeel. For one thing, it is WIDE diameter. Wider than my Rocs, for sure. So the width and depth feel truly Gateway inspired. The rim is pretty unique. The bead is noticeable but not super substantial...what makes it seems bigger is the slant of the rim. It took me awhile to pin it down (see revelatory post above) but the closest I can describe it as is a Drone with a bead. Thats not an exact comparison, but its close enough. There may be some Gateway traits hanging on, but this disc is truly RDG,baby!
The plastic is pretty great. Im not sure what RDG is calling it, but I would call it Armor-X. Stiffer rim than Armor, but gummier/grippier flight plate. As is RDG standard, the flight plate is mighty thin so that may be a factor in that area's gumminess.

FLIGHT
I was first throwing the Gila by itself, and I could n't imagine a similar type of flight. It comes fast out of the hand and you can feel it resisting the turn. Even into a moderate headwind it wasnt really drifting off-line. This disc scoots...finally I have found a disc that merits the moniker of "sneaky distance." I dont think Ive ever consistently thrown a mid-range as far as I was throwing the Gila. The fade bites pretty hard, but nothing too crazy. Sidearms fly nice but for my one-finger grip the rim/bead combo is just really uncomfortable.

I remembered a disc I had in my garage that I had gotten from a friend...a pretty beat FLX Drone, 175g. Throwing it and the Gila side-by-side and I was within 5 meters of each other, every throw. Often, the Gila and Drone would be nearly online but with the Gila going further. Its not a glidey mid, which makes it easy to range, especially on spike hyzers. That was one thing I used that old FLX Drone for a lot. Even the "give" of the discs was similar. I know thats a super-specific type of flight comparison, but it's what Ive got.

DURABILITY
No real issues. Ive been throwing it a lot the last few days, and Ive hit it off some rocks and a tree. No big impacts onto concrete, though. Needless to say, there is some scuffage. No real dents or dings, and the flight pattern remains the same. Its not bulletproof, but its good. Basically like every other type of. Champion/Opto/Z plastic.

CONCLUSION
I really like the Gila. I could see it and the Croc being my mid-range of choice if Fossil runs are made of each. The Gila does fly farther than the Croc by a large margin, but as I said, its easy to range. Ive been running Rocs for a LONG time, so saying that is kind of a scary prospect.

I would have trouble replacing my Glo Z Buzzz OS though. I dont think the Gila could replace it. But maybe at max weight (my Gila was only 172g) that could change...hopefully we see another run soon.

For now, my Rocs will be my mids. But if we get Fossil runs of the Gila and Croc (and some max weight Gilas) I could see by this time next year an all-RDG mid lineup!

Three Putt came through and sent me a Sanny Sentinel to compare to the Gila.

All I can say is.... SUCCESS.

Anyone else enjoying the flight of their Gila?

Now I just need DaveMac to run me a full batch of Diamond and Fossil.

Attachments

• Collage 2017-06-08 16_16_10.jpg
    Collage 2017-06-08 16_16_10.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 70
.............................Anyone else enjoying the flight of their Gila?

Now I just need DaveMac to run me a full batch of Diamond and Fossil.

Yes, very much so, the over-stable roc I have been looking for.............

This disc in fossil (or even fossil-fuel, colors yea!) around 168-175g (for cycling) would be truly awesome!

Latest posts