• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Croc: Stable Mid-Range

The Croc & Gila are likely going to have a similar relationship as the Scale and Serpent.

The Gila will be our best selling, most thrown mid.... But the Croc is probably the more user friendly disc.

I played nine holes today and threw a Croc/Gila approach on every hole without skipping a beat. This is a nice tandem for certain.

I'll be honest, I'm more looking forward to the Croc. I've always liked the feel of Lightning discs and the small bead should fit my grip well.

Gilas flight is intriguing, but that bead is pretty big.

Mine arrived today. Throwing them in the woods now (just finished front 9 at Freedom Center). Full review later. For now will just say this mold is a winner. Just enough glide and stability for tight windows, super controllable on just about any line (the glow doesn't like the anny as much as the non-glow), feel great in the hand, bead is good size (noticeable but not obtrusive)...just a great disc.

Croc, Hydra Lithium, Terra Firma Lithium...killer woods lineup...just need that overstable Gila to round it out.

Nice job on these RDG.

Mine arrived today. Throwing them in the woods now (just finished front 9 at Freedom Center). Full review later. For now will just say this mold is a winner. Just enough glide and stability for tight windows, super controllable on just about any line (the glow doesn't like the anny as much as the non-glow), feel great in the hand, bead is good size (noticeable but not obtrusive)...just a great disc.

Croc, Hydra Lithium, Terra Firma Lithium...killer woods lineup...just need that overstable Gila to round it out.

Nice job on these RDG.

Lightning did the hard part lol.

They just are old and have terrible names.
Needed a dose of Reptile Style and this mold will be carving lines for a new generation.

Lightning did the hard part lol.

They just are old and have terrible names.
Needed a dose of Reptile Style and this mold will be carving lines for a new generation.

This is truth. The Hookshot, Upshot and Helix series are all viable discs in the modern game. The names are just the worst and the marketing in the last 10 years has been virtually non existent.

My Crocs came in today!
Crazy how different the material on the glow feels. Granted,Lightning is the epitome of "old school" discs, but the glow material feels exactly like the old Midnight Flyers from Wham-O. For those of us who threw back in the day, the nostalgia alone will make this a worthy buy.

I also have to give a shoutout to the shipping department...I requested the flag foil stamp on my orange swirl and they hooked it up! Great looking mids with a very old school feel.

Sadly, a huge storm is rolling through tomorrow but I will be throwing these tomorrow. I also got a RocX3 in today so it will be a fun day of testing tomorrow!

This is truth. The Hookshot, Upshot and Helix series are all viable discs in the modern game. The names are just the worst and the marketing in the last 10 years has been virtually non existent.

I need to try some of these out apparently as the Croc absolutely shreds in the woods (Shameless Self Promotion: Won division in club monthly at Biscoe's newly designed course today, thanks in large part to throwing the heck out of these Crocs).

So, what makes this different than the SR-71? Other than maybe plastic blend?

Yeah these are straight up SR-71 with a new stamp and name.
We are introducing folks to the feel, flight and shape of the mold in hopes of a full fledged Fossil run in the future.

Lightning has awesome discs... No one gives them a look however due to their age, names and lack of hype.

We are looking to help shed some light on these killer discs and get them into. The hands of a new generation of players.

The Croc is very old-school in feel,as most Lightning discs are. Those who have only come into the sport in the last few years will get a kick out of this "blast from the past" as it were.

Well here's my review.

Background: went out today and played 3 rounds. Using my Upper Park Focus, I loaded up my 2 new Crocs, an SR-71 stamped #3 Hookshot, a Roc3x and an Organic Wizard. Played two rounds, one round of "quads" (where I would throw all four mids off the tee then play the best one) and one round just traditionally. First round was -8, second round was -4. The course I played was Cumberland Green in Fountain, CO (local short course, only 3 hole over 300 feet in its current set up.)

Discs Used:
-180g Champ RocX3
-181g Glow Croc
-175g Orange Swirl Croc
-172g Purple Swirl SR-71
-174g Organic Soft Wizard

General Impressions: the Roc X3, as I expected, flew almost nothing like the Croc/SR-71, so Im not going to mention it further.

Generally, all the Crocs flew the same. The lightest (the SR-71) had a bit more turn to it but the same fade. The Croc excels on low lines, thrown hard. It has not only an old school feel and look, it has truly old school glide. Rather than the more forward coasting type of glide of modern discs, it has more "loft" or "float." Because of this, if you throw the Croc high or nose up, it absolutley will stall out and rob you of distance, even on a hyzer or anhyzer angle.

The best way to throw the Croc, I found, was hard with a very small amount of hyzer angle. Keeping it low, it will flip flat and cruise on a frozen rope with noticeable but controllable fade at the end of the flight. Another shot I loved the Croc for was those 260-280 foot hyzer shots. Hole 2 in the current Cumberland position is at 265 feet and I was putting them right under the basket every time. Just point and shoot.

None of the Crocs held an anhyzer angle to the ground (more on that later) but neither would they flex back enough to finish back on line. As is typical with most old school type discs, it is not forehand friendly...or at least not to my torqued out forehand. Those of you with smooth forehands will be able to shape the Croc nicely though. There are, of course,better discs for this though.

I tried some overhands...not advisable.

Specific Disc Critiques:
Glow Croc: as you can imagine, the glow Croc had the most total stability, but not by much. It had a bit heavier fade than the other Crocs. The glow plastic is much grippier...as I said elsewhere on this thread, it is very reminiscent of the old Midnight Flyer plastic. I felt like it allowed for better "snap" on a full pull. The biggest takeaway though is how easily beat this plastic is. After these two rounds it is very knicked and scratched up...the most durable part is the stamp, seriously. Oddly, the flight really didnt change: I noticed a little less high speed stability towards the end of the second round, but that could have been me getting warmed up and throwing harder. Glow Croc was my favorite of the Crocs

Orange Swirl Croc: very waxy feeling plastic, even after a pre-round wash with dish soap. All the Crocs are domey, but the orange swirl at a slight but noticeable more amount of rise. The bead on the bottom was also slightly sharp. This Croc had the most truly neutral flight and was just a joy to throw. This Croc was more Buzzz than Roc, but still a very fun disc. I like the Glow better, but I can see these high weight swirl Crocs will be highly popular.

SR-71 stamped #3 Hookshot: the lightest and the most understable. Again though, these are very small degrees of flight difference we are talking about. I found this disc easy to get a full power rip on. Also highly waxy.

Hope that gives everyone a good overview of the Croc...can't wait for some Fossil runs!

Awesome write up Andy!

As with all our discs, the Croc won't be a flashy game changer in your bag.

They're steady mids that excel between 150-300 ft. And hold a fantastic line. The plastic is susceptible to damage but honestly, I enjoy a quick seasoning into the "Sweet Spot".

I bag Crocs and will conceivably throw them for the rest of my DG days. Thank you to Lightning for allowing me to bring these back to the masses. Here's to fundraising for a Fossil run!

They're steady mids that excel between 150-300 ft. And hold a fantastic line. The plastic is susceptible to damage but honestly, I enjoy a quick seasoning into the "Sweet Spot".

!

I can see Crocs being very useful in a cycle, particularly when a Fossil run is made. I think Fossil will last longer than the glow but probably not as long as the Standard, which seems to hold up markedly better. The Croc starts off with that perfect stability that you can tell will beat in nicely over time.

Until the Gila and Fossil Crocs arrive, my Rocs are secure in the bag. I will keep throwing these Crocs in occasion though, because they are really fun mids to throw.

Man, I am loving this disc. So much so that honestly it has kind of dampened my excitement for my Gila to arrive. I am not a power player by any means, and honestly for me, I get stability out of the Glow Croc that I am seeing in my beat K3 Kaxe (though Croc is much shorter), similarly I am getting stable lines and slight anny lines with the standard that I would normally way power down on a Kaxe Z for. Obviously the Croc is shorter and slower, but hitting tight gaps I have been more consistent with these this week.

Favorite thing so far is the glide on the initial fade with these. It's not too much, not too little....just predictable I guess, which at my level of play is what I crave in a disc. Point this where I want it to go, throw it, go pick it up from within feet of where I wanted it to land. Not sure what more to ask of a mid.

These might have finally got me away from tweener mids...well pending next weeks test of the Gila VS. K1 Kaxe anyways.

... Glad I ordered 2... One nasty kick off a tree on a downhill hole and my gorgeous purple swirl was 30' into some gnarly stagnant pond water. No way I could see to get it back unless I stripped down to my skivvies and went feeling with my toes... in black water covered in a 1/4" of algae... Not my bag of nickles. SO! I'll throw my glow, love the stamp, and wait for another run of swirly Crocs. Great flying disc for 250'-300' tunnels that you need something to stay flat, never want to flip, and finish fairly gently. Croc is a solid entry into a familiar slot.

Just curious...the Croc is the Sr-71, which is the #3 hookshot, correct? I was looking on inbounds flight chart and they have the Croc and #3HS as flying differently.

I just went to order a couple more of these and saw they are sold out...so congrats on selling out this run.

Played 5 rounds this week (90 holes) and logged 58 throws with my Crocs on those 90 holes. Did not realize how often I was reaching for them until I added it up this morning (to my dismay, only threw the Gila 8x). These things have hit that sweet spot so quickly, exactly the disc I have been looking for. My Yellow is truly neutral at this point...not a line out there it can't handle (well, except for big OS) and has picked up so much glide it is crazy long for a 4 speed now. What I am loving though is the variation in power it responds to...dead straight at 275' no problem but also dead straight at 175', it is pretty outstanding.

Yeah... I logged in to buy a glow and they were gone.

Can't wait for another run!