• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Croc: Stable Mid-Range

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
I'd proud to introduce the latest project from Reptilian Disc Golf!
The Croc is a stable mid-range capable of being cycled into various stages of wear.

Initial flight numbers are 4, 4, 0, 2

The mold is an old school design with a smooth dome and a small beaded wing.
Players will find solid resistance to turn when powered up & comfortable finish.

XUhzXyCl.jpg

The Croc is to be molded by one of the original manufacturers of our sport... LIGHTNING DISCS!

I've been toying around with their molds recently and in true RDG fashion, we've decided to revitalize some vintage discs with a fresh infusion of #ReptileStyle

Initially we will have these discs available in Prehistoric Plastic (Lightning's Standard/Glow blends) while we raise funds to create a Fossil run.

Croc vs. Roc: I'll preface this by saying that I love Rocs. The Croc can be swapped out without issue in my bag, even gaining a slight bit more distance off the tee.
You can see that the Croc has a slighty higher parting line and a smaller bead. Thrown side by side, the Croc will have similar speed, HSS & fade. The Croc however does seem to hold a forced anny a touch longer due to the smaller bead.

PTB5UFzl.jpg

Overall I CANNOT wait to add the Croc to the RDG arsenal. We have waited a long time before releasing a true mid & we are proud to work with Lightning to bring this mold to the Craft Disc masses. Hopefully this leads to a very successful relationship between one of the old labels in the sport & one of the youngest.

It looks like the old Hyzer series, is that what you've based it on?

I've never thrown any Lightning discs, only briefly handled a couple beat-up ones I found on the course a long time ago. What is this plastic blend like? I assume it's baseline. Does it break in more quickly or less quickly than DX would you say (loaded question because of all the blends of DX over the years I know)? Or how would it compare it to say the Latitude Zero line, Gateway SureGrip, Fossil, etc.

I have heard their new standard is a bit better than the old swirly plastic. The old one was fairly grippy in a waxy way, and could take some impact without warping but scuffed really badly.

Honestly I will probably try this disc if the retail is right and if they run it in Fossil it could be worth a real shot.

Hell, if it's a fundraiser for a Fossil run, I won't care too much. I'll just let them beat in until I get Fossil which seasons quite slowly for base plastic and only gets better with age. My oldest Scales are things of absolute beauty!

Moose is dead on.
The Prehistoric will scuff with ease but isn't prone to warping.

I've found that with a lighter I can repair any damage that occurs just like DX.

Also, being a mid, it holds up to abuse a lot better than a driver.

A few weeks?!? I was hoping the answer was going to be a few days. :(

I've already warmed up a spot in my bag for it!!

Do you need any testers?? :D

If you ever need a cheap floating disc that flies nice, the Lightning #2 driver is like a 8/4/-1/2 and comes in weights up to 175g that STILL FLOAT. I have one around for those water holes and the discs are like $8 new.

Pretty excited about this. I love the #2 Hookshot from Lightning and this sounds like it may be similar. At projected 4 Speed sounds like this will sit nicely between my Terra Firma Plutoniums and Kaxe Zs.

Congrats on/thanks for this one jcass.

Pretty excited about this. I love the #2 Hookshot from Lightning and this sounds like it may be similar. At projected 4 Speed sounds like this will sit nicely between my Terra Firma Plutoniums and Kaxe Zs.

Congrats on/thanks for this one jcass.

Thanks!
I've always enjoyed finding the diamond in the rough. Lightning has a lot of diamonds that need more exposure.
I think this relationship will do wonders for both of us.

Moose is dead on.
The Prehistoric will scuff with ease but isn't prone to warping.

I've found that with a lighter I can repair any damage that occurs just like DX.

Also, being a mid, it holds up to abuse a lot better than a driver.
This is actually a thing. Steve Howle got the PDGA to change the rules and allow you repair a disc with heat because that was how his plastic blend was designed.

The glow stuff was a little tougher than the regular blend as I recall. Other than the Upshots I still throw, the last Lightning discs I threw were glow #1 Flyers (threw them in a Leopard/Cheetah slot) and they lasted as long as a DX driver would.

The swirly soft stuff was a double-edged sword...I sold a ton of it but it was the least durable plastic I threw a lot of. The older airplane-vintage plastic was better IMO.

Last edited:
If you ever need a cheap floating disc that flies nice, the Lightning #2 driver is like a 8/4/-1/2 and comes in weights up to 175g that STILL FLOAT. I have one around for those water holes and the discs are like $8 new.
The #2 Driver was the F-15 Eagle, it's a really really ancient mold. It's a bit of a mid top/fairway driver wing hybrid with a Cyclone-ish diameter. It was always a longer Roc. People wouldn't throw them because of the stupid disc golf politics of the day, but they were missing out. It was a great disc. And...it floated. :p

You'll have my money within minutes of this hitting the Faction website - unless I'm playing ball. In that case you might have to wait until in between innings

I am hoping this beats into a beautiful straight flying tunnel shot disc.