• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: OS Mid

Three Putt came through and sent me a Sanny Sentinel to compare to the Gila.

All I can say is.... SUCCESS.

Anyone else enjoying the flight of their Gila?

Now I just need DaveMac to run me a full batch of Diamond and Fossil.

I'm down for a couple of blues or pinks in diamond

Anyone else enjoying the flight of their Gila?

I am. Honestly though my experience with it has been slightly different than a lot of the reviews above. I like it, but I am not a power player by any means and am struggling a bit to really dial it in.

It is a very different flight than I am used to. It absolutely shines at the moment when it makes that left turn...it's like it has a nitrous kit that kicks in and just pulls some extra glide out of nowhere. As such, it is a dogleg shredding machine and I am finding it is longer in the second stage of flight than my K3 Kaxe but shorter in the initial (straight) stage. It's a really cool flight and presents options I didn't have before just not something I am used to and is taking some time to get it just right.

That said, the diameter+bead size is absolutely perfect and extremely easy to release clean.

I am headed to some woods courses tomorrow to play around with it some more and will try to get a full review up this weekend. It's a good disc and right now I do like it, however I absolutely love the Croc and for how I play I do think the Croc will be my go-to mid while this will serve as more of a utility. Could change though.

Went out an played a round at Cumberland Green today (short course, barely more thana pitch n'putt) using all RDG in my Upper Park Focus:
-172g Gila
-177g Glow Croc
-171g SR-71/Croc
-175g Fossil Fuel Scale
-173g Fossil Wizard

My course average at Cumberland is 46. Shot a 43 today...not my best score there but close! There was very little wind, so I was able to really test out the Gila. I found it actually really useful for soft hyzers...the kind of shot I would put some gusto into a Scale for. I also got a few decent sidearms in. It did flip on those, even medium-low power, but never all the way over. My sidearm is pretty poopy though...

Fantastic mold. I really enjoy throwing it!

my Gilas are starting to break in after 36 holes on my rocky home course. this soft diamond evo is definitely quick to nick and scuff. it was mentioned before: a nicely worn FLX Drone is a great flight & plastic feel comparison at this point.

not usually a fan of softer plastics, but this is a nice balance. cycling diamond Gilas might be easy if the wear continues this rapidly, especially in these lighter weights.

I really wish I had time to test these. Been traveling and crazy busy. I am hoping to play Monday.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Any comparisons between the Gila and the Anchor? As of right now I'm rocking Anchor (fades 2/3 into the flight, good confident overstable line shaper) Vector (line drive with a little fade) axis (beat into slightly understable, hyzer flip to ever so slow turn to the right and doesn't come back) and fuse which is more of my understable putter. All of those feel fairly similar in my hand (similar diameter, beaded) and I don't need another mold to try but I was curious if cycling Gilas could make my 2-3ish molds turn into 1

How did I just hear about this now?!? Pretty bummed I didn't get me one of those Proto's..
Been dreaming of a mid just like this for a while now.

Get some heavy, stiff premium and stiff baseline in, and you can probably just take all my moneyz.

Any comparisons between the Gila and the Anchor? As of right now I'm rocking Anchor (fades 2/3 into the flight, good confident overstable line shaper) Vector (line drive with a little fade) axis (beat into slightly understable, hyzer flip to ever so slow turn to the right and doesn't come back) and fuse which is more of my understable putter. All of those feel fairly similar in my hand (similar diameter, beaded) and I don't need another mold to try but I was curious if cycling Gilas could make my 2-3ish molds turn into 1

It's early in my Gila cycle but I do believe you could achieve all of these lines with a variety of Gilas in different plastics and level of wear.

My intentionally beat Gila will push straight for a long time before it settles down.

I designed the Gila to wear like a Roc. Retain strong HSS and have the LSS reduce slow and steady. The big bead and high parting line should keep a reliable flight for a long time.

It might take a while to get a Gila to fuse level, but if you want to quickly have a taste of that cycle you could go Amber (Diamond) Gila, Fossil Gila (when we make them), Diamond Element & S Element
Both discs will feel nearly identical in the hand but will produce a variety of lines.

I think a beat Croc could achieve a similar flight to the Fuse. Especially with the Croc's "old school" glide which gets even glidier as it beats in.

I dont see a Gila ever beating into a Fuse type flight...it would take a severe thrashing to get there for sure. Who knows how long it would hold that spot for? I just think a Croc is the better way to go.

And the Gila is more overstable all around than the Anchor.

I threw the Gila a bunch today back to back with a Brinster Sentinel and circle stamp Champ Gazelle.

The Gila has great glide and overstability. It seemed to have slightly more glide and overstability then the Sentinel. I got the same distance out of the two but the Gila was consistently further to the left. The Gila was way more comfortable to forehand and flew very nicely with a forehand. It was a little shorter then the Champ Gazelle but it seemed to glide more and was less overstable then that disc.

Very nice flying disc. I am going to try it out for a bit longer.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Finally got a chance to throw this in the field. Wow. This is pretty much exactly the disc I wanted it to be. Flew about identical to my Ghost with a harder "sweepier" fade. They'd go about the same distance but this would be about 10 feet farther to the right (I'm left handed.) Glide's great, feels great in the hand. This is exactly what I've been looking for as an overstable mid that's not gator brick overstable. This is definitely going directly in the bag and I'll stock up on some more as soon as I can. Well done.

So I picked up a 171 proto Gila. Been throwing it around for a few days now. All I can say is that I am super impressed about this mold. Ill give a little review here of my experiences with it so far..

This disc is one of the most comfortable discs I have owned. Feels great for fan grip, power grip, and forehand. I love that. I can use any grip on this disc with confidence. The plastic is awesome, too. Feels like it has a lot of integrity and is grippy.

The best part is how the Gila flies. I think RDG totally nailed a "faster, more overstable Roc". That's exactly how it is. Solid HSS and LSS, and still maintains a good amount of glide. Sneaky distance, too. Flies as far as my Sentinels. It felt predictable and comfortable to me right away, so much so that I chained out of an ace my first round with it!

I've been throwing it alongside my Sentinels just to compare the two. They fly pretty similar, but I find the Gila to be a little "sturdier" I would say. When thrown flat and hard, they acted pretty alike. But, the Gila seems to do controlled hyzers and anny flex lines much better. My Sentinels do not like anhyzer, and dont like to flex back out (could be operator error).
The Gila works great on forehand lines too.
Overall, in comparison to my Sentinels, I was surprised to find how much more workable the Gila is in my game. They fly similar on certain shots, but I have found the Gila to be the better disc. RDG has officially kicked my Sentinels out of the bag!

Looking forward to some max weight Fossil and Diamond Gila's! Congrats on making another great mold, Jamie!

Awesome review!

I am so proud of what this disc is and will become once we finally get a full batch....

Trying to get run time has proven to be difficult.