• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Re-doing my form, stand still putting, critique welcome.

Based on the fact that my pain isn't really going away when I grip and that my lateral epicondyle seems to be inflamed, I'm guessing I have tennis elbow. :(

Hitting an orthopedist on Monday, but I might be out longer than I want.

Maybe you will forget bad habits. Get a flex bar. I'd see a physical therapist, not an orthopedist.

Maybe you will forget bad habits. Get a flex bar. I'd see a physical therapist, not an orthopedist.

I'm just going to the ortho to confirm that's what it is, mainly.

And yeah, the annoying part is that hammer video you posted really helped, I think, and I'm more conscious of keeping my whole body turning together which has GOT to be easier on my arm than letting it race ahead as I was doing.

Went to a "deep in the game" clinic and, unfortunately, Simon Lizotte didn't show. Avery's great and all, but I feel like his throw is ... different. I think he uses a lot of athleticism and arm. Anyhow, large class, I just mainly went to see Simon throw 700 ft and not cause I thought I'd really get many huge tips. Avery told me to pick my arm-speed up... which... is kind of the opposite of what I'd been working on, but eventually, sure. When it's sync'ed with my hips and shoulders.

Elbow still painful. Ortho recommended against the flex bar, but he also didn't inspire a huge amount of confidence in me at the visit. I was going to wait and see how it does with just the arm band, but so far I'm not sure it's healing all that well.

Well you do want more lower arm speed at the end of the throw. Loose arm is a fast arm when whipped from the hips. Even though Avery is a huge athletic guy, he has some of the best footwork to create arm speed.

Elbow pain is often from extending fully before/through impact, and gripping too hard/often. The elbow should have some flex through impact, just like you would punch through a target and not punch at it. I'd recommend seeing a physical therapist and not playing until they say it's ok.

I had the same elbow problems. Taking prescription anti inflammatory meds didn't help. I took 4 months off and then tried to start playing again but it was still painful. 8 weeks of seeing a physical therapist and it feels great now

I had the same elbow problems. Taking prescription anti inflammatory meds didn't help. I took 4 months off and then tried to start playing again but it was still painful. 8 weeks of seeing a physical therapist and it feels great now

Damn. OK, I really need to set that appointment up. :p

So.. I might have done a bad thing. After my 2nd meeting with my PT, I went out and threw. o_O

However, I only threw like 30-40 discs and it was just to confirm some suspicions, which I did. After watching Lizotte, Wiggins, and Gurthie at the Texas Open, I noticed how at the apex of their throw you could really see them unleashing that right shoulder, as if trying to knock down a door with it and I realized that I think by concentrating to much on the line that I'm trying to pull, I've been initiating the throw with my forearm/hand, as if trying to pick up a paint bucket without using your shoulder or knees.

I'm fairly sure that's the source of my tennis elbow.

Furthermore, I realized that trying to pull the line tends to make me release higher with my shoulder, causing the shrugging and the wrist roll... but if I think of the throw like wiping a table top just below my chest with a cloth as if I'm cleaning it, I get a much better release. That is, worrying about keeping my hand low is a much easier way to get my pull to work, physically, than worrying about pulling down a straight line, because if you get the disc out away from your body in the backswing and then lead with that shoulder (of course, the hips have to go in front of the shoulder, but the shoulder is my focal point to get emphasis off the forearm), then my pull through is straight.

It doesn't lock, just have to click the box that says you sure you want to revive old thread or something.

Latest posts