• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Rebranded Molds

On that note isn't the Rift a Buzzz with a spacer?

Not trying to be funny, I honestly don't know what company produces the Rift. Googling after I post lol...

Wrong guy to ask;)

EDIT: I'd agree with BroD less blunt than a Buzzz (never held a Rift, though) https://cdn-abagi.nitrocdn.com/VtMR...ontent/uploads/pl-rift-midrange-disc-hero.jpg

Mustang on left. Pathfinder on the right. I suppose they could have just molded up a little different but the lower wing angle doesn't look the same and for whatever reason the Mustang feels deeper but I didn't measure them. Hard to tell from the picture but the Mustang has a mild dome so maybe that's why it feels deeper to me.

I've held many-a-disc, those could equally be the same mold different run or knockoffs of one another a la Roc/Ghost (closer to a Roc than a Wasp IMO)

Last edited:
Y87YH1G.jpg

Rift on left, Buzzz on right.

The Rift is like a squished down Buzzz. The nose is actually rather similarly squared off, but the wing isn't as tall. Transition from the top of the nose to the shoulder is slightly rounder on the Rift (maybe?)

The Buzzz feels much taller/shallower than the Rift, because of the slimmer profile of the Rift, but also because the Rift has a wider rim. The rim of the Rift measures in at 14.5mm, while the Buzzz's rim measures in at 12.8mm.

While we're at it what's the consensus regarding the old P2/Firefly/Alpaca/Omega4? All the same mold in different plastics or near enough to make no difference?

While we're at it what's the consensus regarding the old P2/Firefly/Alpaca/Omega4? All the same mold in different plastics or near enough to make no difference?

Not sure about the Omega4, but by all accounts the others are the same mold.

Y87YH1G.jpg

Rift on left, Buzzz on right.

The Rift is like a squished down Buzzz. The nose is actually rather similarly squared off, but the wing isn't as tall. Transition from the top of the nose to the shoulder is slightly rounder on the Rift (maybe?)

The Buzzz feels much taller/shallower than the Rift, because of the slimmer profile of the Rift, but also because the Rift has a wider rim. The rim of the Rift measures in at 14.5mm, while the Buzzz's rim measures in at 12.8mm.

Agreed with you on all points. They don't feel or fly similar enough to be the same mold - the buzzz is best on a flat lazer beam shot and the rift is a hyzer flip mid that will hold a turn easier. Anecdotal but that's my experience. I very much dislike the feel and flight of a buzzz, but the rift immediately clicks and I'm comfortable with it

Agreed with you on all points. They don't feel or fly similar enough to be the same mold - the buzzz is best on a flat lazer beam shot and the rift is a hyzer flip mid that will hold a turn easier. Anecdotal but that's my experience. I very much dislike the feel and flight of a buzzz, but the rift immediately clicks and I'm comfortable with it

I'm not a fan of its tall and shallow feel either. I'm going to try and get a buddy of mine who likes dying discs to see if he can replicate my favorite seafoam green/teal color on some glow reactors. Getting a couple of those and a couple streamline echoes when they come out would be the dream.

I mentioned the Omega4 earlier. I put with them. IMO the shoulder of the flight plate is more angular and less rounded than P2s I'm familiar with, but it acts identically and may actually be a P2 of some era.

Just got a new metal flake fd3… exact same as the flat top firebirds / Draco's :)

Just got a new metal flake fd3… exact same as the flat top firebirds / Draco's :)

Lol. I thought the Firebird guys were always bashing the Pioneer? Suddenly they call it the FD3 and it gets some love?

Source on the "reinvented" FD3 just being a Pioneer? I haven't heard that allegation before. ��

Lol wasn't aware of the pioneer until now but seeing as the FD3 is a firebird it wouldn't surprise me. I remember the older Fd3s being closer to a thunderbird in the mold.

Source on the "reinvented" FD3 just being a Pioneer? I haven't heard that allegation before. [emoji848]

Total speculation on my part. With Discmania in bed with Latitude these days I can't imagine they aren't sharing molds or mold parts at this point in the game.

I do have one Pioneer and it is the closest trilogy mold to a flat Firebird.

Total speculation on my part. With Discmania in bed with Latitude these days I can't imagine they aren't sharing molds or mold parts at this point in the game.

I do have one Pioneer and it is the closest trilogy mold to a flat Firebird.

Lat64 designer came up with the Pioneer/Ahti/Felon/Splice/FD3 in this OS 9 speed space, probably all pretty similar in design with slight changes to tweak the flights. Discmania now owns the molds and their own machines so its unlikely any shared pieces exist between the 2 molds they have and the Lat64/Westside/Trilogy ones.

Innova made FD3s were just a different Firebird top mold piece on the Firebird rim. Some of my Firebirds have very similar shapes (Sexton/Star/Luster ones) to the FD3s. Innova probably has 3 or more Firebird top pieces for all the different plastic blends/stabilities they are manufacturing.

Lat64 designer came up with the Pioneer/Ahti/Felon/Splice/FD3 in this OS 9 speed space, probably all pretty similar in design with slight changes to tweak the flights. Discmania now owns the molds and their own machines so its unlikely any shared pieces exist between the 2 molds they have and the Lat64/Westside/Trilogy ones.

Innova made FD3s were just a different Firebird top mold piece on the Firebird rim. Some of my Firebirds have very similar shapes (Sexton/Star/Luster ones) to the FD3s. Innova probably has 3 or more Firebird top pieces for all the different plastic blends/stabilities they are manufacturing.
Dude, Lat64 makes all of their discs, of course they are re-using mold pieces. They already have a few discs that are identical. The p2 and whatever that DD putter is, for example.

Dude, Lat64 makes all of their discs, of course they are re-using mold pieces. They already have a few discs that are identical. The p2 and whatever that DD putter is, for example.

Actually I don't think so. Yes Evolution line is made 100% by Lat64 as DM says so. The new originals line is made in Discmanias own factory (which is next door to the lat64 factory). I don't see any benefit of using existing mold pieces as the originals line is made to be a 1:1 replica of the of Innova made molds. Also DM has said their goal is to bring the evolution line to IN-house production in the future.

Actually I don't think so. Yes Evolution line is made 100% by Lat64 as DM says so. The new originals line is made in Discmanias own factory (which is next door to the lat64 factory). I don't see any benefit of using existing mold pieces as the originals line is made to be a 1:1 replica of the of Innova made molds. Also DM has said their goal is to bring the evolution line to IN-house production in the future.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3778806&postcount=4629

This post from the Ask Discmania thread in January '22 mentions transitioning the production of the Evolution line in house as 'in progress'. My point earlier was that DM was trying to get away from sharing molds with another manufacturer (Innova) and they learned their lesson from being tied to that company's capacity and ownership of the physical molds.

While DM is using identical machines/processes (and probably has some former Lat64 workers operating them) as Lat64, they have the ability to cut ties and go independent/elsewhere to get discs designed, plastic blends formulated, and new molds created as long as they match the specifications of the machines.

Is there really a separate DM factory next door to the Lat 64 factory? And it has the exact same type of machines? The proximity seems a little suspicious. I would guess it would be more cost effective to rent the usage of the Lat 64 machines than to build an entirely new factory. And if building a new factory, why next door to Lat 64?

Anyway….

Evolution line has obvious trilogy similarities
Link - Judge
Logic - Warden
Instinct - Explorer

Is there a trilogy driver that is a match of the Enigma?

And for the originals line, is the new P2 really a different mold than the Faith or Agent? I doubt it. Not familiar enough with other originals molds, but seems like that one is definitely shared.

From what I read, their new HQ is right next door to Latitude's factory, and they bought Latitude's old machines to use? Some of that Opto Ice looks very much like Italian C-Line, even if Latitude says it's a German blend.