• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What ever became of the original discraft venom?

Sewer bill

Eagle Member
I recently got to hold a new venom and it's nothing like the old one.

Did they sell the old mold or scrap the tooling or just rebrand it under a new name?

The old venom was pretty unusual but had some utility in its flight shape. The new one seems like another generic fast hyzer finish disc.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3875990#post3875990
Discraft says this about the Venom: "Drive your fangs into the all-new Venom. This entirely retooled disc is here to stay. That's why our team took everything that works (and nothing that doesn't) about the previous Venom to bring you a reimagined, consistent, overstable maximum distance driver. Fulfilling a need in many players bags, this addition to our lineup will become a favorite amongst power throwers and those looking for a reliable distance driver."

Did they sell the old mold or scrap the tooling or just rebrand it under a new name?

The old venom was pretty unusual but had some utility in its flight shape. The new one seems like another generic fast hyzer finish disc.

They didn't sell so they didn't make more (although I think they made some for Ledgestone some time recently). I didn't really find anything unusual about them. I wish the PDGA would stop approving multiple molds under the same name.

Wasn't the issue with the Venom that they had trouble running it in premium plastic at legal weights? As I recall it was always a Pro D production run disc; and premium plastic Venoms were specialty runs. A base plastic-only beef disc would have been a hard sell.

They didn't sell so they didn't make more (although I think they made some for Ledgestone some time recently). I didn't really find anything unusual about them. I wish the PDGA would stop approving multiple molds under the same name.

For me what was unusual was brand new they were somewhat flippy with an extremely hard fade. Almost like a very beat in overstable disc that would flip up from hyzer but fade with enough stability to skip on hard ground.

I had 4 of them in blue esp plastic, I think I bought them from Mike at sun king.

I mean if you are going to approve 30,000 discs/year, you are going to run out of names. :|

Wasn't the issue with the Venom that they had trouble running it in premium plastic at legal weights? As I recall it was always a Pro D production run disc; and premium plastic Venoms were specialty runs. A base plastic-only beef disc would have been a hard sell.

I never saw the pro d versions I had esp versions and several friends also had esp ones. It would have probably been a terrible disc to beat up in base plastic mine were flippy brand new in esp.

It became the plastic addicts intervention which I think is now oop.

When the Discraft Flick and Venom were released I thought they were Gateway Spirit and Illusion clones.

When the Discraft Flick and Venom were released I thought they were Gateway Spirit and Illusion clones.

I wish the flick was an og spirit clone. The original spirits had an obnoxious combination of glide and overstability.

The illusion seems like it was trying to be something like a wraith or surge.

I wish the flick was an og spirit clone. The original spirits had an obnoxious combination of glide and overstability.

The illusion seems like it was trying to be something like a wraith or surge.

Except the illusion came out almost 2 years before the wraith and surge... The illusion got a bad rap for being faster than is useful and unpredictable. It wasn't until premium plastic was around and they figured out how to make it work for the wide rims, around when wraith came out and then the teerex that everyones games were really ready to take advantage

The Flick and Venom neither had the HSS of a spirit, but they were definitely intended to be that OS, which was part of their failure and what made them cool. The flick actually could turn quite easily for a ways but had some wicked LSS, venom was more mellow in both.

I agree on the Spirit, its a bummer they are so flat and ridiculously beefy these days. I may be sitting (and not moving) off a stack of em though.

Except the illusion came out almost 2 years before the wraith and surge... The illusion got a bad rap for being faster than is useful and unpredictable. It wasn't until premium plastic was around and they figured out how to make it work for the wide rims, around when wraith came out and then the teerex that everyones games were really ready to take advantage

The Flick and Venom neither had the HSS of a spirit, but they were definitely intended to be that OS, which was part of their failure and what made them cool. The flick actually could turn quite easily for a ways but had some wicked LSS, venom was more mellow in both.

I agree on the Spirit, its a bummer they are so flat and ridiculously beefy these days. I may be sitting (and not moving) off a stack of em though.

That's wild that the illusion came out before the wraith I had no idea. I started throwing them a year or more after the surge came out I figured they were trying to get on that wraith type flight bandwagon.

Gateway was somewhat popular in my area due to John e and jen coming through slinging discs out of their falling apart mini van. He gave me a couple really nice illusions they were pop top baby blue and flew almost identical to beat in wraiths. GG also was throwing those blue illusions at that time too and made them look like beat up roadrunners coming out of his hand.

If discraft was trying to get the Venom in the spirit stability range they failed spectacularly lol.

Those baby blue Illusions were a thing of beauty, but they were a goof run and Gateway couldn't (or didn't) replicate them. Gateway drivers are like a box of chocolates. :\

That's wild that the illusion came out before the wraith I had no idea. I started throwing them a year or more after the surge came out I figured they were trying to get on that wraith type flight bandwagon.

Gateway was somewhat popular in my area due to John e and jen coming through slinging discs out of their falling apart mini van. He gave me a couple really nice illusions they were pop top baby blue and flew almost identical to beat in wraiths. GG also was throwing those blue illusions at that time too and made them look like beat up roadrunners coming out of his hand.

If discraft was trying to get the Venom in the spirit stability range they failed spectacularly lol.
Innova learned back in the 90's with the Python that if you jump forward with wing size in big steps, players won't know what to do with them. They had a target of the 2.1cm wing (Dave Dunipace put out a post when the Destroyer came out that he thought the 2.1cm wing should have been the limit) but they inched us toward it by adding .1cm through a series of releases.

Gateway at some point decided not to wait and jumped up to the 2.1cm wing while Innova was still rolling out the 2.0cm winged discs. Innova didn't care and stuck to their schedule, so it was almost two years later that the 2.1cm Innova drivers came out. So those Gateway drivers were the fastest discs on the market for a couple of years.

Then the wings just kept getting bigger and everybody forgot about them.

And he was right... unless it should have been even lower.
No argument here.

I think the 2.1cm wing idea had to do with the ratio of wing on a 21cm diameter disc, which isn't very scientific but neither is the limit we have now.

Except then I wouldn't have been able to throw my Epics (which I think came out around 2002...predating Orcs, Destroyers, etc.)! ;)

Imo some beefy runs of PD2 were the only thing I have tried that somehow captured the utility OS and glide of a Spirit in a 11 speed or faster.

The grip is a touch shallower than my preference, but the spirit is something special. Recent Super glow are similar to my old runs, and I am excited to see how they turn out in Cobalt...

I bought an unused first run Venom in the used bin at PIAS a few years ago. Does Pro D plastic feel like a rubber eraser?

Latest posts