• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

recommendations for winter discing

AdmiralQuack

Par Member
I'll start off by saying, I searched for related threads and got no results.
I live in Wisconsin, and would like to continue throwing over the winter season. It's getting very cold and will surely be snowing soon. Are there any special equipment or techniques I should be prepared with to achieve this goal? I realise warm clothes are essential, but should I use a certain plastic to avoid damaging discs, and how about locating discs in snow? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated!

As far as discs I use the same discs that are normally in my bag. I just might use a slightly less stable disc than I normally would on the same shot (i.e. off the tee I normally throw and fresh eagle on this hole. So in cold weather I will throw a beat eagle). As far as finding discs I have never done anything different. I like to wait until the snow has a hard crust on it. The discs tend to not disappear under the snow then. Some people will tape a piece of ribbon about 16" to 24" long to there discs. I hate this it always distracts me in the middle of my throw. discs don't skip or roll in the snow so as long as you see where it first hits the ground it's not going to be more than a foot or two away if it dose get under the snow. And the most important thing is don't throw clear or white discs.

I have played many winter rounds here in Wisconsin and the most important thing I can say is watch your shot! Like steveo said, if you see where it hits, it's always within a few feet. Also I watch for the entry point if it does break through the snow crust and you can normally find it that way.

Not really sure I would think they would act more over stable due to the extra drag slowing the disc down slightly.

Maybe I should do some testing in the field and find out. I suppose there would be a chance of the ribbon getting tangled in trees or snagged on thorny vegetation.

I've seen super flexible rubber putters in stores, are they meant for winter season usage? Any recommendations on putters? The softer the better, I assume.

I threw all last winter and didn't change a thing. I used the same bag with many white discs. I didn't lose a single disc, you just gotta keep your eye on it as usual. As the temps go down and you are forced to dress warmer my distance went down slightly, but all the extra rounds paid off in the sprung.

Does taping ribbon to top of a disc affect the flight characteristics?

Probably, but the cold dense air, doing a run-up in snowboots and wearing bulky layers will affect your throw way more, so you probably wont even notice the ribbons :)

For the sake of the sanity of the players in your group, use ribbons. Otherwise it can be a needle in a haystack type situation which is no fun for anyone.

Otherwise, warm waterproof gloves and footwear are a must, as are warm thin layers. Yaktrax or something similar are a huge help if conditions are slippery, but they suck on concrete teepads.

I also find stretching and a more proper warm up help a lot in the cold.

I realise warm clothes are essential, but should I use a certain plastic to avoid damaging discs, and how about locating discs in snow? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated!
Old plastic - especially Discraft's Tourney Pro - will crack in the cold. I took out my TP cyclones, barstamp Gazelle, and SE Rhyno now that the mercury here in MN has dipped. Now it's r-Pro Rhyno and DX for everything else.

Probably, but the cold dense air, doing a run-up in snowboots and wearing bulky layers will affect your throw way more, so you probably wont even notice the ribbons :)

For the sake of the sanity of the players in your group, use ribbons. Otherwise it can be a needle in a haystack type situation which is no fun for anyone.

Otherwise, warm waterproof gloves and footwear are a must, as are warm thin layers. Yaktrax or something similar are a huge help if conditions are slippery, but they suck on concrete teepads.

I also find stretching and a more proper warm up help a lot in the cold.

I've already seen the distances drop a little on cold days wearing a heavy jacket, but I'm sure you're right on about it dropping more once snows on the ground and I'm wearing boots.
The ribbon technique sounds like a good time saver, especially with alot of blind landing zones on the courses I frequently play.
Thanks for the good tips so far guys! My goal is to continue to get out and enjoy this sport as well as developing my skills. Since I just started this year, I'm afraid of losing abilities I've already worked hard to develop, by hiding in the house just because it's cold outside.

dont play where snowmobiles have been, their tracks disguise the "cut" a disc makes in the snow

Try to walk in a uniform line, turning 90 degrees once you get to the distance of your drive.

Latest posts