• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reducing number of discs and "bag theory"

i carry a bunch of discs, however the vast majority of them are just so i never have to worry about picking up discs from home or somewhere else when i want to go field throw.

in my bag i've got . . .

8 wizards
1 breaker
3 comets
1 ghost
1 rival
1 banshee
3 pd
1 p frenzy/nuke elite x (not sure which to use yet, or even if they will be staying; searching for other high-speeds as well).

2-3 wizards get thrown, breaker almost never.
2 comets get thrown, usually only 1, ghost rarely thrown, will be going soon in favor of a light and heavy tensor.
1-2 PD usually gets thrown.
frenzy/nuke.

165g champ banshee for upshots/slight windfighting/OH/FH/Rollers. not what i'd call "utility", though - i use those shots regularly.

it's just so nice to have all my discs available at once. that way i can putt to warm up, throw upshots, etc.

as far as mold theory and distance goes, i like to blur my lines a bit. comets go far or short, wizards go far or power down, PDs do too. i feel like overlapping distance helps me do better, so i can afford this sort of confusion. :)

as far as mold minimizing goes, i haven't been shooting much better either. but i have been more consistent, and i have been sticking to my guns. it will pay off.

I dont get what everyone on the south side of the cities obsession is to have a zillion putters in the bag, especially of the same mold. If you really think all 8 of those wizards are that different from one another to need to carry that many you are nuts. I used to myself carry about 5 putters but after a while its like why? I designate 1 as just a putting, 1 for understable and 1 for straight. I can see maybe a stable pig like a vp as well but a vp will do something your wizards won't.

I recently cleaned out my bag. I haven't noticed any difference in score. If anything, I might be shooting better because I'm using the discs I have more often, and I'm never tempted to pull out the oddball disc that I only throw once a month. The main thing that allowed me to do this was developing a forehand shot. That allowed me to take a bunch of unreliable understable discs out of my bag and just forehand if I need to go right.

I'm down to 11 discs.

star boss - for flicks, and for hard fades, or moderate headwinds. Also used for hard skips left.
D1 - for moderate headwinds when I don't want a big skip left, or flicks.
Recycled Saint - My best driver from a standing position. Probably my main fairway driver.
D3 - Workhorse long straight driver
GL Villain - this has a lot of overlap with the saint for me. It is mostly a control driver for me, just feels great in my hand.
GL striker - Probably should be removed from bag, but I really like it for low straight shots with no fade.
Trak - Go to long mid/fairway for any line.
Nuke OS - for 30 mph + headwinds
Prodigy M1, M3. - Covers all my mid range needs
GL Pure - Long range putting
Summit - Anything under 45 feet.

I just recently minimized my bag to 6 discs. This post by Blake T did the convincing. I've been playing for a year throwing mostly flat allowing the disc to do most of the work, but as JAKE master said, throwing a neutral disc will teach you to control angles and will speed up your development as a player. Of course, eventually going back to under/over stable discs you will be a better player.

I dont get what everyone on the south side of the cities obsession is to have a zillion putters in the bag, especially of the same mold. If you really think all 8 of those wizards are that different from one another to need to carry that many you are nuts. I used to myself carry about 5 putters but after a while its like why? I designate 1 as just a putting, 1 for understable and 1 for straight. I can see maybe a stable pig like a vp as well but a vp will do something your wizards won't.

the answer is in the first and middle parts of my post, my friend.

i carry them for field practice and putting. i throw 3, tops, during a round. one for putting, one for driving, one that is broken in for approaches/understable.

I have played with guys that have their bag crammed with every disc imaginable. They carry 30-35 discs and likely 25 different molds. Besides the obvious extra weight and general bulkiness I see that they really never "learn" the mold. I realized early on that it is crazy to go out and buy every new disc and that there is overlap between many of the molds. I prefer narrow rim drivers and the only wider rim driver I carry is a Pro Destroyer. When in a tournament I will carry 16-20 discs but still only 8-9 molds. Heard wind mentioned and I do take that into consideration but feel my bag is already factored for that. One of the most difficult courses we play is one that I usually carry the least amount of discs, 2 putters, 2 mids, 2 drivers. I shoot my best scores with this setup.