• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Relativity 24.5mm Distance Driver

news_170609_specialrelativity311.jpg

The Relativity gets special treatment upon its release with the Special Relativity Edition in Neutron plastic. This ZAM-created followup to 2014's General Relativity Edition Motion features dual-foil black and silver artwork. Placed against a backdrop of compressed space-time, the portrait represents the hero of all fun-loving science nerds: Cool Einstein. A thoughtful Einstein portrait is necessary when it's time to do deep science, but when it's time to cut loose, nothing declares that universal law like a Cool Einstein. This Special Relativity Edition proves that all observers in all reference frames should take some time to chill. The Special Relativity Edition will be produced on 1,000 discs.

Leave it to Zam to make a frolfing Einstein. That's so awesome. :thmbup:

As I recall from an earlier thread, you have big hands (XXL). I will undoubtedly pick one up from the bin, grip it with my baby hands (M), then wisely put it back.

Ha ha, this describes what I did exactly over the weekend. These rims feel yuge.

I'll keep this review short and sweet. The 174g version is fast, long, and unbelievably straight. I was getting it to around 300-310 on a full powered throw. What amazed me is that I have never thrown a disc so far, so straight, but at the end it has this huge spreading skip that gets a good amount of lateral movement. The only other disc I regularly throw on frozen ropes is the Relay. At 300, it has minimal to zero fade, quite opposite of the Relativity.

Like the Teleport, it's completely throwable for an average arm. I just hope they can find a way to make them lighter. There haven't been any changes to the bag in a long time, but with its distance, and laser beam flight, the Relativity just might make the cut.

I'll keep this review short and sweet. The 174g version is fast, long, and unbelievably straight. I was getting it to around 300-310 on a full powered throw. What amazed me is that I have never thrown a disc so far, so straight, but at the end it has this huge spreading skip that gets a good amount of lateral movement. The only other disc I regularly throw on frozen ropes is the Relay. At 300, it has minimal to zero fade, quite opposite of the Relativity.

Like the Teleport, it's completely throwable for an average arm. I just hope they can find a way to make them lighter. There haven't been any changes to the bag in a long time, but with its distance, and laser beam flight, the Relativity just might make the cut.

What's the lightest one you've gotten to throw? I've seen some in the upper 160's.

I'd like to try some of these max distance discs in fission. I can only imagine the distance they'd get in a stiff tailwind.

The more I throw my Teleports and the Relativity the more I'm thinking the gyro effect becomes more pronounced with the wider rims. Me and Nathan were both remarking how they seem to go further than we expect given the power we're putting behind them.

The Tenacity is another good example. It's unreal how far it goes for me when I give it 50-70% power. Can't recall getting that sort of D at that power level from anything else.

View attachment 62234

The Relativity gets special treatment upon its release with the Special Relativity Edition in Neutron plastic. This ZAM-created followup to 2014's General Relativity Edition Motion features dual-foil black and silver artwork. Placed against a backdrop of compressed space-time, the portrait represents the hero of all fun-loving science nerds: Cool Einstein. A thoughtful Einstein portrait is necessary when it's time to do deep science, but when it's time to cut loose, nothing declares that universal law like a Cool Einstein. This Special Relativity Edition proves that all observers in all reference frames should take some time to chill. The Special Relativity Edition will be produced on 1,000 discs.

I haven't thrown any MVP/Axiom, but their stamps are starting to make me want to collect them. I ordered up a blue and green LE macro tesla this morning to go with the Nikola one I bought.

What's the lightest one you've gotten to throw? I've seen some in the upper 160's.

The website says they're only available above 170, so it you've seen 160's I assume those are rare. I sound like a broken record, but yea I can't agree with you enough about this rim class in Fission.

The website says they're only available above 170, so it you've seen 160's I assume those are rare. I sound like a broken record, but yea I can't agree with you enough about this rim class in Fission.

Considering the treatment Photons and Teslas got, I'd be surprised if we don't see Fission Teleports within 6 months. Seems they like to run the stable to slightly overstable molds in Fission.

The Relativity has plenty of stability, for any arm up to at least where mine's at. I couldn't get any turn out of it, and even on an anny, it fought right back.

Much more stable than I expected, in a good way. Slight hyzer release produces a consistent 450' s-curve. Probably going to be my main bomber in windless/tailwind conditions.

Relativity

OK, one more new disc I got to throw today. Here goes.....

The Relativity has a super wide, sharp rim. In the hand the disc almost feels awkward and unnatural. Rim is average depth, not super shallow. Proton plastic, unsure of the weight.

The Relativity is zippy fast. Its fairly flippy and does need to be thrown hyzer to keep it on a good distance line. All the best throws I had with it I started left of the target and let them drift right for the entire flight. The Relativity flies with a lot of side to side movement, big S curves. Very majestic looking.

The Relativity has good, but not great, glide. Frankly, I don't think any of MVP's products are remarkable gliders. This disc gains most of its distance by being fast, understable, and penetrating well. I had a couple long (450') rips with the Relativity today. However, I didn't find this disc super easy to throw consistently. It can be a bit finicky, and if you miss the release angle even a bit your shot will probably turn and burn.

The Relativity seems to lose a little steam late in flight and look for the ground. The Knight I was throwing alongside the Relativity held the late glide longer, and ended up 20' further consistently because of it. The fade on the Relativity was just a hair dumpy.

Overall: Despite me calling this disc finicky, I really liked the Relativity. It has massive distance potential. For me it flies like a faster, longer Catalyst. Lots of speed and high speed turn. Definitely the longest disc I've thrown in the MVP/Axiom lineup. I'd never throw this disc on any hole where accuracy mattered, but for open holes the Relativity will definitely work on big flex lines. In a field test of 8 distance drivers today the Relativity finished 2nd behind the Knight. The Knight was simply longer on every throw, sometimes by 20' or more. I think the Relativity loses a little distance by having a somewhat abrupt late fade.

Relativity: 14, 4, -3, 2

I hate to give this thing a 4 for glide, but I just don't think the Relativity has great glide. It penetrates well, but isn't floaty. Noticeable high speed turn. This disc will definitely turn and burn if you don't get the release angle right. Lack of great glide and a somewhat dumpy fade probably cost this disc 30' of extra distance. Despite that its still PLENTY long.

Relativity

OK, time for a quick update on the Relativity. I've been playing around with a couple of these lately, and I think I've finally figured out how to throw them properly.

Before, I kept trying to throw the Relativity flat or on a high anyhzer line. I was having marginal success. Lots of flips punctuated by an occasional huge bomb. The disc was too finicky and flippy for me to see the full potential of.

Recently I starting putting these on hyzerflip lines. Low, hard releases. The results are stunning. This seriously might be the longest mold I've ever thrown. When you get the hyzer angle perfect the Relativity will cruise for days. Today I was matching my longest throws ever.... repeatedly. In the field against other similar drivers the Relativity was beating them all handily.

The Relativity still isn't the easiest disc to throw. Its finicky and you need to hit the angle right to really flex it out. If you get too assertive the disc will turn and burn. Hyzerflipping is ABSOLUTELY the way to make this disc bomb. It flies like a faster, longer Tern or a flippy Katana.

Most of what I wrote in the post above about the Relativity still rings true, but I feel like I've unlocked another echelon of distance potential by mashing on this thing hyzer. I was surprising myself seeing how far the Relativity was flying.

Maybe a pop-top one will have more glide and be less susceptible to turn and burn when thrown flat?

Relativity

Maybe a pop-top one will have more glide and be less susceptible to turn and burn when thrown flat?

Both of mine are pretty domey. They will definitely turn and burn if thrown flat and hard. I had to put some hyzer on them to keep them from flipping.

Massive distance. They'll outfly pretty much anything I've ever thrown, but they do it in a somewhat wild manner. I've probably touched 470' with the Relativity.

Interesting. What plastic was used? How does it compare to a VIP Destiny?

Mine are both Proton plastic. IMO the Destiny is a little flippier than the Relativity. The Relativity is longer by quite a bit too.

I don't mind the Destiny, but if I had to pick one of the two for sheer understable bombs I'd take the Relativity every time. The Relativity handles power a little better than the Destiny.

Okay so I bought a 173g proton big dome Relativity from my local store. It had some sharp flashing on its rim still, but luckily whatever mvp uses for its overmold is soft and easy to sand away really fast. I wanted to see how it held up vs my longest discs. For reference I average around 330-360 feet of power on flat ground.

Definitely a huge rim, and I'm finding it a little hard to grip, with its combination of large rim, slick plastic, and big dome. Rim is up there with Boss and Nuke/SS for 25mm big boy rims. This Relativity isn't nearly as flippy as I thought it'd be either, and especially not as glidey as I thought it'd be. This thing flies like a rock for me. It has the ability to get out there decently far on speed alone, but it doesn't like to stay in the air for that long. All my glidiest discs bounce around a little while in flight, and want to fight against dumping into the ground too soon. I'm finding the Relativity doesn't have that proclivity. I can see its speed, but at the same time it never appears to cut through the air as fast as my Goldline Ballista Pro, nor have the glide of the supposed 4 glide Ballista Pro, and definitely not the glide of the Destiny.

It's very angle sensitive too. Even in fairly st rong headwinds, when put on a decent Hyzer, it holds that Hyzer line and dumps left. Put it on a slight anhyzer on a neutral wind, it it turns and burns into the ground. The few times I was able to get a very pretty looking S-flight out of it, it never outdistanced my VIP Destiny or even my lightweight Goldline Ballista Pro. I would say that in most situations, it has around the same stability as my Ballista Pro, except it has the ability to just crash and burn on a turnover, while the Ballista Pro doesn't. I have a super domey pop-top Plasma Catalyst that flies just like my domey GStar Shryke, and I can get consistent right finishing S-flights out of both of them, but the Relativity is such a drastic departure.

I'm gonna say I don't have the arm power for it just yet, but I also want to see what I could do with maybe a Neutron Relativity that isn't quite as domey. I historically have not had good results with very domey discs as I just can't grip them as well, and I've also found that MVP's Neutron plastic to be some of the nicest and grippiest premo plastic on the market.

Last edited:
^^I'd say you nailed it that you don't have the arm speed for a 14 speed disc, I know I don't. Probably need a minimum of 400+ feet of power to get the intended flight out of this one.