• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Replacement for a Hawk

smokfraglerock

Par Member
The Discraft Hawk was the first mid I could throw reliably. But as it is only in production in Pro-D just a couple of tree hits and it flies freakishly understable for me. I am looking for a straight flying replacement that is available in something other than base plastic. I am open to any brand suggestions. I have a Buzz in z plastic but I am looking for something with a less fade at the end. A Shark flies very similiar but I don't know about in other plastics.

For me a Hawk would fly perfectly straight(no noticable turn) for about 95% of the time in the air with a very slight forward fade. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have never thrown a Hawk. I do only throw Discraft mids, after trying many others. I would recommend getting a Meteor. It's a great straight flying disc depending on your release angle and an awesome turnover disc. Mine are all in esp plastic, flat topped, and 177+.

You could try an Elite X Buzzz or an ESP Buzzz. Both of those fade less than a Z. If you want to try a new mold, the Buzzz SS is a good disc for straight throws.

Thanks for the suggestions. :thmbup:

I do want to use in production molds. I was wondering if I get a Pro-D Buzz and just beat the hell out of it. Will it stay straight with less fade or will it develope a significant turn?:\

Are you wanting fade? Beat the snot out of a pro d drone. And for straight shots, I'd suggest a comet

For me a Hawk flies perfectly straight with a very small amount of forward fade at the end of the flight. I have a Drone in my bag that works great for flex shots, get out of trouble shots, hyzers whatever. that disc isn't coming out. I am just looking for straight with as little turn as possible with as little fade as possible. My super beat Hawk will turn all the way to the ground and my new Hawk lasted two rounds before it hit a tree and tacoed. Now I have two discs that turn all the way to the ground. Opened up a new slot in the bag but left the straight one open. I can hyzer flip a Wolf to fly like the hawk but once again its only available in base plastic.

For me a Hawk flies perfectly straight with a very small amount of forward fade at the end of the flight. I have a Drone in my bag that works great for flex shots, get out of trouble shots, hyzers whatever. that disc isn't coming out. I am just looking for straight with as little turn as possible with as little fade as possible. My super beat Hawk will turn all the way to the ground and my new Hawk lasted two rounds before it hit a tree and tacoed. Now I have two discs that turn all the way to the ground. Opened up a new slot in the bag but left the straight one open. I can hyzer flip a Wolf to fly like the hawk but once again its only available in base plastic.

Sounds like a Comet would be a good option for you. If you beat in a Pro D Buzz, it will get flippy.

Comet or buzzz ss, but the comet is better IMO. Just gotta get used to the wide diameter.

I have never thrown a Hawk. I do only throw Discraft mids, after trying many others. I would recommend getting a Meteor. It's a great straight flying disc depending on your release angle and an awesome turnover disc. Mine are all in esp plastic, flat topped, and 177+.

Hawk is Discraft.

Pick up a flat Star Coyote and don't look back. I've only thrown a couple of hawks but in my opinion they are very close to my beloved Coyotes.

I just got a 174g DD fuzion Fugitive that sounds like what you're looking for. It can turn on you a little, but with a little hyzer that disc goes STRAIGHT, with just a little bit of leftish-ly forward fade.

Other than that I might suggest an opto Core or Fuse by lat64, or a Squall by DGA.

I would try a flying squirrel from ABC or a Lat. Core both are incredibly straight flyers. The squirrel will fly completely straight until it hits the ground and the core has an inccredibly late fade that you probably won't see unless you thro it high.

i think the comet is what you want.

hawks are still fairly cheap you can get them in the marketplace.

so my answer is a hawk is like a hawk.

The Squirrel will fly straight if flipped. It turns from start to finish for me, and I don't even throw that far. I think the Comet is the best choice here if you don't want another Hawk.

The Squirrel will fly straight if flipped. It turns from start to finish for me, and I don't even throw that far.

Yes...I can echo those sentiments on the squirrel. Can be hard to find the right angle...
Along with the mako, the fuse has a lot of straight, smooth glide...

Latest posts