• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Replacing innova. What discs?

if you want to "replace" Innova molds you should perhaps consider NOT replacing them with Millennium or Discmania

a rose by any other name is still a rose (or however that saying goes)

and Mill/DM discs are just rebranded Innova molds

so really you are going to be looking at Discraft and L64/Westside

Surge/Surge SS... New heavy Avenger SS's.. Stalkers/XLs

Rivers work. Leopards work. Teebirds work. Strikers work. etc. etc. It all comes down to what works for YOU. ;)
Comets work for me. Banshees do not. Teebirds work for me. Rocs do not. Rivers work for me. Beasts do not. Buzzz's work for me.
I have had guys swear to me that "insert disc name you love here" will work great for you. When what they really should have said was; "blank" works great for ME, maybe you would like it as well. You just have to throw different molds. Throw as many styles weights as you can. Set aside a couple of days here and there to just "throw" discs, see what works for you and what doesn't. Whatever you do, keep throwing......jbz:thmbup:

(and yes the river has replaced my leo, so it can be done)

First off, why hasnt anyone pointed out the tremendous overlap that were all debating about replacing?

Secondly, (and we can take this to another thread if needed), I realize the reason why people constantly compare the leo and river, but, an opto or gl river is a very different disc from the leopard, its more LSS more HSS and more glide, to me theyre more comparable to something between EXs and ELs with more glide than either.

Anyway,
Valk, beast, replacements- MOLS, Avenger SS(yes i read the OP), beat P PD
Teebird,TL replacements- heavy river, striker, ascent, S-TD, QJLS, S-PD, Q or S OLS
Leo/TL replacements- C-FD or S-FD, MJLS, MPLS, TM River, trak, squall

Im sure there are more

I do realize there is an overlap with a lot of the discs in my bag. I'm not really looking to replace each disc with something new. I'd rather buy two or three discs to replace all of these. Thanks for all of the suggestions. So, in your opinions, who makes the most consistent molds of all manufacturers?

There are issues with every company since plastic molding is very complicated and there are lots of variables you have to try and control, in general, of the major companies id say discraft is best, gateway is worst, imo.

I think part of the reason Gateway is the worst (and I do agree with you) is that they try to please almost every players wants. Take the Wizard, my go to putter, I love it. They have Evo, Glow, Firm, Medium, Soft, SS, SSS, SSSS, SSSSS, RF and RFF. That's eleven different variations (and I probably missed some) of the same disc.

I think part of the reason Gateway is the worst (and I do agree with you) is that they try to please almost every players wants. Take the Wizard, my go to putter, I love it. They have Evo, Glow, Firm, Medium, Soft, SS, SSS, SSSS, SSSSS, RF and RFF. That's eleven different variations (and I probably missed some) of the same disc.

And none of them are marked correctly or made in whatever firmness they are on purpose lol

So, in your opinions, who makes the most consistent molds of all manufacturers?

as people have stated all companies will have issues

instead of trying (and possibly failing) to find the most consistent company why not, assuming you can buy your discs from a store (and if not make specific requests of the online store that you buy from) look for consistencies in the discs you like

if you like the way Disc X by Company A flies but the next one you bought didn't fly that way

compare the dome and the parting line height of the discs
but discs that are most like the one you like in terms of dome and PLH

discs will mold and cool differently during different runs
this will cause PLH variation and thus the discs will fly differently

you can avoid and correct for this by buying discs (from whatever manufacturer) that have essentially the same PLH

Thanks manU. I think this is great advise. Just out of curiosity, what is parting line height? I've seen this referred to before but wasn't sure of the meaning.

to steal from Jeronimo from another thread: look at the parting line where the upper and lower molds meet to segregate the stable from understable ones.

i.e. at the nose of the disc
the higher the PLH the more stable (generally) the disc will be
the lower the less stable

as an extreme example and using innova look at where the PLH stands when comparing a Mamba to a FB

then if you had 4 of the same disc but they were all run at different times and ended up having different PLH's you will say "hey these discs are inconsistent" because they will fly somewhat differently

Latest posts