• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Ok, I am back in love with this mold. Like many others I jumped on the Berg hype train and that booted the scale from my bag for awhile but I switched them back out for the last few rounds and I fell right back in love.

I'm using an old Jeff Goldblum fossil scale and was threading gaps today with a light flex and the scale was just settling right where I wanted it.

So my question is if I want the most stable hit and stick scale out there now am I looking at tarpit? Don't need stego stability but something I can shape those tight approaches and not risk much ground play.

The new tar pits are plenty stable, and borderline puddle top which feels amazing for FH. They aren't quite as beef as a flat stiff fossil or armor, but still plenty of beef.

Scale-Serpent covers so much more than the berg. I am a happy boy.

Coincidentally I just sorted my Scales by PLH the other day. Indeed the fossils and armor have a fairly noticeably higher plh than the tarpit, which is barely higher than the chalkpits.

Surprisingly, my silly putty has the highest PLH. If you truly want stable and sticky, the silly putty is an absolute cheat code for such a shot. Still undecided on which I'm going to bag. The tarpit and chalkpits are plenty sticky and stable in their own right, and are easier to throw.

Pic is increasing PLH left to right.

Chalkpits, Tarpit, Fossils/Armor, Silly Putty

Edit: apologies for the crappy image. Have there been size limits put in place for pictures recently? I keep having to downsize my pictures for them to post. This just started recently. I don't understand.

Attachments

• 20230509_091707.jpg
    20230509_091707.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5
I haven't thrown my silly putty enough. Love it though. I found it shorter and assumed it was just harder to rip on, maybe it is extra OS too.
I do find some overlap between my tarpit scale, armor serpent and tarpit serpent. I use the scale for more wind and for fade but the armor handles wind and I can make it fade. Maybe my Silly Putty would be a better compliment.

I haven't thrown my silly putty enough. Love it though. I found it shorter and assumed it was just harder to rip on, maybe it is extra OS too.
I do find some overlap between my tarpit scale, armor serpent and tarpit serpent. I use the scale for more wind and for fade but the armor handles wind and I can make it fade. Maybe my Silly Putty would be a better compliment.

Pretty sure the Silly Putty will always be in my bag at certain courses I play because it's the perfect death putt/approach disc. I don't need it for throwing anything longer than 100 feet. Would much rather use any other plastic for those. But in its field of expertise, the Silly Putty is a visionary. Its a stroke saver. There's soft plastics... and then there's Silly Putty. I suppose Elevation discs are similar in flexibility. But not chonk. Scales have way more chonk.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the Silly Putty will always be in my bag at certain courses I play because it's the perfect death putt/approach disc. I don't need it for throwing anything longer than 100 feet. Would much rather use any other plastic for those. But in its field of expertise, the Silly Putty is a visionary. Its a stroke saver. There's soft plastics... and then there's Silly Putty. I suppose Elevation discs are somewhat close in flexibility. But not chonk. Scales have way more chonk.

Thats how I expected to use mine when I put it back on the shelf. It will come out for mountain courses where roll aways can be crazy and rocks are around to kick your disc.

Its wild how flexible they are. Borders the rubber discs but still feels like plastic. The super rubbery floppy judges are one of the only things that comes close.

Thats how I expected to use mine when I put it back on the shelf. It will come out for mountain courses where roll aways can be crazy and rocks are around to kick your disc.

Its wild how flexible they are. Borders the rubber discs but still feels like plastic. The super rubbery floppy judges are one of the only things that comes close.

Exactamundo. I live and play in the Reno/Tahoe region. So much elevation change, so many rocks, so much wind. The Silly Putty Scale is truly in its element on mountain and desert courses.

I hope so, most of us only picked up one. It sounded like it may have been a test or something, digging back in the thread may give some insight.

I just remembered a plastic that feels like the Silly Putty. Elastic Performance by Daredevil. It feels exact. Did Daredevil do the molding on the Silly Putty Scales? I know there was a collaboration between RDG and Daredevil at one point.

Attachments

• 20230509_174339.jpg
    20230509_174339.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230510_123913.jpg
    20230510_123913.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
yup my understanding is that the Daredevil partnership did not go much beyond rebranded daredevil discs in different blends.

Believe Jamie said Silly Putty Scales were some of the earliest scales to come out of gateways new machines and they were experimenting some.

Don't want to start making people jealous, but I actually have 2 silly putty scales now. :D Threw mine in the bag yesterday to compliment my tarpit serpent. I will have a hard time deciding between it and my new run tarpit scale cause I really like em both and already bag a lot of stable approach discs.

Latest posts