• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Hello my DGCR brethren!
As promised, my little disc golf label has produced our first mold! It was an incredibly fun process to be able to sit down with the CAD artist, discuss, dissect and brainstorm to create our very own mold. The Scale is the first mold to be developed by RDG and it is a disc that I have been wanting since I first began playing disc golf.

With the Scale our goal was to create a go to P&A that shines off the tee. To do this, we decided to revamp the Wizard (my favorite putter being an STL boy) and make it into something a little different. Through several hours of time working with models, the resulting mold features a more substantial nose than the Wizard. Another unique aspect of the Scale mold is a thumb contour along the leading edge. This contour isn't a like a traditional thumb-trac being that there is no elevated edge. Instead, we dropped the plate just slightly and let the molding process take care of the rest. The end result is a flight plate that has a distinct, yet gradual drop leading up to the wing. This contour provides a worn in feel, right out of the box.

By creating this new top, RDG will have the ability to produce four unique putter molds by pairing with the Gateway bottoms. The proto run of Scales wil feature Gateway tooling, but the production runs will feature RDG tooling. I will be leaking some testers and protos to folks very soon and I look forward to seeing some opinions on how you all like it! Thank you for the continued support. Also a mega shout out to David at Gateway for bringing this unique opportunity to life.

SUMMARY: Overstable P&A disc with the heart of a Wizard and the fade of a Rhyno. Soon to be submitted for PDGA approval. Will be produced in a variety of plastics, just as the Wizard.

I hope to see the SCALE in people's signatures within a matter of months ;)

Attachments

• RDG Scael.jpg
    RDG Scael.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
I'll definitely check one out, been throwing Wizards for 5 years now and the one thing I always wanted is a more OS version. I am excited!

Sunken topped more OS Wizard = yes please. Soon please.

I couldn't be more excited to get these into people's hands. I was really hoping to get that chunky flight without being a beefcake. Initially it appears that the design is creating the exact flight that we wanted. I'm going to attempt to get some video shot soon to show this baby in flight.

No lucky trying to get the "scaly" effect on the surface of the disc?

We figured out how to do it. I just want to make sure that the mold jives with everyone before we do it. Adding the texture to the nose is irreversible. No retooling once we do that.

Wow, looks really nice.. and sounds great too.

Not to count chickens, but way to kill it on your first mold dude.

Wow, looks really nice.. and sounds great too.

Not to count chickens, but way to kill it on your first mold dude.

Thanks!
Relatively safe bet when half of the disc is WIZARD!

All I had to do was design a top that I know folks have been begging for and BOOM, we've got a disc that I think will click with players.

That's awesome! Can I ask how you go about making your own golf disc? I honestly have no idea how it works.

Does the different top really make that much of a difference? I've had some sunken-flight plate Wizards in the past and didn't notice too much difference.

How does the high speed flight compare to the Wizard or Chief? The Wizard is my primary driving putter. I love how HSS it is, but sometimes I want something that will work side to side more. You can't really throw flex shots with the Wizard since it just locks in on an angle and goes. The Chief almost did it, but it's not HSS enough in the end.

I would definitely be curious to try the Scale - if anything just to see how they beat in. The Wizard that I had in my bag with the most sunken flight plate was from a test run Dave made around 2011 and it did seem more overstable than usual at first, but that didn't last long and it beat into a very straight flier, then eventually developed some high speed turn long before any of my other Wizards. So it did start out a bit more stable, but also got flippy faster than the rest.

Last edited:
Preliminary Flight Review:
EXACTLY what we wanted. The Scale is a beefier wizard in all respects. It's not a meat hook but it does pull out of any anny that's not an intentional roller. I'd say the HSS is about as rock solid as I've seen a baseline PnA. The design if the disc is quite gyroscopic with a ton of weigh distributed to the wing. With that in mind, you can really tell the fade is delayed but abrupt. Instead of a forward fade like an MVP disc, when it finally slows, it drops. I think you're going to like this disc if you want a more OS wizard out of the box.

The thumb contour is also really nice. Forehand grips are comfy and tight. I can't wait to start doing some big runs of these.

Thanks!
Relatively safe bet when half of the disc is WIZARD!

All I had to do was design a top that I know folks have been begging for and BOOM, we've got a disc that I think will click with players.

Sweet. Been throwing wizards for years, so you can bet ill give your Scale a shot. Love the sunken top idea.

The top isn't sunken though. We have a thumb contour near the wing but the top is pancake flat. I don't want folks expecting a yeti. These are flat!

Forehand grips are comfy and tight.

homer_drool_2__44365.gif

Congrats on the mold! Curious...will adding the scale affect the flight at all, or just the grip?

If we so decide to texturize the nose, it'll only affect the chain gripping ability. We don't plan to add texture in the grip area like a few other manufacturers.