• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Got my Scale today. Posted a little video of me opening it and giving some initial thoughts on it over at the Hucking Aces Facebook page. Here's what I think after only putting with it (no driving or upshots)

Got it in today! I was able to throw a bunch of putts with it on my backyard basket. Still getting used to it. I putt with Big Bead Aviars normally, so the Scale was a bit of an adjustment and I am still trying to dial it in. The SS plastic grips and catches well. I do have quite a bit of bruising on the rim, but that is nothing unusual with Gateway plastic, as I am a hard spin putter.

Flashing on the rim was very minimal, which I am glad for. I've had more than a few Gateway discs which required a lot of work to get rid of the flash.

The thumb contour is interesting for sure. It seems very much a hybrid between Innova s Thumbtrack and DGAs indent for the Breaker. The feel of the Scale is very unique but if I had to put which its closest to, I'd say the DGA Breaker.

Very flat topped. Grip is good. Almost no glide; nearly equivalent to a Champion Rhyno. Makes it great for spin putting, and I'm eager to see what it does on longer distance drives and upshots.

I'm looking forward to the Fossil plastic. Unique blends are always awesome, and I think the Scale can really benefit from something more durable than SS plastic. I can see this being a great driving putter for most skill levels, and a good tweener disc for higher level players who will be able to overcome the lack of glide with their power and form.

Needless to say, I'm very happy to be a tester for RDG, and I can't wait for that Fossil plastic!

This sounds super awesome. I've been throwing wizard all my short fgolfing life and always wanted something like this. I have found a couple of really overstable wizards but being a Finnish guy doesn't really make it easy finding them. :)

One question though... English isn't my native language and don't know if you already answered this question but anyway... Is the fade on this thing more like hard sweep to the left(Zone) or does it just tilt and drop down left after it slows down? ...If that even makes any sense. :D

It is hard for my to explain what I see in words that make sense to other people.

To me, because of the lack of glide, the fade seems more dumpy. To narrate, in the air (thrown flat) the Scale doesn't say "I'm slowing down now, I guess I'll just fade out a little and take it easy" it says "Welp I'm done now, come pick me up" and promptly hyzers out.

It is hard for my to explain what I see in words that make sense to other people.

To me, because of the lack of glide, the fade seems more dumpy. To narrate, in the air (thrown flat) the Scale doesn't say "I'm slowing down now, I guess I'll just fade out a little and take it easy" it says "Welp I'm done now, come pick me up" and promptly hyzers out.

Dead on. The fade is very unique for a putter. The thumb contour and beefier top makes the disc actually fade kindle like a fairway driver. Instead of being a sweeping hyzer like a zone, the Scale will push straight and then once it loses steam, will fade hard left. I don't know if I've thrown a putter that has this type of fade. Wizards and Aviars fade smooth and slightly. Not the Scale. I was able to throw some nice 200+ ft. Tunnel lines with a hard hook at the basket left on the very end.

first round with it, threw it in like 40 degrees in mn. i have a black 173g.

flicks- first one of the day was wobbly but it handled torque very well. my other ones were cleaner/ no wobbles. held hyzer nicely. had a few sharp dog leg right flicks, and it was right on target. when i flicked it straight, it would hold straight then fade out at the end but not drastic. probably flicked it out to 230 at most today. didnt try to get max d flick so im not sure if i would put 100% mustard on it. i liked the way it flew up to 230, and i couldnt imagine it becoming weird at 250+

rhbh- threw this disc the most rhbh today. first throw was a hyzer bomb over the road which held very nicely. a little shorter than my gstarrr aviar d ("gad" for comparison in this post). noticeably less glide than the gad. but put on hyzer- extremely predictable where it will land. dependable for sure. i was throwing it at first as a second shot to mess around with but actually used it a few times for actual score during my round. and i never really do that on the first round with a new disc. thrown straight it will fade but mine didnt appear to really dump like others were saying, at about 250 ish feet. well it was indeed os and no turn so i figured it was time to flex it. it fought out 250+, did this multiple times too. i was impressed.

i was actually wishing the wind would be roaring so i could try it in a headwind. im excited to try it again on a windy day. also once the snow melts i would like to see if i can utility skip it around short corners. i liked it for short utility and driving purposes. i maybe threw 5 putts with it. i am partial to my dx aviar so i didnt bother much with putting. i did use it once or twice for sharp hyzer putts around trees which it worked great for. the only discs i remember trying this year- saint pro and buzz os were out of my bag before i even put my keys in the ignition to drive away. this one is still sitting in the bag.

i know i wasnt comparing the scale to a disc on its level of stability. i have thrown a breaker, rhyno, zone and pig before. it would have been interesting to compare one of those (probably a zone because it was my favorite out of the 4) to the scale. so i cant really compare it to those in terms of stability to those. but i would roughly say in innova rating 2 2 0 3

REVIEW FROM A TESTER:

"Scale (3 2 0 2):
Fossil Plastic
Beaded putter that is exceptionally straight with a very predictable fade. Not as stable as a Zone, faster than a Rhyno, more comfortable than a Banger-GT.
Goes where you put it, with very little glide and a good enough speed to make tight shots turn from intimidating to average. When I first picked it up I thought the shoulder and depth were very comfortable. However, I think it is roughly ¼-1/3" too deep for a true power grip throw. This could just be the size of my hands (though at worst I think they're "average" sized). I was able to fan grip very comfortably and could still get a pretty consistent 250-280 feet out of it, with a long of ~310 or so on a shot with a 12ft elevation drop. For putting, I thought the disc seemed "heavy." Not from a grams standpoint but from a flight standpoint. The Scale has very little glide, and I wouldn't call this a finesse putter's first choice.
On the flip side, I felt very accurate with the top contour. There was no guessing game on where my thumb went, and it felt like a natural/comfortable placement. Thus, I felt like I was able to "power putt" more than I usually do, and was smashing chains consistently. This is a straddle putter's ideal disc. I will update the review as I go along—I tend to have high confidence with a new putter that dips a little as I use it, so hoping that the Scale will hold true.

Seems like a great approach disc. You –can- skip it if you set the shot up with a slight hyzer, but it never popped up and rolled around or skid too far off the mark after hitting the ground. From 0-175 feet out this could be my go to disc—easily. That goes double for if the basket is left of where I'm standing (so the disc can do the work—fade in). Where you put it is where it goes for approach or putt. Tried a couple of anny flex/touch shots and again came away impressed. Held the line well but could just flex out of it if thrown softly or had enough air time to do so. In fact, a slightly anny shot was one of my favorites with this disc. Felt like I could weave trees with no issue

I forehanded the disc a few times just to get a feel for it, and was surprised how comfortable it was (given the depth of the lid), and how well it handled the spin. Basically maintained its flight pattern. I will say that forehand is not my forte, so take that with a grain of salt."

Had 3 whites waiting for me when I got home. Probably the best feeling plastic I have ever held and the mold feels great in the hand. I can't wait to toss them this weekend.

The only complaint is these things smell horrible, like burnt hair horrible. I washed them with dish soap and still no luck. My wife came home and complained they were stinking up the whole house. Put them outside for the night hopefully that takes care of it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Had 3 whites waiting for me when I got home. Probably the best feeling plastic I have ever held and the mold feels great in the hand. I can't wait to toss them this weekend.

The only complaint is these things smell horrible, like burnt hair horrible. I washed them with dish soap and still no luck. My wife came home and complained they were stinking up the whole house. Put them outside for the night hopefully that takes care of it. Anyone else experiencing this?

Lol the santoprene rubber component smells awful.
Hopefully it'll calm down after air time.

Haha. Seems like airing them out is working.

What colors did you run these in? I am in love with the way this feels and if it flys as described I might be looking for a color other than white for snow rounds.

Haha. Seems like airing them out is working.

What colors did you run these in? I am in love with the way this feels and if it flys as described I might be looking for a color other than white for snow rounds.

The Fossil is going to mostly be molded in white as far as I know. The polymer mix has some pretty powerful white colorant that is difficult to overcome. I'm all about keeping a consistent product so it's tough to say as of now. But who knows honestly.

I'm glad you're digging the plastic though. I've been thoroughly impressed with how it is beating in so far.

I can also vouch for that smell. It hit me hard when I opened the package, and I believe that was actually my first comment back to RDG. I have to keep it in the garage.

Is the thumb track wizard the same mold as the scale, sans the scales?

Not the same. Very different feeling discs. We don't even have Scales on our mold. I wish we would have staggered the new releases to avoid confusing people.

The Scale is built with the Wizard as it's core. It has a more conventional rim depth and height. Our thumb contour is also not like a traditional thumb trac. Instead ours is more of a slight depression. Slightly like a much more shallow banger-gt groove.

The new thumb track proto is not built off the wizard. It is the same size and relative shape as the chief. The thumb trac on this mold is very much like a rhyno thumb trac.

The Scale is more like a Breaker, in feel, than any other disc. Doesn't fly the same though. Whereas the Breaker is really a slow mid, the Scale is most definetly a putter. It also lacks a Wizards glide.

Yesterday I was able to get decent distance out of the Scale by throwing it on a high anhyzer and letting it pan out into a flex shot. It's natural over stability makes it an easy disc to really mash on, but because of the low glide and because it is more traditionally putter like in flight, it does require height. It is difficult to get distance out of when thrown low a la the Chief, Breaker, Envy, etc. It's not a naturally skippy disc, but can be used for skip shots when it is thrown low. Just don't expect Zonesque distance power skips.

It's great for placement drives and forehand putter shots. Superb for headwind putting, but takes some getting used to because it drops quickly. Ideal for spin putting, which is my chosen style. Also an excellent turbo putting disc. I'm no slouch at the turbo, so I can make it dance if need be.

Overall, the Scale is a great and unique disc. A lot of start ups lately have either tried to reinvent the wheel and done poorly or just released something that waswas already out there in a different form. The Scale is entirely unique. Honestly, I think it would fit into a Wizard lovers bag much better than a Chief.

Overall, the Scale is a great and unique disc. A lot of start ups lately have either tried to reinvent the wheel and done poorly or just released something that waswas already out there in a different form. The Scale is entirely unique. Honestly, I think it would fit into a Wizard lovers bag much better than a Chief.

This is what we had hoped to hear :D

The Scale was designed to mesh with the wizard and provide a unique flight that cannot be achieved through just a wizard cycle. Eventually players will season in a Scale and bag a few scales and a few wizards to achieve their putter duties. That is until we release a new putter at some point in the next few years ;) lol.

Thanks for the feedback Andy! Love hearing that these are getting thrown.

Thanks for the feedback. IMO it's RDG's customer service that sets you guys apart from other similar start-ups. Now that you are rolling out proprietary molds, the sky is the limit.

Latest posts