• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

returning to a course you haven't played in a while...

BlazedOrangeHat

Par Member
it feels great returning to a course you haven't played in a while. it feels great having a better variety of shots under your belt allowing you to flow through the course on new lines. it feels great having increased confidence and skill. it feels great putting up a new best score on a course you haven't played in a while.

Sometimes. Other times you're reminded of why you haven't played there in a while.

except when you return to that course and it's raining(hard), but it's your only chance to play it again, so you play anyway and get soaked, cold, and none of your shots are going the way you want them to.

I love going back to courses that I played early on in my playing career. I was throwing maybe 225-250' with no line shaping skills when I first started playing, so going back to courses I remember as tough or long is a fun reminder of how much I've progressed. One of the courses I played a lot early on was a short technical course, I could never hit those lines throwing driver hyzers and now every shot is a birdie look with a putter.

I agree! Just did this recently in central IL. I worked there several years ago and hit the local course a bunch of times. Ended up driving through a couple weeks ago and stopped by to play it. Amazing how much easier it was!

Sometimes. Other times you're reminded of why you haven't played there in a while.

This. A Park by my house comes to mind - it's only 3 blocks away and one of the worst courses I've ever played. Every few months I will "give it another go" and then after I can only play 3 of 9 holes due to people in the fairway and/or using the baskets as bbq's, I realize why I hate it.

I can totally relate to the OP. Nothing beats coming back and whopping up on an old nemesis. I returned to Spokane last spring for the first time in nearly 10 years. I then diligently spent the next few days chucking some of the courses I first learned on. As an added bonus, another course had been built since I last lived there. Sometimes those moments are a little bittersweet though. The very first course I ever stepped foot on, Downriver, changed their layout and one of my favorite holes (5) was not longer in the mix

I cant wait until I get a chance to go back to Phoenix.

After finding this site, I've improved by leaps and bounds.

Its going to be a real treat playing Vista and Ft. Hills again.

I love looking back at what I use to throw on certain holes. Usually it ends up with me saying to myself," What the hell was I doing throwing that!" Time and skill usually gives you better judgement when it comes to disc selection. Other times though, you go back to throwing what you use to and realize that those older discs are pretty legit and wonder why you are not throwing them now.

My favorite course---ever, anywhere---was a private course in Florida that closed about 2007, with the owner selling the property.

In 2013, by miracles that prove there are Disc Golf Gods, Mike Barnett & Co. got permission to re-open it on a temporary basis for a tournament. Words can't express the thrill of turning off the vaguely familiar paved road and driving into a treasured memory.

Unlike the O.P. and others here, my game had deteriorated over time, but no matter. It was great to revisit an old friend.

Latest posts