• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Review: Hyzerbomb Flak3

threej21

Birdie Member
So after much debate on whether to get a Grip bag or a Flak, I decided on the Flak because it has more disc capacity and more storage capacity. For me, it was also more comfortable on my back than a Grip. And actually didn't get to try on the Flak before purchase, but after trying on a Grip and fiddling around with it, I knew I would prefer the storage of the Flak, and was pleasantly surprised that it was much more comfortable. It seems to be a bit wider at the base which hugs my back better, and also provides better support when setting your bag down. Doesn't always fall over like the Grips.

I also cant say enough about Hyzerbombs customer service. I requested a "special order" in sense as I didn't want the "Millenium" logo across the front of the bag. I wanted the Hyzerbomb logo instead. They first said it should only be a couple week wait, about a week in they said they weren't sure how long it would be and could be up to 4 more weeks, but that they have the regular Millenium bag ready to ship. I had already decided to wait, and chose to stick to my original decision and wait for what I wanted. They offered to send me a loaner bag (brand new) that I could use until mine was ready at which time we could do a switch out. That was very kind of them but I declined as I had a perfectly good bag at the time, and didn't need to use up one of their bags which would lower its value when they went to resell. It did end up being about another 4 weeks, but let me reiterate that the wait was my choice, I could've had a bag shipped out the day after I placed my order. Even though the wait was my choice, they still HOOKED it up and included with my bag 3 dri-fit Hyzerbomb shirts and 2 Hyzerbomb discs!!! I was stoked to say the least!!

Once I received the bag, I was instantly impressed with the build quality and the features of the bag. The storage up top is HUGE, and they have zippered in the bottom with a hard plate to address the 'sag' issue from the earlier run Flaks. And it WORKS. In just the top compartment alone, I can and have fit the following AT ONCE with no issue of retrieving discs or causing any other cramming issues in other areas of the bag:

-XL Hoody
-XL Long Sleeve Thermal Shirt
-Beanie
-Thick Neck Gaiter
-Pair of Gloves
-Full Bag of Bigs Sunflower Seeds
-Pair of Sunglasses
-2 Pens, 1 Sharpie
-Extra Mini Marker
-Pdga Rule Book
-Cliff Bar

Might even be forgetting something, but man can you fit some stuff up there! It also has two small side zipper pockets in which I stuff a large 24"x12" towel in one side, and usually put my car keys and smokes in the other side. Next to the zipper pockets, is a small 'slip' pocket on each side for a scorecard or pens or whatever. Also on the sides is a pocket for discs in which I fit two discs on each side. Add the main compartment and the top putter pocket, and I am comfortably carrying 26 discs, with plenty of wiggle room to easily grab and replace your discs. I could squeeze a couple more in the main (21 now with 7 of those being Mids), but it would make it a tight fit and you would have to put more effort in retrieving your discs. It does also have the slip pocket on the front panel, but like the Grip, if you use it, it makes disc entry/exit a bit difficult. So I use that pocket for scratch paper, or my thin gloves sometimes which doesn't effect the main compartment. And there is another putter pocket on the inside of the top flap. But in order to use that, you would have to have your top compartment half unzipped which is not my preference as I want all my stuff up there to be protected from the elements.

There are two ways to carry your stool or umbrella, or use both ways to carry both! You could use one cup holder to hold your stool/umbrella vertically, and use the D ring on the bag to run your stools strap through and hold it tight. There is also two clips on the bottom front of bag which can also be used to hold your stool/umbrella horizontally.

The bag, like the Grip, also comes with a rain cover, which stores nicely under the hard plate in top compartment.

The straps are durable and comfy, with the entire back of bag a mesh material to allow it to breath between your back. Havent played in high heat yet with it, so cant speak to if that works as planned or not.

And now on to some pics to illustrate some of the things I spoke to above.

This is just the bag, fully loaded and ready to go, with front pocket closed. And top compartment is JAMMED FULL but you cant tell.

Same thing but with front opened showing main compartment.

Unzipped top storage compartment

Emptying out top compartment

Unzipped side pocket to show towel in there

Side view where D ring is, for whatever purpose you like

Underneath hard plate in top compartment, where I put the rain cover

Pic of back

Nice review.

I had considered the Flak 3 during my bag search this fall. I opted for the Simian (the inbuilt stool was a huge deciding factor) and couldn't be happier, but I've always thought the Flak 3 gets a bit overlooked in the bag market. It's got a nice design to it. And kudos to the gang there for good communication and hooking you up.

Thank you. I too agree that it gets overlooked in the bag market. While most people haven't seen one or even heard of one, everyone I encounter on the course asks about it and is generally impressed once they get there hands on it. It carries REALLY well, and quite light considering I carry 26 discs plus all the other stuff I shove in there.

Facebook is a wonderful thing when it comes to businesses staying in contact with their customers. Didn't have to email them and wait for replies. We were in constant and quick communication through FB messages during the entire time they were getting my bag built. Again, cant say enough about their customer service.

And just for fun...my discs, from left to right in main compartment:

12x Kc pro aviar, Mcpro roc3, glow roc3, (3) proto roc3s, gator, 11x whippet, 2 firebirds, boss, tern, (4) *D destroyers, flippy wraith, (2) monarchs, leopard

side pockets: (2) mcpro aviars , p&a aviar, wedge

top: mcpro aviar

So I've gotten to play a few rounds with mine.i love it.i heard some things about the strap breaking,how's yours holding up?

Man, I would love a bag like this that maxed out at about 12 in the main, plus a spot for a putter on each side. Slightly more light and narrow.

I second that onemilemore. I'd like to have 15 tops, but having a 'smaller' backpack would be so sweet. They are so much more user friendly than single strap bags, even with the quads. The thought of always lugging a giant backpack around is not my idea of fun. Someone make a smaller alternative for under or at $100 and I bet they would be a good seller. Hoping the Upper Park second run will be a winner.

So I've gotten to play a few rounds with mine.i love it.i heard some things about the strap breaking,how's yours holding up?

no issues with my strap yet. Out or curiosity, have your heard bad things about the straps or the handle on top?

I second that onemilemore. I'd like to have 15 tops, but having a 'smaller' backpack would be so sweet. They are so much more user friendly than single strap bags, even with the quads. The thought of always lugging a giant backpack around is not my idea of fun. Someone make a smaller alternative for under or at $100 and I bet they would be a good seller. Hoping the Upper Park second run will be a winner.

Its not a GIANT backpack, and the main is fairly close to maxed out at 21. Shove a spare towel in the main, and it would hold 15 pretty nicely I would assume. Plus you still have all the awesome storage space up top. Finding a bag that is exactly everything you want, that holds an exact amount of discs you want it to, is not very probable. But this bag is light with 26 in it(21 in main), and again is not some giant, bulky bag. So with 15 in main, id imagine you would barely realize you are carrying a bag!

Nice review! I've owned a Flak 1, 2, and 3. HB really hit the nail on the head with the Flak 3.

Flak3 - Issues

I have to add my .02$ to this forum.

I Pre-ordered the Orange Flak3 from Hyzerbomb/Millennium in July 2013. I received the bag, as expected in August 2013 (right before a big tourney). Initially, I was a happy camper.

By April 2014, I was shopping for a new bag. First, I'm a short dude, and was kinda disappointed with how large and clunky the bag looked on my back. I also realized that the HUGE top compartment only looked good and functioned well when it was packed full of stuff. If not, it would start to collapse/sag and give the bag a cheap appearance. With all your heavy items in the top compartment, the bag is very top heavy and falls over easily. Second, the strap seam ripped on me after about 2-3 months of light use (remember it was winter so I wasn't playing as much). Additionally, the top department of the Orange color bag was held up by Velcro only, no zipper (yet). The Velcro started to weaken and wouldn't hold, emptying all contents onto my discs. Also, After attaching my stool a few times the D-Ring seam also started to tear from the bag. Lastly, one of the side zipper pocket seams busted, making the pocket useless. So, I submitted a warranty request.

Hyzerbomb/Millennium was great with customer service. I submitted pictures, details and timeframe of all the damages and they sent me a brand new Red/Grey bag (the Orange wasn't available), no questions asked. They also allowed me to keep my old ripped-up bag. The Red/Grey bag seemed like it was constructed the same. Only difference I could tell was that there was a zipper instead of Velcro separating the top and bottom compartments (a big improvement).

Weighing my options, I decided to sell both bags and buy a new Grip bag. My decision was based on good timing and quality. The new A14 Grip came out recently and I know several players that rave about the quality of the Grip bags. I also enjoy how compact the design of the Grip is. No issue with Hyzerbomb/Millennium, I love the company and wish them well. Just not a great feeling to spend $200 on a bag that lasts less than a year.

I'm in

I just don't think I need more than 15 discs.

I have to add my .02$ to this forum.

I Pre-ordered the Orange Flak3 from Hyzerbomb/Millennium in July 2013. I received the bag, as expected in August 2013 (right before a big tourney). Initially, I was a happy camper.

By April 2014, I was shopping for a new bag. First, I'm a short dude, and was kinda disappointed with how large and clunky the bag looked on my back. I also realized that the HUGE top compartment only looked good and functioned well when it was packed full of stuff. If not, it would start to collapse/sag and give the bag a cheap appearance. With all your heavy items in the top compartment, the bag is very top heavy and falls over easily. Second, the strap seam ripped on me after about 2-3 months of light use (remember it was winter so I wasn't playing as much). Additionally, the top department of the Orange color bag was held up by Velcro only, no zipper (yet). The Velcro started to weaken and wouldn't hold, emptying all contents onto my discs. Also, After attaching my stool a few times the D-Ring seam also started to tear from the bag. Lastly, one of the side zipper pocket seams busted, making the pocket useless. So, I submitted a warranty request.

Hyzerbomb/Millennium was great with customer service. I submitted pictures, details and timeframe of all the damages and they sent me a brand new Red/Grey bag (the Orange wasn't available), no questions asked. They also allowed me to keep my old ripped-up bag. The Red/Grey bag seemed like it was constructed the same. Only difference I could tell was that there was a zipper instead of Velcro separating the top and bottom compartments (a big improvement).

Weighing my options, I decided to sell both bags and buy a new Grip bag. My decision was based on good timing and quality. The new A14 Grip came out recently and I know several players that rave about the quality of the Grip bags. I also enjoy how compact the design of the Grip is. No issue with Hyzerbomb/Millennium, I love the company and wish them well. Just not a great feeling to spend $200 on a bag that lasts less than a year.

I am in no way discounting the issues you had with your bag, but just wanted to respond to some of your issues as I have not had any of what you mention.

Firstly, my bag had the zippered top, so no issue with the sagging at all. Never had my contents spill into main compartment.

I got my bag back in February and have probably played 75+ rounds of golf with it, including 5 tournaments and a 72 hole ironman. I often carry my stool utilizing the d-ring and a cup holder, as well as use the vertical clips on bottom of bag to carry my umbrella. I have been in down pour rain with the bag on more than one occasion. At tournaments, my top compartment is usually stuffed pretty full, while in casual rounds there is not much up there. I would not say I am rough on equipment, but I def don't go out of my way to be careful.

All that being said, my bag has no torn seams of any kind nor any other construction issues. I am sure as with all products, some people have had issues, and its good to hear that HB took care of you promptly and more than reasonably when you did have issues.

Throw discs, DROP BOMBS!!

I just got one of these last week and I'm loving it so far. I'm carrying 19 discs. 8 of which are putters cause I like to carry multiples to practice and warm up with. So it will hold a lot of discs. Plus theres plenty of room for bug spray and sunscreen and towels. My old bag struggled to hold all that. I'm carrying more stuff and more discs and it feels lighter than my old one which is great come that third round in a day. Since I've only played about 6 rounds I can't speak for durability.

Shooting a video review of my Flak today. Think I covered everything but if you'd like me to go over a specific part let me know! I want to do a throrough review!

Shooting a video review of my Flak today. Think I covered everything but if you'd like me to go over a specific part let me know! I want to do a throrough review!
How does it feel with a shirt vs shirtless?

Latest posts