• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH release point advice

Ive always been a forehand guy (played baseball for about 15 years) so it came much easier for me. I had a ton of problems with my backhand. A disc that was too fast to learn with, poor footwork, trying to overthrow (i play with a couple of buddies who can absolutely bomb it), and a bad release point. I got a new disc, watched some stuff on footwork and have laid off trying to throw the disc as if it has wronged me in some way. The missing piece of the puzzle as it stands right now is the period from when my arm is straight back to my release. I try to over exaggerate my release to keep it flat and get more distance and its making progress. Shazaam and Seanmeacham have been giving me good advice but right now im in the market for anything I can get before bloom this weekend so throw up whatever you guys can. its greatly appreciated.

I might suggest working more on grip work if your moving from FH to BH. If you have proper technique and a good grip and hold on tight your release will just come with practice

Loved the second video shazaam!

It is definitely a good one to watch. I had no idea not to bring your wrist back that much and when I did it the way he showed along with that grip I definitely gained a ton more power, and really with that power came the control to throw a more overstable driver (my recently lost ESP Avenger) on a straight line which I coulnd't really do before

That second video is really cool but does seem like it goes against a lot of previous "lessons" I've seen. Obviously it works though.

I think you have to take that video with a grain a salt because he's specifically tailoring his advice to certain aspects that each individual is doing wrong. For instance, the last guy kept turning over his discs and releasing at an anhyzer angle so he told him to swing through starting lower, which keeps the disc on a hyzer angle. Another thing is that I think they're all using understable discs so it's not like you're going to be releasing it like that if you're throwing something like a Surge or Destroyer.

You don't release a disc when throwing backhand. You let it rip out of your fingers. The ripping out is what imparts spin on the disc. The loud snap you hear when an advanced player throws is their thumb snapping after the disc rips out.

If you open your hands and try to release at a certain time then you will be adding another variable to the throw and at the same time will not be imparting spin to the disc and you damn sure won't be making a snapping noise.

I think you have to take that video with a grain a salt because he's specifically tailoring his advice to certain aspects that each individual is doing wrong. For instance, the last guy kept turning over his discs and releasing at an anhyzer angle so he told him to swing through starting lower, which keeps the disc on a hyzer angle. Another thing is that I think they're all using understable discs so it's not like you're going to be releasing it like that if you're throwing something like a Surge or Destroyer.

Very true but that video is for a somewhat wide array of players looking to increase distance and I know the kid who started the thread and he's throwing an Avenger SS so this vid was perfect for him

You don't release a disc when throwing backhand. You let it rip out of your fingers. The ripping out is what imparts spin on the disc. The loud snap you hear when an advanced player throws is their thumb snapping after the disc rips out.

If you open your hands and try to release at a certain time then you will be adding another variable to the throw and at the same time will not be imparting spin to the disc and you damn sure won't be making a snapping noise.

Well yeah, I guess I shouldn't use the word release, but that word just flows more naturally in a sentence and I use it without realizing people may take it literally.

I was not referring to your post but answerring the original question that is the topic of this thread.

Latest posts