• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH High speed turn problem

flingingdiscs

Hello i was hoping i could get some advise on a High speed turn problem i have recently been having. When i throw a relaxed throw forehand with a Sidewinder or Valk i can usually get 275 to 300 feet without really putting all i have into it. But on longer holes i try to crush my destroyer or groove and it just dives to the left at about 150 to 200 feet. What can i do to increase my speed and distance but not dive to the left every time? Or maybe their is a higher speed driver out their that does not have a tendency to do that as much? Any advice would really help out.

What I've noticed is that using a disc with more HSS, like my starfire, allows me to get greater distance. I think this is because throwing forehand gives the disc a tendancy to go left more than it does when throwing backhand.

Hope that helps.

What I've noticed is that using a disc with more HSS, like my starfire, allows me to get greater distance. I think this is because throwing forehand gives the disc a tendancy to go left more than it does when throwing backhand.

Hope that helps.

Thanks that helps

You need a disc with more stability, especially for forehand throws. My first driver was a Valkyrie, and after a few months I started turning it over into the ground, too. I agree--I think the Innova Starfire would be an excellent choice.

Make sure you aren't turning your wrist over when you throw. (Keep your palm facing up!) If you are rolling your wrist no overstable pig is going to help. You will turn over anything. And it isn't a "power" thing. You shouldn't be able to overtorque a groove or destroyer forehand only throwing that kind of distance. Go back to the valkyrie and learn to throw it flat and straight.

As in a backhand throw most of your distance with a forehand should come from quick hips - not just your arm.

Make sure you aren't turning your wrist over when you throw. (Keep your palm facing up!) If you are rolling your wrist no overstable pig is going to help. You will turn over anything. And it isn't a "power" thing. You shouldn't be able to overtorque a groove or destroyer forehand only throwing that kind of distance. Go back to the valkyrie and learn to throw it flat and straight.

As in a backhand throw most of your distance with a forehand should come from quick hips - not just your arm.

I agree with this. It's the form not the disc. A destroyer or groove should not be turning over with good form. You are likely turning your hand over when you try to crush the drive. That and using too much arm and not enough snap.

I just went out and threw some discs in a field and I don't think i am turning my hand over. Still about a third of my drives still do flip over.

I've got bad forehand form because I throw a lot of my forehand drives like I throw my outside-in (anhyzer) hucks when I play ultimate; I turn my wrist over at the end almost all the time.

However, I find that I can still get some pretty decent distance (300-330ft) when I throw my Star Monster; I throw really low and flat and it holds a really, really straight line for me with some fade at the end of its flight.

This is really only a temporary fix because the form is what needs to be fixed, but I keep causing some serious elbow pain when I go out and work on my forehand drive for an hour or so, so until I stop overturning my wrist, I will keep throwing the Monster with pretty satisfying results.

I've noticed that when I really try to crush a FH shot, I tend to fall/lean left, which of course will cause my throw to go left too.

Also, when I first started to throw hard FH, all my shots went left. I learned it was because I didn't put enough snap on it for the stregnth I was throwing. Once I learned to snap better, it all fell into place.

I used to have a similar problem of when I would flick my wrist too fast, my disc would get great distance, but immediately start turning left, leaving my forehand very unpredictable and hard to work with in tight alleys. It took me awhile, but I realized that I needed to follow through more with my wrist. What I mean by this is that you need to find a happy medium between the rotation you put on the disc with you fingers and how much you follow through with the back of your wrist. Too little follow through with the back of your wrist produces the immediate left high speed turn. The opposite of this would be too little snap of the wrist and too much wrist follow through will cause your disc to go right too quickly with flying too far. I know this may be hard to understand without seeing me actually demonstrate it, but if you can decipher what I'm saying, then I feel you'll be good. Now that I know this, I've learned to use both ways to combat different scenarios, i.e. using the initial problem to your advantage. If you continue to have problems, let me know and I will try to make a video to send you.

I used to have a similar problem of when I would flick my wrist too fast, my disc would get great distance, but immediately start turning left, leaving my forehand very unpredictable and hard to work with in tight alleys. It took me awhile, but I realized that I needed to follow through more with my wrist. What I mean by this is that you need to find a happy medium between the rotation you put on the disc with you fingers and how much you follow through with the back of your wrist. Too little follow through with the back of your wrist produces the immediate left high speed turn. The opposite of this would be too little snap of the wrist and too much wrist follow through will cause your disc to go right too quickly with flying too far. I know this may be hard to understand without seeing me actually demonstrate it, but if you can decipher what I'm saying, then I feel you'll be good. Now that I know this, I've learned to use both ways to combat different scenarios, i.e. using the initial problem to your advantage. If you continue to have problems, let me know and I will try to make a video to send you.

I know what you mean thanks for the advise.