• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculously overpriced disc of the day...

"You'll learn to appreciate our patented non-slip bath mat grip spot technology for rainy day putting on our brand putter, the Tub."

Anyone know why those Thought Space discs go for so much money on eBay?

I got a Mantra Etheral plastic or whatever and I seen one go for almost $100.. but why? I didn't think Thought Space was out of business or even that specific mold was OOP.

They are raised textured areas that were fairly unique to the Sinus. Part of the reason I never used them. Don't tell me where to grip disc!

Simpsons Discraft did it first with SureGrip...not sure if anyone else did before that. (Yes you said fairly, figured others might enjoy this tidbit of information)

Honorable mention to the grooves on the Ching Oracle and Juju!

That might have been neat/useful if the raised material went all the way around the disc.

Legacy did that with their "Snake Skin" versions of putters. Basically a Banger GT but instead of a groove in the top of the disc it was a grippy raised texture. Never held one but they sold out quick.

Last edited:
Simpsons Discraft did it first with SureGrip...not sure if anyone else did before that. (Yes you said fairly, figured others might enjoy this tidbit of information)

Honorable mention to the grooves on the Ching Oracle and Juju!

Legacy did that with their "Snake Skin" versions of putters. Basically a Banger GT but instead of a groove in the top of the disc it was a grippy raised texture. Never held one but they sold out quick.

Speaking of snake skin, have you seen on the PDGA approved discs page that Yikun has a disc with scales molded into the top? Very interesting looking.

No sir I have not. I'll check it out though:thmbup:

Hell I've never even held a Yikun disc before I'll have to check some out in my next order

Simpsons Discraft did it first with SureGrip...not sure if anyone else did before that. (Yes you said fairly, figured others might enjoy this tidbit of information).

I've never seen such a disc from my neighborhood manufacturer. Didn't even know they'd ever done that.

Tidbit enjoyed.

Did they do that on anything besides the Surge?

I *believe* the SurgeSS also had it at some point? Can't remember...but no, I'm almost certain no other mold seperate from the Surge family had this. Failed miserably I remember them never selling and people not caring for their flight or bothering using the thump grip thingy. Didn't last too long Discraft scrapped the idea rather quick.

It was a patch of texturing about the size of a mini Bic lighter, though oval in shape and a bit fatter. Been so long since I've thought about them I can't even remember if it was just one, pretty sure there were two patches at 12 and 6.

Those grippy areas were great for wet conditions. I was just wishing with Lat64s signing of Linus that we'd see a signature Sinus, but this is the cheapest one available anywhere I can find online.

If you're actually looking for some, I have 2, maybe 3 in my stash. Not Linus's Sinus's though ;)

Self quote for a correction. It was called Ultra-Grip and was only CFR/whatever Discraft called tournament or fundraiser discs back then. Only had one grip pad, not two as I debated in a post above. 2006 only - I was correct it was short lived. SurgeSS NOT included.

EJXcZVw.jpg

^ Interesting.

I used to use the yellow Vibram logo on my Lace and UnLace as "the" spot to grip with my thumb.

I swear it made it easier to concentrate on generating more spin, because I mentally focused on making the disc rotate on the axis running vertically through the logo.

Before that, I never thought I could actively control how much spin I was generating. Not claiming any spot on the disc necessarily creates more spin, like some sort of magic button.

Just that being conscious of the motion of the disc the last few moments prior to release, helped me get more snap.

... and the Vibram logo definitely helps provide a little more grip.

Last edited:
Ha I used the Z symbol on the comet for a similar reason/idiosyncracy.. Haha you can see the divot in my first comet but the Z is worn off.

Self quote for a correction. It was called Ultra-Grip and was only CFR/whatever Discraft called tournament or fundraiser discs back then. Only had one grip pad, not two as I debated in a post above. 2006 only - I was correct it was short lived. SurgeSS NOT included.

EJXcZVw.jpg

Really cool, Grip. Thanks for posting that pic. I am fairly well versed in Discraft. I have never heard, nor seen this.

I *believe* the SurgeSS also had it at some point? Can't remember...but no, I'm almost certain no other mold seperate from the Surge family had this. Failed miserably I remember them never selling and people not caring for their flight or bothering using the thump grip thingy. Didn't last too long Discraft scrapped the idea rather quick.

It was a patch of texturing about the size of a mini Bic lighter, though oval in shape and a bit fatter. Been so long since I've thought about them I can't even remember if it was just one, pretty sure there were two patches at 12 and 6.

Don't know how long this lasted, but some of my old predators had a textured area inside the rim.

I spin discs on my left middle finger before every throw, just a habit. I'd never be able to line up my grip like you Bogey/Envy lol (relevant username?). If I'm throwing Discraft and land on their tooling I spin it again until I'm on a flat spot.

Don't know how long this lasted, but some of my old predators had a textured area inside the rim.

Like a hatched area? I have seen this on some discs.

I spin discs on my left middle finger before every throw, just a habit. I'd never be able to line up my grip like you Bogey/Envy lol (relevant username?). If I'm throwing Discraft and land on their tooling I spin it again until I'm on a flat spot.

I don't think the Discraft or disc name embossed on the rim is what flip is referring to. I also have a nearly identical pre throw routine, lol. Left hand, middle finger spin and don't want the embossing in my grip.

That was an entirely different issue. It's a really long story, but there was a rash of Copyright lawsuits due to a lower court ruling; the ruling eventually was overturned but until it was shyster lawyers wandered around Wal Mart's and sued any company they found that had products with expired patent numbers on them. Innova and Discraft both got sued so they both started scrubbing the patent number off of their discs. From what I was told, the textured area inside the Predator rim was the "fix all these" answer to discs that Discraft had already run with the patent number but hadn't sold yet; they did that to cover all the patent numbers that were in the warehouse at the time. It looks like a grip area, but that's not why they did it.