• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RipItGrip grip mats

KillerKoala777

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I haven't heard of this until watching a GK Pro skin match today.

It's a rubber mat to place on your lie to improve traction and footing. It is legal by PDGA rules but I don't know how I feel about it. While the idea is interesting, I don't think I want it to become a normal thing. Part of the game is managing your stance in bad situations.

What other opinions are out there on this new equipment?

Link for the curious https://www.ripitgrip.com/buy-ripitgrip

I'm all for it, but it should only be allowed on tee pads. Not all tee pads are "safe" and some tournaments acknowledge that and allow you to throw from next to the tee pad....but then the dirt next to the tee pad gets torn up and "bowls" appear where player's feet pivot...which then starts to become unsafe.

I don't see a problem with it.
Everyone can use it, anywhere on the course.
Entirely a player's choice type of thing.

Brilliant call making the exactly 20cm x 30 cm.

I'm all for it, but it should only be allowed on tee pads. Not all tee pads are "safe" and some tournaments acknowledge that and allow you to throw from next to the tee pad....but then the dirt next to the tee pad gets torn up and "bowls" appear where player's feet pivot...which then starts to become unsafe.

100% someone will use one of those pads on a slick tee and still slip. I know this because I regularly slip using grip pads opening the pickle jar.

But, seriously, there are applications where someone will take a confident stomp on one of those pads and still go Kevin Jonesing off the tee. No way they work in mud, sand (more than a dusting), or slimy algae.

I'd be most likely to use one of those pads for under a knee on a low clearance shot.

These look like a great product but also look like they might be a pain to carry around. I'm interested but I wonder how you're going to attach that to your bag or cart? Probably won't want to use it on muddy ground because if you hang it off your bag or cart its going to make everything it hangs up against muddy...I think? And if you're using a bag, seems like this is going to add a noticeable bit of weight which over a few holes is no big deal but after a couple of rounds in one day that may add up a bunch...maybe it's lighter than it looks?

Edit: ok I see the carabiner clip thingy now to see how it attaches

Last edited:
Edit: ok I see the carabiner clip thingy now to see how it attaches

That doesn't solve the question of mud or even water or grass clippings, which would probably be when you use it the most. Maybe one day I will find someone using one and can ask them these questions.

You won't see me with one of these. Man have we gone soft...

Completely agree with this sentiment and can't imagine buying one myself, but...

I don't have an issue with a company trying to earn a buck addressing what they perceive to be a problem, or any player who thinks this will help them.

100% someone will use one of those pads on a slick tee and still slip. I know this because I regularly slip using grip pads opening the pickle jar.

But, seriously, there are applications where someone will take a confident stomp on one of those pads and still go Kevin Jonesing off the tee. No way they work in mud, sand (more than a dusting), or slimy algae.

I'd be most likely to use one of those pads for under a knee on a low clearance shot.

I would be hesitant just because of this. Potential for a false sense of security, ending up with a broken hip. I will just use caution or a standstill.

Im def in the crowd that would be interested in something like this. But I can't say that this even looks safe to use. The rubber bottom seems like it would be sliding all over the place. I was thinking that the carabiner hole could be used to stake down the mat if you werent on the tee but I doubt that is allowed. Then to me they just look like they are a sandpaper type material on the top. Doesn't seem all that safe to me. A lot of you already touched on that it seems like it could give someone a false sense of security and end up hurting themselves more and I completely agree. The idea is there but the execution seems like it might be a fail.

I'll lay down a towel on teepads to get better grip in bad conditions. This looks like a more durable (but likely more cumbersome) product for the same purpose. Don't know that I would be using it on other lies other than as a kneepad.

TBH, I've never worn out a towel in a single round. I could probably get a couple dozen hand towels for the price of this piece of equipment, and the likelihood of me losing it is probably going to keep me using my raggedy fabric.

I'll lay down a towel on teepads to get better grip in bad conditions. This looks like a more durable (but likely more cumbersome) product for the same purpose. Don't know that I would be using it on other lies other than as a kneepad.

TBH, I've never worn out a towel in a single round. I could probably get a couple dozen hand towels for the price of this piece of equipment, and the likelihood of me losing it is probably going to keep me using my raggedy fabric.

and towels have multiple uses - dry/clean hands, dry/clean discs, wipe tears away after a bad throw......

This product brings up a serious issue in disc golf, a lot of tees are dangerous. It sucks when throwing off of the turf/ mud next to the tee is better than the tee surface.

Although, this is better than a tie for Father's Day...would make a nice little gift.

Although, this is better than a tie for Father's Day...would make a nice little gift.

I included one in a disc golf secret santa this year. It seemed sturdy enough, and not likely to skid. As others noted, there's a grommet in one corner to hang it on a D ring from your bag or your cart. It did not seem like it would absorb water, so I don't think the weight would change dramatically while using during a round.

Truth be told, I bought it for myself - and once I had it, thought that is was just "one more thing" to carry, to remember to pick up, and to slap against my bag or cart.

The recipient of my gift responded with a "hey, cool!" - I just asked him about his experience with it so far:

"I used it for a couple really icy rounds and it helped a lot. Like I was still in the mindset of I'm going to slip and die. But there was no need. It gripped every time. I just need to trust it more."

I included one in a disc golf secret santa this year. It seemed sturdy enough, and not likely to skid. As others noted, there's a grommet in one corner to hang it on a D ring from your bag or your cart. It did not seem like it would absorb water, so I don't think the weight would change dramatically while using during a round.

Truth be told, I bought it for myself - and once I had it, thought that is was just "one more thing" to carry, to remember to pick up, and to slap against my bag or cart.

The recipient of my gift responded with a "hey, cool!" - I just asked him about his experience with it so far:

"I used it for a couple really icy rounds and it helped a lot. Like I was still in the mindset of I'm going to slip and die. But there was no need. It gripped every time. I just need to trust it more."

Now there is a really good use for it....playing in winter weather. I've seen videos of people playing in snow and either slipping or worrying about slipping.