• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River replacement

Jmandell

Well, I lost my prized L64 River yesterday and after an hour of searching I gave it up as lost :'( On the bright side I did find an Innova Star Destroyer right where I expected my river to be :confused:

Before I run out and buy another river, any other discs I should look at? I'm gonna buy another river anyway though :) That's the disc that finally got me shooting consistently under par and I'm in love with it, but I'm always in the mood to buy more discs, so if you've got any recommendations (I'm an almost exclusively RHBH player) I'd love to hear them!

If you really like your River,just stick with that. Buying new discs is great,but if you have something you like stick with it. Staying familiar with your favorite molds and getting better with them leads to better scores.

MVP Amp is a good choice if you really want to try something new.

You might want to check out an S Line - FD (Jackal) - very similar to a River in almost every respect except just a touch more high speed stable.

Just buy another river, I tried the patriot, leopard and fd and none were the same as the rivers glide. Fd is about the same distance but more straight, once the river breaks in it's a great roller and you can release it on some hyzer and still get a nice turnover out of it. You just can not duplicate some of the lines with the glide of a river, leopard just isn't even close to the distance. Early patriots are too stable. Stick with the river, I went away from it, on the courses I play in the woods I noticed it missing right away.

the river was hyped up BIG time here on dgcr after released-- its a very finicky disc IMO...

Lots of better options really and I would second the amp suggestion once seasoned they are great-- something a touch slower I would go with a switch or inertia. Much more consistently molded and wider variety of weight ranges with those 2 discs also. 150-175

Ummm, Aim ... the Inertia is definitely not a slower River, it's quite a bit faster. Did you maybe mean the Inspire?

Jmandell, I loved my River for years, and still love it overall. I replaced mine with a Witness for the shot I used my River for. It's more US than the River, but just a bit faster. For me, the more US means more consistent because I know it's going to be that way. The River was just stable enough to sometimes be more stable then I intended on my throw.

What are you using your River for though? What other discs do you throw? If you're always in the mood to buy discs, and don't have any yet, you should check out MVP. Not knowing what you already throw though, I don't know what to recommend.

Dropped my beloved Rivers for Patriots. The River is a great disc but due to it's glidey nature it's horrible in any wind other than a tail. I carry a Icon Patriot for more glidey, turnover type shots and a pinnacle for more stable straight/hyzer duties.

It really depends on your power and how you used the River. For me the River can do a couple shots very well (tailwind open distance hyzer flip bombs that glide, and turnover shots that you overpower easily to go into a controlled anhyzer). It has some other shots that it can do ok at, depending on your consistency...one is a laser beam hyzer flip, it'll glide so low and in a narrow path, IF you hit all the angles right. This is touchy. However, I find it very difficult to anhyzer as it likes to continue to cut/flip over...so I'd rather just use it for turnovers.

If you have the power to be turning the River way over to the point where it is like I described above, consider the S-line Jackal (FD) like has been suggested. It is much straighter, but still has some turn so you can definitely get it to work lines easily. I just think it will require less release angle adjustment to get it to either go straight or left, and you can trust it a little more to go to the right without turning way over on you. I'd say if you can hit 320-330' with the River, then the Jackal will be less sketchy for you. I think the Jackal needs a bit stronger of a thrower (until it has hit some stuff), but if you can get it to slightly turn then it will be a great disc.

If my River goes missing I'd be looking at changing it out for something more like this, that I can trust a little more. When my River works out it's a beautiful shot, but I don't feel 100% confident on it in lots of cases.

I'm still pretty new to the sport and I've been using the river as my main driver. I'm able to rip it about 290-320 feet on a good day with just a little bit of a hyzer flip. I love the flight profile of it with it going straight for a long time and just the right amount of turn at the end. My other discs are DX Leopard, DX Beast, Star Destroyer, Star Roc, and the Aviar.

I'll look at some of your recommendations!

Ummm, Aim ... the Inertia is definitely not a slower River, it's quite a bit faster. Did you maybe mean the Inspire?

:doh::thmbup: actually the inertia and impulse wouldn't be bad distance drivers to try out either, basically "faster/longer" rivers. but yes you are right--- TOO MANY DAMN NEW "I" NAMES! lol.

Rivers ARE the most weight sensitive mold i know of. A few grams can make a huge difference in flight. But at the edges of the wieght spectrum, nothing flies like both minimum weight river (161g) AND maximum weight river (177g). The light weight rivers are perfect for standstill bombs, steep uphill hyzer flips, and low power tunnel shots. The heavy river is just perfect at holding whatever line you put on it, and it'll handle some power nicely.

It's those middle weights... the 167-172g's .... they never fly proper for me. They're squirrelly on an anhyzer and very nose angle sensitive. Once i figured that out, I've been a happy River thrower.

The closest i've come to finding a suitable replacement for both is a light weight MJLS and a heavy QJLS. But they don't go nearly as far and i personally like gold line plastic better.

Like others, I'd say that if you're still happy with the River, just buy another River. It's a unique enough disc to take that approach.

I bagged Rivers for a year or so, and only started looking for a replacement once I started hitting 350' consistently and they started to fly too understable for me. I could never find those freak stable Rivers that some talk about, and personally think the disc is molding up more consistently than it used to, lessening the chance of such outliers. The Crave was the perfect higher-powered River for me, able to work a variety of lines and with enough HSS to flip to flat super consistently. So if you're interested in trying a more stable version of the River (with a notch less glide, admittedly), I'd recommend the Crave.

I'd stick with the Rivers. The glide is something special on that disc.

If you must try something new(and I know you must*wink*), I recommend the Hatchet from Westside as something pretty similar to the River, slightly faster with maybe half a tick less stability. Also, Saint is more stable and faster but otherwise pretty similar to the River.

Overgeneralization, but I've found MVP discs require a lot more oomph to get the same results as Latitude discs.

I'd stick with the Rivers. The glide is something special on that disc.

If you must try something new(and I know you must*wink*), I recommend the Hatchet from Westside as something pretty similar to the River, slightly faster with maybe half a tick less stability. Also, Saint is more stable and faster but otherwise pretty similar to the River.

Overgeneralization, but I've found MVP discs require a lot more oomph to get the same results as Latitude discs.

I also get better distance from Lat64/Westside discs - they just glide further. That said, they both make some wonderful discs and I carry discs from both. Hatchet is definitely longer and turns more than the River but what an easy disc to throw long. They need to slap a 7 on that one as well for the glide rating.

I replaced my Rivers with XLs. Less sensitive and irritating (for me) and out of all the XLs I've owned, only one has flown differently than expected. I think they're pretty consistent.

I'm still pretty new to the sport and I've been using the river as my main driver. I'm able to rip it about 290-320 feet on a good day with just a little bit of a hyzer flip. I love the flight profile of it with it going straight for a long time and just the right amount of turn at the end. My other discs are DX Leopard, DX Beast, Star Destroyer, Star Roc, and the Aviar.

I'll look at some of your recommendations!

Knowing your distance now, and that you liked the River, I would say get another then. At this range it should be very glidey and long/easy on a mild hyzer flip, as you said.

As someone else mentioned, when you're throwing ~350' then it will get a lot less trustworthy. That's when you may want to move to something a bit more consistent/stable. But at this point if the River was straight/controlled for you, I think it would be a great disc.

A Saint was mentioned, and on Lat64's site it's called a faster River type disc. I have a very stable one so likely it's a bit of an outlier from my experience, but I would stay away from that one so far at your power level. It will act more closely to your Destroyer than your River until you get more distance.

jrawk:
I have a 170g Opto, perhaps that's why I find it so sensitive. It's crazy flippy, even when it was brand new on the first throw. I do like that I know it will flip on me every single time I throw it, but it's at the point now with my power level that it has a 50% chance of being the prettiest hyzer flips/turnovers, or it turns too far (or I throw it too low to prevent it from acting up on me). It's a very spin/nose sensitive disc...not that it climbs with the nose angle, but the turn amount varies significantly. It's just frustrating that when you throw it perfectly it's one of the nicest flights out there, so it keeps begging me to throw it.

Well, I lost my prized L64 River yesterday and after an hour of searching I gave it up as lost :'( On the bright side I did find an Innova Star Destroyer right where I expected my river to be :confused:

Before I run out and buy another river, any other discs I should look at? I'm gonna buy another river anyway though :) That's the disc that finally got me shooting consistently under par and I'm in love with it, but I'm always in the mood to buy more discs, so if you've got any recommendations (I'm an almost exclusively RHBH player) I'd love to hear them!

Closest - Amp. Something a little shorter and straighter in the same slot - Inspire. Something longer and a little easier to throw - Vision.

I'm currently bagging the Inspire and Vision, splitting the duties and adding a different set of uses between the two.

Dropped my beloved Rivers for Patriots. The River is a great disc but due to it's glidey nature it's horrible in any wind other than a tail. I carry a Icon Patriot for more glidey, turnover type shots and a pinnacle for more stable straight/hyzer duties.

Well...that's what I was going to say.

Also, for something slightly more stable, check out an Axiom Crave. Between the Crave and Patriot, I found no need to carry a River anymore.