• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River Woes

My 175 Opto River is pretty similar to my 175 Champ Leopard, which is definitely understable. But I don't have any other Rivers to compare it to. OP, unless your Teebirds and Leopards are pretty beat or your River is significantly different than mine, you shouldn't have an issue getting the River to match the distance of your other fairway drivers.

Last edited:
the river is the longest fairway driver I've thrown... It usually goes about as far as most speed 9 discs (like valks) for me... although it isn't the most controllable disc ever...

i just got the disc pass and there's an 171 opto river in it. i like it a lot better than the other two i threw a month ago, they were definitely more OS than i expected. the glide is killer, might keep it and use it for my distance disc.

still prefer TL's for precision shots.

the river is the longest fairway driver I've thrown... It usually goes about as far as most speed 9 discs (like valks) for me... although it isn't the most controllable disc ever...

I will say I have never been able to replace my Leopards with a River and never will.

I shoulda went with the opto river when i tried one. I had a 175 GL and it was too "finnessy" for me at the distance i needed it for. I throw a stalker/predator combo for my fairway options.

I love the River, I have a beat 7/10 173g Opto the holds the most beautiful annys and hyzer-flips, and a 179g GL that is super straight with a gentle fade. I also have a 172g Opto that is new that flies like the GL but it's clearish so no go for winter golf. I pair my rivers with a Gazelle for more stability. Rivers are an amazing disc if you can figure them out.

my 170 opto river is a dream, i'd say that's around the heaviest weight opto you should go.

I was throwing it in a big open field the other day and I must admit the river was definitely flowing. Not so much an S curve as it was a long straight line with the disc squiggling left and right every few feet.

Like a winding river.

My 178 GL Skulboy River is way FLIPPY! Maybe even more understable than my Vision. Flies nice with gobs of glide, but not exactly what I was expecting.

I just recently started throwing GL Rivers after a short trial period where they blew my leopards out of the water.... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my leopards but I can't get enough of the glide and it didn't take very long to embrace the touchiness of the river. I can put it dead straight with very little effort on a hyzer flip or turn it over big time on command with a nice slow, flat finish. I can also get some pretty accurate, long rollers with them.... we'll have to see how they break in, but I am loving them so far.
....Haven't tried an opto though and don't really plan to.

While changing discs and weights can mask some shortcomings, the matter of the thing is that you lack power generaly. Work on power and that river will soon fly straight as a arrow. Well, soon is of course relative.

When I first started throwing the River I thought it was flippy. My throws looked awful big pulls to the right that never came back. Every one said it was a great disc so I was pretty disappointed. I took the time to practice with the River and I started to clean up my form. It's still a work in progress but it's getting better. The thing that I noticed the most was that by working with the River my Strikers started getting longer and longer. When I started this season I was maxing out at around 300. By sticking with the River and working on my form I am now out to 350 feet. Not a huge jump but it's pretty consistent and it showed me that there is hope for further improvement.

I think that not only sums up the River, but the Fuse and Core as well. None of them are very forgiving of poor form or strong arming. When I am throwing well my Core flys effortlessly. When I am over throwing it doesn't go well at all. I also wonder if people that are bigger, stronger, or have very high power throws find it harder to throw these Latitude discs. To me the Buzzz and even a Teebird seems to have no glide compared to a Core or River. But, if you are a player with better snap or power than me the Buzzz and Teebird may be superior discs. Just my .02.

River

I agree with the prior post about form. The River is all about how smooth you are and clean your release is. I've thrown 174 opto, 163, 169, and 172 GLs and they were all very similar. The teebird is a much more forgiving disc.

I've thrown the River quite a bit. It's been out of my bag for a bit though as I'm not carrying any drivers slower than PD/TD. I think my issue with it is largely due to the diameter combined with the stability. It was hard for me to get the disc to spend the majority of it's flight riding flat. It wanted to either turn and hold for the majority of the shot, or not quite make it to flat from hyzer and fade early. I find it easier to get any of Innova/Millennium fairway driver to ride flat in the air for longer. They can also tip out and come back on tighter lines due to being smaller diameter. The River also lacks some kind of stabilizer to keep the disc flat in the air. This can be overcome with more power, but to me that defeated the purpose I wanted to use the disc for (powered down shots). The large diameter does provide a glide advantage, but at the cost of some consistency/predictability imo.

yeah i have been testing the GL River over the past few weeks.. 162 and lil domey 166g. I have been getting some of my best distances since discn down with these things but like you guys have mentioned if your form or releases are a lil off they will get squirrely... more so on the lighter one. I have been testing these to see how they compared with my dx teebirds and they are longer but just have no where near the same control and i think part of that may be the GL vs DX plastic i just dont seem to have the same grip..plus i have used the birds since i started. They are staying in the bag for now but the teebirds are going back in so i guess that says something too

well after playing in a heavily wooded area yesterday my opto river is flying much better :)

fall sux so i had to put the red colorshift GL away :(

I think that not only sums up the River, but the Fuse and Core as well. None of them are very forgiving of poor form or strong arming. When I am throwing well my Core flys effortlessly. When I am over throwing it doesn't go well at all. I also wonder if people that are bigger, stronger, or have very high power throws find it harder to throw these Latitude discs. To me the Buzzz and even a Teebird seems to have no glide compared to a Core or River. But, if you are a player with better snap or power than me the Buzzz and Teebird may be superior discs. Just my .02.

This is very true. I used my Fuse and River when thrown on about 85% power, with an easy throwing motion. I also have a Gazelle and Buzzz that I use for shots where I really want to put all my power into the throw. All are great discs, but they are definately not for the same types of throwing styles. I like the fuse and River b/c I don't overpower them when throwing annys, so that helps to eliminate turn and burn, but the Gazelle and the Buzzz when thrown on an anny will bail out right at the end of the flight while the other two just hold the line.

typically i find that discs that have hella glide are harder to accurately place than discs with less glide in the same speed range.

the opto river i've thrown the last two days has way more glide than my champ tl's, but i find it much easier to range and place the tl's because they have less glide.

True. I keep a stash of Teebirds around hoping for the day I suddenly learn to throw, and outgrow the River. But for a form-challenged noodle arm it works well. I carry a couple Teebirds and mix them in once and a while.

True. I keep a stash of Teebirds around hoping for the day I suddenly learn to throw, and outgrow the River. But for a form-challenged noodle arm it works well. I carry a couple Teebirds and mix them in once and a while.

I resemble this remark. :|

Latest posts