• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River

Only time will tell when discs fly better away from winter conditions, but right now my heavy Opto Rivers are pure money. I originally got into Rivers with a 178 Gold Line but my 173 and 177 Optos have that little extra touch of LSS that makes them absolutely perfect for keeping myself in the fairway. The best part of them for my game is that they do not always have to pushed for distance. They are excellent at getting the distance I would muscle a mid out to, but obviously I can throw softer, trust its line and fade, and concentrate on keeping it in the fairway. During the winter when footing is an issue, this has been crucial as I have been able to dial back the power.

I am going into battle this year with Opto Rivers and Gold Line Strikers covering most of my fairway duties.

Only time will tell when discs fly better away from winter conditions, but right now my heavy Opto Rivers are pure money. I originally got into Rivers with a 178 Gold Line but my 173 and 177 Optos have that little extra touch of LSS that makes them absolutely perfect for keeping myself in the fairway. The best part of them for my game is that they do not always have to pushed for distance. They are excellent at getting the distance I would muscle a mid out to, but obviously I can throw softer, trust its line and fade, and concentrate on keeping it in the fairway. During the winter when footing is an issue, this has been crucial as I have been able to dial back the power.

I am going into battle this year with Opto Rivers and Gold Line Strikers covering most of my fairway duties.

This exactly. Started out goldline the same way, but switched to heavier opto and fell in love. Probably my favorite thing to throw right now. I don't have big arm though. I can see if you throw 400+ that this might not be your disc.

I've only thrown an Opto, but I didn't have great results - well, my results were good, almost great even - but I never felt like I had a really good throw with it. I just got a heavy and a light GL though, so I'm excited to check them out; my Lat disc success seems to be really dependent on the right plastic, so I have especially high hopes for the GL River.

I love my 176 opto. I will hold a line at about 25 degrees of hyzer, and will flip and hold the line and fade back about 5 feet when flat. getting a 172 opto, hope it is slightly flippier, for more control stuff.

Hard to imagine a round without my GL rivers (163 and 178). They keep improving with age. The 163 has lost 95% of it's low speed fade. The 178 has lost 5% of it.

Techno, i've come to the conclusion you will never settle on specific molds. If you hit 3 aces in a row with them DX Teebirds, next year at this time you will have replaced them with something else.

Hard to imagine a round without my GL rivers (163 and 178). They keep improving with age. The 163 has lost 95% of it's low speed fade. The 178 has lost 5% of it.

Techno, i've come to the conclusion you will never settle on specific molds. If you hit 3 aces in a row with them DX Teebirds, next year at this time you will have replaced them with something else.

LOL You might be right. Sometimes, I just dont think Im happy if Im not swapping discs. Still got the Rivers because Im hoping I come across something really makes me wish I had it.

Gotta agree with jrawk. You're like my buddy Radar. As soon as he starts to learn a putter, and starts making longer putts, he shows up at the course with a new putter. WTF?? It's fun to tinker with new discs, but it's more fun to win and get better.

Gotta agree with jrawk. You're like my buddy Radar. As soon as he starts to learn a putter, and starts making longer putts, he shows up at the course with a new putter. WTF?? It's fun to tinker with new discs, but it's more fun to win and get better.

Truth. I know i haven't been playing very long, but since i've stopped switching molds so much (6 months ago) my accuracy has improved leaps and bounds..... especially my putting. You can take away my beer, my woman, and my country. Don't you DARE take my Rivers and Pures!

lol Hey, my Magics and Preds have been in there quite a while for me. Dont plan to change that anytime soon. Teebirds have been in my bag often, but have also been out of the bag here and there when I thought I didnt need them. Hornet and Fuse; well, they are working well but are generally still pretty new to me.

I got a 164 opto that is becoming my favorite.
I am dreading it breaking in because it can do alotta eagley type hyjinks right now with a bucketload more glide...

opto is super durable.
I wouldn't worry already hit a lot of trees with mine, and not a scuff on it.

I have more Lat discs than any 10 fellers...unless one them is Jeronimo :D

I know the opto is the most durable plastic out there. But try finding another 164 opto river...that's the predicamink

The glide on the River is great. It keeps me from having to regress back to trying to strong arm. Probably my favorite disc to throw right now is my opto River.

Maybe

I have more Lat discs than any 10 fellers...unless one them is Jeronimo :D

I know the opto is the most durable plastic out there. But try finding another 164 opto river...that's the predicamink

I'd like to challenge you on that, but I'm too lazy to go count them all. If I could switch to their putter and lose the Wizards I'd make a run at you. Maybe I'll crawl out to the garage sometime this week and do a rough count. Does something over 100 get me in the hunt?

I finally ditched the River entirely and sold all of mine while the stock was still high. I just never found it to be anything special - I'm a pretty low power thrower (I can hyzer flip a beat dx teebird about 330 on a golf line), and to me they were basically squirrely 7/10 dx teebirds with 10-20 feet more glide. The fact that a sweeping hyzer, a straight shot with almost no fade, and a turnover shot were separated by such a small amount of hyzer angle just didn't jive with me. Beat teebirds are much more linear, and I didn't have the patience to wait for one to beat in when I can get a new bird for $7 and get it to the sweet spot so much faster.

i have a Gold Line River. i find that plastic to generally be slightly more domey than Opto, at least as durable and similar amount of grip. if you're able to grope the discs before buying that would be ideal, if not i would recommend Opto since that is what i have leaned toward (cool images for the stamps only found on Opto, however GL has some great color changing dyes...)

the other day, I got a Pink River in the mail, pretty good condition GL, like 8.5/10. I threw it for awhile, and found that it was a lot less stable than the 170g GL I recently put in my bag. Because I am no good at hand comparison of weights, I thought it must've been one of the lighter Rivers I had traded for. When, I got home, I weighed it and it shows 174g on the scale. I thought to myself, must be the PLH, which would make sense, as I had just lost a 172g River that was more stable than both of these. But the PLH is the same.
WEIRD I think to myself...I fiddle with the discs, pondering this problem. Look at them side by side again....and the PLH looks different! Turns out the parting line had not magically changed, but I had rotated the discs. The trimming that the pink river got, ended (or started) deeper. Basically what it amounts to, is that for on average 1/3 of the circumference of the disc's edge, what is meant to be a smooth edge, is actually bevelled for half the height. And the angle and depth of this bevel is different, causing changes in stability out of the box.
It's easier to see in person, but I tried to take some pictures trying to show the issue. I looked at all my lat 64 discs after this, and over half of my 18 latitude drivers have this issue. Including several brand new discs that have never been thrown or been anywhere but the shop I bought it. This included Strikers, Flows, and Visions. The problems seems more pronounced on the Gold Line plastic from newer runs.

The top is obviously the edge where the uneven trimming was done, the bottom left is the discs profile where the trim is the worst, and the right is what the edge should look like.

River%202.jpg

River%201.jpg

This is the reply I got...
Hi Arthur,

Thank you for being an observant customer. This is an issue we are aware
of and that has been taken care of by getting a machine to do the flash
removal.
It should make for the most consistent edges in terms of flash removal on
the market.
There will still be some discs out there with the issue you mention and in
some cases it will make the difference in flight you are referring to.
All discs produced from now on will not have this issue though.

Thank you for caring about our discs and please let us know if you have
other feedback in the future.

Svante Eriksson
Sales Manager

171 Gold Line river = love. This was my favorite disc for quite some time after picking it up from gotta go when it was very very new. I carried a Teebird at the same weight for a while, until I lost the teebird. I found that they both had a place in my bag for different throws. I felt like if I threw the River I could go a lot more gentle on it. The thing holds it's line, glides forever, and doesn't fade hard. The teebird (champ) I felt was far more stable and faded much harder

Only problem is I have a gold colored River. If it goes into the woods I feel like it's just asking to be lost. and when it does, I plan on getting a brightly colored opto so I don't lose it

River=love

Latest posts