• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip!

TeeSquared

Par Member
For my fortieth birthday my wife has decided to take me on a week long road trip along the South East Coast, leaving from Vermont heading down to Savanah, GA. I know we will be stopping in Wilmington, NC for at least a couple days and I plan to play Castle Hayne, but obviously the question for all of you becomes what are the best courses to hit on my way down? This will be taking place during the week before Christmas... we'll probably head down 95 and I imagine it maybe a little frosty north of Richmond VA, but any suggestions will help plan the road trip. Thanks!

You need to hit Jordan Creek, Allentown, PA; Nockmixon in Quakertown, Pa; Tyler State Park in Newtown, PA, Sedgley Woods in Philadelphia, PA; Brandywine State Park, Wilmington, De; Iron Hill, Newark, De; and when you get down to Virginia I would play TheBlockhouse if it's open to the public.

The DC/Baltimore area usually isn't too bad weather-wise. I go there every year for Christmas and usually manage to get out for a round or two in relatively mild weather.

Tyler and Iron Hill are definitely top destination courses. Seneca Creek is another great place to stop.

I-95 is probably about 1 hour from Castle Hayne so you should think about taking Hwy 17 from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach (2 hours south) and play Socastee, then down Hwy 17 to Trophy Lakes on John's Island which is about 2 hours south of MB (Charleston) and about 2 hours north of Savannah.

tricky. above washington the weather will be unpredictable so you'd probably want to play that by ear.

there really isnt anything between wilmington and savannah, unless you go to charleston. which is out of the way but worth going to anyways.

the most dependable place for courses will probably be between washington and wilmington. that depends on what you are looking for. one idea might to cut through the eastern part of NC and play some of those courses.

and definitely play joe eakes as well

I-95 is probably about 1 hour from Castle Hayne so you should think about taking Hwy 17 from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach (2 hours south) and play Socastee, then down Hwy 17 to Trophy Lakes on John's Island which is about 2 hours south of MB (Charleston) and about 2 hours north of Savannah.

this is a really good idea. especially as it allows you to see more of the southeast and less of I95. it concentrates more of your time in the southeast, which sounds like is the point.

its also a great time of year to be playing in that part of the country

also play james island, underrated course and 4 miles from trophy lakes

Thanks, so far this is exactly what i'm looking for! I already have Castle Hayne, Socastee, Trophy Lakes on the list, any one play Tom Triplett? It looks inviting... I realize there are more courses inland, but want to stay near the coast so the wife can visit the beaches... I'd love to hit up Blockhouse but don't know the status, it says closed, but anyone know if you can call in advance and ask politely? Tyler State Park and Seneca Creek look fun too weather permtting! Keep 'em coming!

I assumed triplet was a given. I'd play it at least twice. The different tees are often completely different holes. Its also a good time of year to play the sarge just north if savannah

BlockHouse is in VA. I believe it is closed.

closed, but still there! :) maybe a phone call is in order? Anyone in the know for sure about The Blockhouse being closed to all?

Thanks Everyone! This trip is shaping up nicely so far!

closed, but still there! :) maybe a phone call is in order? Anyone in the know for sure about The Blockhouse being closed to all?

Thanks Everyone! This trip is shaping up nicely so far!

It's definitely worth a phone call. Biscoe on here would have more details.

That's what I'd do. Looks like it'll only add an hour or so to your total driving time, and Trophy Lakes is worth that hour in itself. Craig, shouldn't that bring them close to Sewee Outpost, too? (I'm too lazy to look it up). Anything to stay off I-95, which is no fun to drive and something of a disc golf wasteland across South Carolina.

Plus, you can visit Charleston.

I assumed triplet was a given. I'd play it at least twice. The different tees are often completely different holes. Its also a good time of year to play the sarge just north if savannah

Seconded. Tom Triplett & The Sarge are both virtually on I-95 exit ramps, 8 miles apart, and shortly before you get to Savannah. Both are good courses; I'd choose Triplett if I could only play one.

If you visit Charleston there's a few courses down there, but I'd recommend placing a higher priority on enjoying the city instead of playing any courses there

Sweet! Thanks David! And everyone else. Triplett is on the mando list! I will def follow Filo's advice for Wilmington to Savannah and hit up Socastee and Trophy Lakes...

How far is Stoney Hill from Charleston?

Last edited: