• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc/Wizard popularity?

Roc/Wizard popularity?

• I Throw Rocs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Throw Wizards

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I Throw Rocs and Wizards

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I Throw Neither

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
masterbeato said:
I like throwing stable midranges.

Have you tried Discmania S-Line MD1? Mine is 170 and and when new is more overstable at all speed ranges than new max weight DX Rancho. D-line is about the same but mine is 180. My 177 SG-line is the least stable of them all and only a tad more stable than a new DX Ranchero. For low lines at high speeds they fly straight. For less power or more height they get fade in the end or if thrown very high they fade like Teebirds. MD1 is the new Roc available in primo plastic cheap unlike Rocs. I'm confident in making this claim because is is in part a Roc and behaves fairly close. And Dave Dunipace was involved in shaping of the disc.

I haven't thrown any other Rocs than soft blend DX so I imagine MD1 would be close to KC Pro or glow. It definitely is longer than DX Roc when given a lot of power. 100 % vs 100 % of power when more than say 230' MD1 is longer of the two. It isn't stable enough in winds at 150 at full power on medium high lines in D-Line plastic but man that putts nicely!!! Better than my 171 Rancho. Holds height better can handle winds and requires less power for more finesse in throwing technique without being too finicky demanding insane finesse ability.

For people having trouble with the bead or height of a Roc this should be easier to grip as long as you can live with the sharp bottom. If you have trouble turning over Buzzes or Wasps are to LSS MD1 may very well work great for you too. This baby is the 21st century Roc IMO and beats out a Buzzz every time and I like my FLX and for shorter non windy throws like the Z Buzzz too. MD1 might take longer to wear to money anny but still annies very well when new. It's my new mid but I complement it with QMS for throws where very little fade is required. When new MD1s aren't favorable on uphill tunnels or over the trees hyzer flips on narrow fairways.

For me MD1s are more forgiving of thrower errors in every department I've noticed thus far except it is more nose angle sensitive than a Roc but the difference isn't big.

Animix said:
Roc - Love the disc, but the courses around here are VERY rough. Rocky and lots of trees. I have an 18 month old Roc that people thought I'd had for 10 years. I wanted a premium plastic mid and Sharks are very similar and very easy to find.
How did the Roc fly?

garublador said:
Animix said:
Roc - Love the disc, but the courses around here are VERY rough. Rocky and lots of trees. I have an 18 month old Roc that people thought I'd had for 10 years. I wanted a premium plastic mid and Sharks are very similar and very easy to find.
How did the Roc fly?

I haven't thrown the Roc since December of 06, but I didn't notice a huge diff between the Roc and my Sharks <bought 2 of them initially, just got a 3rd>. That Roc had just beaten to the point where I was throwing hyzerflip bullets with it straight at the target. It was a bit light tho, 169g. I bought that Roc as part of my initial 3 discs in the game, so there's a slightly sentimental reason for retiring it.

masterbeato said:
But when someone sits there and tries to tell me not to throw something, or says something like that simply because they noticed that I throw it and telling me it's not nearly as good as this disc is that they throw, I get pissed.

It's funny, the only people I ever hear say that kind of thing are trying to get me to throw Rocs.

Several of the same people have been amazed at what I can do with a Comet - and I'm not even all that good! Whenever someone asks me "what disc was that?!" in amazement, it was always a Comet. Most people think the Comet is trash. Those people lack the technique to throw it, but I don't care.

I think, instead of telling people to throw a different disc, they should spend more time helping people improve their form, so they can properly throw the discs they have.

why Innova has so many discs in production? Can you see why people can have such widely different approaches to playing and the demands made on the properties of discs? The amount of roads that lead to Rome isn't few.

i think there's way too many discs out there.

if there were less discs people would worry more about how they throw things rather than what they are throwing.

usually you can look to the "go to" discs of people with great technique to see what the desirable properties of discs are.

manufacturing golf discs is a business and by making anything new you are guaranteed to sell a lot of em. there's a reason the under 300' range is basically "juiced in" with pros and it's because nothing comes out that is better than what is already there in terms of desirable characteristics. it's good they are still trying to outdo what has been done, but it's not shocking when it takes a very special disc to win a trusted role amongst players. if a disc better than a roc comes out, i'll throw it. if a putter better than a wizard comes out, i'll throw it.

i think most people have craptastic form and they'd benefit greatly from attempting to master a superior disc rather than searching for magic beans and buying everything that comes out. that's the honest truth :)

my students always end up throwing rocs because once i get em throwing rocs 300' they can't imagine throwing anything else as a go to midrange.

if people bought the best discs and donated the rest of their money to DGR instead of buying one of everything and a jelly donut in search of the perfect disc i'd be a rich man :)

Blake_T said:
why Innova has so many discs in production? Can you see why people can have such widely different approaches to playing and the demands made on the properties of discs? The amount of roads that lead to Rome isn't few.

i think there's way too many discs out there.

if there were less discs people would worry more about how they throw things rather than what they are throwing.

usually you can look to the "go to" discs of people with great technique to see what the desirable properties of discs are.

manufacturing golf discs is a business and by making anything new you are guaranteed to sell a lot of em. there's a reason the under 300' range is basically "juiced in" with pros and it's because nothing comes out that is better than what is already there in terms of desirable characteristics. it's good they are still trying to outdo what has been done, but it's not shocking when it takes a very special disc to win a trusted role amongst players. if a disc better than a roc comes out, i'll throw it. if a putter better than a wizard comes out, i'll throw it.

i think most people have craptastic form and they'd benefit greatly from attempting to master a superior disc rather than searching for magic beans and buying everything that comes out. that's the honest truth :)

my students always end up throwing rocs because once i get em throwing rocs 300' they can't imagine throwing anything else as a go to midrange.

if people bought the best discs and donated the rest of their money to DGR instead of buying one of everything and a jelly donut in search of the perfect disc i'd be a rich man :)

Exactly my analysis about every other part except that I like my MD1s more than my Rocs by a small margin. I don't know how MD1s break in because all of mine are new. If they break in as well as Rocs mixed usage isn't that important compared to now. They are near clones flight wise with just enough differences to justify a different name and reserving longest throws for MD1s and shorter throws for Rocs. In my books. Because I don't have absolutely fadeless high line Rocs now I complement my arsenal of MD1s with a gummy QMS. But take into account that my home course has a majority of uphill drives within midrange disc driving distance. Most of the holes being tunnels/semi tunnels where little to no left to right movement is acceptable. And turning over is bad indeed.

I certainly subscribe to the school of it's the Indian not the arrow but I'm so greedy about getting the best possible results that before I'm at my best performance level I'd at least like to use the best possible discs for me. And solidifying my bag to the best possible disc compliment for practice of my form alone. The irony is that new and improved discs arrive yearly and that does change things a bit. Thanks to this site I'm fairly set with my bag for the first time to really train with the core discs. That should help in seeing how my form makes the changes not the discs.

If it weren't for the new and improved Roc the MD1 I'd be gladly using the Roc in different stages of wear as soon as I could wear one to fly fadeless on high lines. For the record I throw over 300' max with 171 Roc that I lost and MD1s. And almost 300' on average.

In my books the MD1 is in most roles the better disc to a Roc but by the slightest of margins and can't cope as well as the only mid mold in the bag. It certainly is worth an audition.

Jesse B 707 said:
^^^^^^^
there has GOT to be a way to say that with less words :p

Now translated from JR speak:
shortened JR said:
I like MD1s more than Rocs I don't know how MD1s break in because all of mine are new. If they break in as well as Rocs mixed usage isn't that important compared to now. They are near clones flight wise. I complement my arsenal of MD1s with a gummy QMS.

I certainly subscribe to the school of it's the Indian not the arrow .

If it weren't for the new and improved Roc the MD1 I'd be gladly using the Roc in different stages of wear.

In my books the MD1 is in most roles the better disc to a Roc.

see that was easy, thats a post that i may actually read instead of skipping it due to its GIGANTIC length :lol: no harm intended to JR but sometimes i dont want to read a War and Peace sized novel to find out how a disc flies

just checked back on this for the first time in a while, seems like over 80% of voters are throwing the roc and/or wizard....amazing

garublador said:
Animix said:
That Roc had just beaten to the point where I was throwing hyzerflip bullets with it straight at the target.
That sounds horrible, I see why you switched. ;)

Hehe. I kind of have a rule. When a disc becomes 'precious' enough to you that you worry about losing it, stop throwing it. To make the good shots, you have to take a risk once in a while. If you are worried about losing it, you'll back off and kill your form and have horrible shots. So I retired the Roc in favor of something that would last longer. My Star Sharks.

it's not like a beat roc is irreplaceable. according to half the people that don't throw rocs it only takes like 3 days to beat another one in :p

Blake_T said:
it's not like a beat roc is irreplaceable. according to half the people that don't throw rocs it only takes like 3 days to beat another one in :p
:lol: :lol: i wish it was the case i wouldn't have to baby my thrashed old DX soldier

Blake_T said:

I wish we had harder versions of DX locally than this goo we have now :-( I have no trouble in making a soft Roc much straighter in an hour if I rip it to ground, rocks or trees. Blechhh.

Frank_Delicious said:
Jesse B 707 said:
^^^^^^^

shortened JR said:
I like MD1s more than Rocs I don't know how MD1s break in because all of mine are new. If they break in as well as Rocs mixed usage isn't that important compared to now. They are near clones flight wise. I complement my arsenal of MD1s with a gummy QMS.

If it weren't for the new and improved Roc the MD1 I'd be gladly using the Roc in different stages of wear.

If I were going for brevity and not making two points and I'm not gonna discuss why I'm making those points it would read:

MD1 is a faster longer, more overstable Roc that extends Mid range distance available at the expense of less versatility at shorter distances.

Or try one it's great.

Or MD1 FTW.

Or MD1!

Can you make it shorter? Is some detail lost in shortening the message that may be relevant to people considering purchasing one?

Did you think I was writing for your needs only ? :^) Just like on your television you can change the channel or do something else. Do you watch everything on the tube? Why should every program be catered for you?

Even Shorter JR said:
Frank_Delicious said:
Jesse B 707 said:
^^^^^^^

shortened JR said:

MD1!

Can you make it shorter?

I'm just messing man. I don't care how long you write, just making a little joke.

Blake_T said:
Joking aside, Blake is right. All you have to do is shelve the beat one and then beat in another one. Another strategy is to use newer ones for risky shots. If the shot is too risky, don't take it.

Blake_T said:

Whatever. If someone has a roc that will flip from hyzer to anhyzer in 100 ft, send it to me!