• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

Friend had a gummy, domey, light pink one, at the course. His was definitely over stable. "Not quite Gator OS, with more glide than Gator" was his opinion. 1001 rated player, for reference. OT: He was loving his Aviar 3!

I bought four of these from the proshop, all dayglows. The bottom piece looks to be the same as the Roc3. The top is very similar, obviously modeled on the former with a taper to the *very* mild dome, the leading edge is more blunt at the top. In the hand they feel nearly identical, which is about everything one could ask for, given its name.
It hasn't stopped raining or snowing since November here, so I'll have to make a 30 mile drive to throw them in something that isn't a swamp. No reports on flight here, sorry.
Judging by the profile, they probably won't be super overstable, but first chance I get, I'll forehand one with some nice clean form into a headwind for y'all.

After a few more rounds with the rocx3 in my bag, I'm really liking it. It is just such a workable disc. I'm getting basically the same distance as my roc3, but I'm able to put it on tight turnovers and fight through headwinds without worrying about going right. Its like a Sexton firebird in midrange form.

RocX3

From Innova today...

The X Factor Mid-Range: Champion RocX3

Extra stable, extra reliable. Thirty years after we first launched the Roc, we introduce our most overstable version yet, the RocX3. We've given our legendary disc a low profile and hefty rim to create extra stability, making it the ideal Mid-Range for windy conditions and forehand throws. Power players will love the control. X Factor fueled, the evolution continues. RocX3.

The First Release RocX3 is molded in our popular Champion plastic and stamped with the "Champion Star" first release logo. Ships to dealers beginning April 17.

Flight Numbers: 5 | 3 | 0 | 3.5
Weights: 178-180 grams
MSRP: $16.99
dhqZvCFelThBYqRqcG899pzh0k4NPpIH7fvvorV0ua1zPQSeec3x0zetPOiA06fTk1uSUZNomHsnnv0=w422-h211

After a few more rounds with the rocx3 in my bag, I'm really liking it. It is just such a workable disc. I'm getting basically the same distance as my roc3, but I'm able to put it on tight turnovers and fight through headwinds without worrying about going right. Its like a Sexton firebird in midrange form.

I never understand when people compare a midrange to a driver... or a driver to a putter...why not compare it to another midrange?

I never understand when people compare a midrange to a driver... or a driver to a putter...why not compare it to another midrange?

How else are you supposed to know for example that the aviar3 flies kinda like a buzz but nothing like a hatchet?

I dont want to make assumptions and be surprised when I buy a stack of a new mold.

i recently threw an orange rocx3 just to see how it would compare to my old z wasps and buzzz os. into a 15mph headwind, it flew somewhat similar to my wasps but had some minor HST,thrown flat it tracked right a smidge and then held straight and landed straight. My wasp flew similar but it was seasoned and finished with more LSF. the buzzz os was much more HSS and LSS than the rocx3 so it didnt really compare. the rocx3 feels good and is a nice stable roc but i wouldnt call it the most OS roc ever,the 01 CE's and the 4x kenny glows are the most os rocs ive ever thrown.

Agreed. I have a few usdgc ranchos that make this look like a standard roc 3. I sort of regret throwing one now. At least I traded it for something I do throw.

I don't understand why this is an issue for you?

Why not just think about how the driver flies, then think about a mid range disc doing that same flight for a shorter distance.

This doesn't relate to the stuff above, but how great would some nice Mcpro rocx3s be? I think it would be cool if they could maintain some stability for a little while and cycle nicely.

As the name would imply, these are definitely more Roc3 than Gator. About the same HSS, and a hair more LSS than my champ glows or metal flake Roc3s. They want to finish about the same amount left (RHBH) as a fresh old KC Roc, but get there straighter at first, then with a more nose-up fade.
I'll probably not be saving my extras, aside from the thrower I tested.

I did some field testing between:
180g Champ Roc3
180g domey Star Rancho
180g Champ RocX3

RocX3 is definitely the most OS out of the bunch.

There were mild headwinds (10-ish mph and slightly gusty) but the RocX3 did just fine. Held a straight line right through the wind. The other two molds were flipping a little.

The fade was noticeably more in the RocX3, it obviously wanted to kick in and flare to the left. The cool part was that it was a late fade and glided very well while it was fading. It didn't dump left, it carried left and covered more ground.

Oooooh that glide! The glide surprising. The RocX3 consistently went 20' further than the other two. Pretty cool considering it feels identical to a Roc in the hand.

I don't really like Champ plastic. I throw it when I need durability or overstability but that's not very often. I much prefer DX/Pro-D/KC/XT/etc. Having said that, this Champ plastic feels better than most. It was very slightly soft and is very grippy, noticeably more than the Champ Roc3. Still, I'm very interested in auditioning a DX and/or XT RocX3. Even if the DX or XT makes the bag I'll still carry a Champ for those shots that call for a really overstable, durable disc. Like when you have to scramble out of the rough by crashing a tomahawk through a bunch of branches; perfect for Champ.

All in all this seems like an obvious addition to the bag for me. It just clicks for me. Its a little surprising how little chatter there is about this disc.

hopefully this is helpful for somebody else :)

I did some field testing between:
180g Champ Roc3
180g domey Star Rancho
180g Champ RocX3

RocX3 is definitely the most OS out of the bunch.

There were mild headwinds (10-ish mph and slightly gusty) but the RocX3 did just fine. Held a straight line right through the wind. The other two molds were flipping a little.

The fade was noticeably more in the RocX3, it obviously wanted to kick in and flare to the left. The cool part was that it was a late fade and glided very well while it was fading. It didn't dump left, it carried left and covered more ground.

Oooooh that glide! The glide surprising. The RocX3 consistently went 20' further than the other two. Pretty cool considering it feels identical to a Roc in the hand.

I don't really like Champ plastic. I throw it when I need durability or overstability but that's not very often. I much prefer DX/Pro-D/KC/XT/etc. Having said that, this Champ plastic feels better than most. It was very slightly soft and is very grippy, noticeably more than the Champ Roc3. Still, I'm very interested in auditioning a DX and/or XT RocX3. Even if the DX or XT makes the bag I'll still carry a Champ for those shots that call for a really overstable, durable disc. Like when you have to scramble out of the rough by crashing a tomahawk through a bunch of branches; perfect for Champ.

All in all this seems like an obvious addition to the bag for me. It just clicks for me. Its a little surprising how little chatter there is about this disc.

hopefully this is helpful for somebody else :)

I completely agree with your assessment of the disc and the fact there isn't enough talk about it. Maybe it's too new and hasn't gotten in enough players hands yet.

This is by far my new favorite disc. Tons of glide and stability. It's quickly become one of my most thrown Rocs and really completes my midrange setup. It feels just like any other Roc3 but I have 100% trust it will hold the same line over and over in anything but extreme headwinds. I picked up two Proto Stars but haven't tried those yet. They feel exactly the same as the CFRs so I expect the same flight. Excellent disc. If your a Roc thrower I highly recommend you try one.

I completely agree with your assessment of the disc and the fact there isn't enough talk about it. Maybe it's too new and hasn't gotten in enough players hands yet...If your a Roc thrower I highly recommend you try one.

The biggest problem has been finding them. I'd love to get my hands on one of these, but they're just not available. I wish these would go into full production.

Latest posts