• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rogue Iron Disc Retriever

txmxer

* Ace Member *
I decided to get a disc retriever last week. I looked at a few DG websites and they were out of stock, so I went to Amazon to see what they had. I found this one from Rogue Iron Disc Golf.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XNZQ8MX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Turns out they are basically local to me in Grandbury, Texas (20 miles away). I received the retriever today and it seems to be good quality. Amazing how far it extends. Compressed, it's just shy of 16" and extends to 16' as advertised.

I haven't used it yet, but did take a few pics to share. Would have been handy this Sunday, but fortunately, one of the guys had a retriever. Saved us at least three trips in to the icy creek, so I feel this will be a useful tool in the future.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 94
If there isn't already a hole in the base of the handle, punch one in right away. Helps with drainage. I've found with various brands of telescoping retrievers: if it isn't completely dried shortly after each use, it WILL sieize up and become useless.

I love wing nuts.

If there isn't already a hole in the base of the handle, punch one in right away. Helps with drainage. I've found with various brands of telescoping retrievers: if it isn't completely dried shortly after each use, it WILL sieize up and become useless.

I love wing nuts.

thanks for the tip. I had seen others talk about keeping it dry and possibly using some type of lubricant/oil occasionally.

For the retrievers I've had, I take the grip off...drill a hole in it for drainage. And then spray WD40 into the pole...I then open and close the pole several times to spread the WD40 out. Don't spray too much or the pole collapses when you try to get a disc out of a tree.

I decided to get a disc retriever last week. I looked at a few DG websites and they were out of stock, so I went to Amazon to see what they had. I found this one from Rogue Iron Disc Golf.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XNZQ8MX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Turns out they are basically local to me in Grandbury, Texas (20 miles away). I received the retriever today and it seems to be good quality. Amazing how far it extends. Compressed, it's just shy of 16" and extends to 16' as advertised.

I haven't used it yet, but did take a few pics to share. Would have been handy this Sunday, but fortunately, one of the guys had a retriever. Saved us at least three trips in to the icy creek, so I feel this will be a useful tool in the future.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is this representative of the typical amount of flex/give in all pole type retrievers?

For the retrievers I've had, I take the grip off...drill a hole in it for drainage. And then spray WD40 into the pole...I then open and close the pole several times to spread the WD40 out. Don't spray too much or the pole collapses when you try to get a disc out of a tree.

thanks. I'll do that.

Is this representative of the typical amount of flex/give in all pole type retrievers?

I'd say it's typical of any pole retriever that has a reach of 10+ ft. and is compact and light enough for players to want to carry in/on their bag at all times.

I've seen some shorter pole types in the 4-6 ft range that don't bend much at all, but they're not popular because of their limited range. :\

The Whirld Sports Scepter has stiff pole that telescopes to 6ft.
https://store.whirldsports.com/item/the-scepter-disc-golf-caddie

The original pole that came with my Disc Gator (many years ago), was about 5ft and quite stiff. I don't even think they offer that pole any more, and only offer the 11ft tent poles at this point.
Much better once I got the 11ft tent poles, flex and all.
https://tri-fly.com/products/disc-golf-disc-gator?variant=32604933095473

I got this one just a year ago at Infinite for $25 and $6 for shipping https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Retrievers/18209/Infinite-Discs-Rescue-Retriever. It has gone up to $35 now. It is also 16 feet. It replaced my InZone after it rusted out after a year. The Infinite has some kind of coating on it that really protects it and keeps it smooth to extend, especially since I'm around salt water. I did a search on telescoping poles and most of the recommendations were against spray lubes such as WD 40 because they said the elements cause them to gum up after a while. I do make sure to occasionally spray down the extended retriever with the hose and every time it goes into the water (especially salt water) I immediately wipe it down.

(Why does sal****er as one word get ***??):\

I got this one just a year ago at Infinite for $25 and $6 for shipping https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Retrievers/18209/Infinite-Discs-Rescue-Retriever. It has gone up to $35 now. It is also 16 feet. It replaced my InZone after it rusted out after a year. The Infinite has some kind of coating on it that really protects it and keeps it smooth to extend, especially since I'm around salt water. I did a search on telescoping poles and most of the recommendations were against spray lubes such as WD 40 because they said the elements cause them to gum up after a while. I do make sure to occasionally spray down the extended retriever with the hose and every time it goes into the water (especially salt water) I immediately wipe it down.

(Why does sal****er as one word get ***??):\

Good to know that about that retriever. I got two of them for Christmas, which is good since I have two bags and won't have to swap my retriever from one bag to another.

FWIW

I don't do squat to maintain/care for the tent poles on my Disc Gator. Dirt, sand, water... I honestly don't give a single thought about what I put it through.

Been using it for over 5 yrs, and other than maybe wiping it down with a towel when it starts to look grungy every once in a blue moon, literally haven't done anything to it.

Still going strong.
Easy is good. :)