• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ROOKIE

My advice is to stick with the Shark and Aviar awhile. Most courses, that's all you'll need. At least until you're shooting par golf with them.

If you really want something a little faster, try out a Cheetah. Even if you're not naturally athletic, you should be able to score well with that lineup.

Great advice. The cheetah is a really versatile fairway driver especially for newer players. Because it has just a touch of fade, it also makes it easier to transition to other drivers than from the leopard IMO.

no i bought them seperate they weigh.....aviar-175....valk-165...shark-180

Good man. Those are good weights, well done.

I would probably advise either a Gazelle, Cyclone, or Cheetah (Leopard is good but you can use your Valk in a pinch for right turning shots) for the reason Mashnut gave. I would definitely advise something along the lines of a Comet, Fuse, Stingray, or Mako, something fairly neutral to understable for you to iron out your form with b/c they don't tolerate bad form as much as the Shark would.

Can't believe nobody said this yet but get another matching aviar. This will help you when it is time to practice putting and is also good for approach shots. Approaching with your "putting" putter can cause it to change in stability if it gets banged up to much.

wow thats funny when i got my first disc it was given to me by a friend and he gave me the choice of the leopard or the boss and chose the boss...sounds like i shouldve picked the leopard

wow thats funny when i got my first disc it was given to me by a friend and he gave me the choice of the leopard or the boss and chose the boss...sounds like i shouldve picked the leopard

That's a cruel friend, starting you out with a Boss.

i would definitely get another aviar as suggested above, plus a lighter shark if you like the mold. i would not recommend a beginner to start out with a max weight mid range. 172-174g would be good.

Lots of good disc suggestions in here.

I think you will have quicker progress if you settle on about 5 or 6 of them that seem to show potential for you, for left and right turns and straight shots. And then really, really, really focus on learning to throw those over a period of months.

Resist the urge to carry around a gigantic bag filled with discs, it will hinder your throwing consistency, and it will not make you cool.

Lots of good disc suggestions in here.

I think you will have quicker progress if you settle on about 5 or 6 of them that seem to show potential for you, for left and right turns and straight shots. And then really, really, really focus on learning to throw those over a period of months.

Resist the urge to carry around a gigantic bag filled with discs, it will hinder your throwing consistency, and it will not make you cool.

Yep. Where I come when we see a guy with a gazillion discs, we joke that he's either a Pro or a complete newb, and we're usually right

Yea my first disc I bought was a halo before I started reading here. I saw the speed 13 with 0 turn thinking I was cool first throw with it I hooked that sucker so hard it came back like a boomerang. Quickly bought a comet an cyclone and saved myself from myself.

A lot of folks will say the Leopard. And I have to agree. Best starter disc out there. And the best part about the Leopard is it could always stay in your bag no matter how far you progress in the sport. Here are a few good reasons to go with the Leopard:

Good distance
Does a variety of shot shapes with ease
Excellent get out of trouble disc
Wide variety of weights (after 4+ years of playing I carry a 150g & 175g)
Wide Variety of plastics (I kind of go against the grain here by recommending the better plastics)

Champ/ Z/ Translucent hard plastic equivalent start out overstable (er), are durable, but can break in inconsistently
DX/Pro D/Pro/ X are cheaper, less durable, but have generally good grip, better glide, and break in gradually to be less stable (better for beginners)

star/esp/gold line type plastics (generally) have better grip and a bit more glide than the champ/elite z/opto type plastics. they break in a bit faster too.

Wide Variety of plastics (I kind of go against the grain here by recommending the better plastics)
No, I'm with you here. I wish I had started out with a Champ X-out for drivers b/c after the inevitable gazillion tree wacks you get as a n00b, it's impossible to tell if it's the disc or you that sucks. The only caveat is that many would argue that the Leopard only flies like a Leo in DX or Pro plastic. :\
Can't believe nobody said this yet but get another matching aviar. This will help you when it is time to practice putting and is also good for approach shots. Approaching with your "putting" putter can cause it to change in stability if it gets banged up to much.
butthead.jpg
Uhhh, oh yeah.

Latest posts