• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rounding...

bsnone

Par Member
So since the Beato thread has been up and my tournament schedule has cooled down for a couple months I decided to get back to work on form. Since I've started playing I've been struggling with rounding/hugging the body on my shots - I really struggle to get the disc just down the line (AKA - getting my body out of the way). I started working the wall drill recently in addition to working field work with closed shoulder / snap drill to try and get the disc just down the line.

I feel like when I concentrate on chopping the elbow and pulling into my chest, my front shoulder opens way too soon and I end up sending the disc far left of the target (LHBH thrower). An obersvation from today: when I try and incorporate my hips into the wall drill my shoulder again opens up and I think nullifies somewhat any arc that I'm gaining by pulling the disc close and chopping out the elbow.

This could all just be bad timing too - I never (or rarely) feel the "heavy disc" feel from the inward pull so perhaps my issues are still strong arming from the get go...

Here's what I'm trying to do to alleviate some of these problems:

Reciprocating Dingle Arm (trying to start the disc further away from the body to allow for a straight down the line shot and trying to get the "heavy disc" feel through the inward pull)

Wall Drill (trying to get the disc down a straight line and reduce rounding, try and incorporate a feel for the elbow chop)

Closed Shoulder Snap (trying to put the above to drills to work in a more shot specific context)

As of right now, just working closed shoulder snap drill with putters and mids, don't really see the point of incorporating any drivers at this point.

Any thoughts? Feedback? Similar experiences? I'll get back to video taping once it drops below 100 degrees here in Arizona... Thanks.

Sounds like you are just spinning your hips open. There is a forward/linear component to the hips being weight back to weight forward.

Closed shoulder drill should only be done with putters and maybe understable mids.

Try this:
From a closed stance and closed shoulder try elbowing something like a punching bag, you want to move the punching bag forward. Then you should be able to extend the lower arm forward opening the shoulder and back fist the bag forward again. There should be no or very little energy directing the bag to the right(RHBH). The back fist should be further forward the the elbow hit, you may need to move your feet back from the bag after the elbow hit if your bag/target doesn't move. Really plow the bag forward using your weight and shoulder, don't just smack it. You don't have to bring the elbow forward by changing the elbow bend angle, you can keep the elbow bent forward and turn the shoulders back and forth to hit with the elbow forward, but the shoulders should still be closed on the elbow hit. You don't have to do this fast either, it should be like slow motion. If your shoulders are open during the elbow hit, the bag is going to push your elbow back toward your chest, or there will be very little plowing forward which is bad for power/leverage.

Sounds like you are just spinning your hips open. There is a forward/linear component to the hips being weight back to weight forward.

Closed shoulder drill should only be done with putters and maybe understable mids.

Try this:
From a closed stance and closed shoulder try elbowing something like a punching bag, you want to move the punching bag forward. Then you should be able to extend the lower arm forward opening the shoulder and back fist the bag forward again. There should be no or very little energy directing the bag to the right(RHBH). The back fist should be further forward the the elbow hit, you may need to move your feet back from the bag after the elbow hit if your bag/target doesn't move. Really plow the bag forward using your weight and shoulder, don't just smack it. You don't have to bring the elbow forward by changing the elbow bend angle, you can keep the elbow bent forward and turn the shoulders back and forth to hit with the elbow forward, but the shoulders should still be closed on the elbow hit. You don't have to do this fast either, it should be like slow motion. If your shoulders are open during the elbow hit, the bag is going to push your elbow back toward your chest, or there will be very little plowing forward which is bad for power/leverage.

SW can you elaborate on the reasoning behind the bolded?

What about the Beato drill? Can that be worked with drivers etc?

Thanks again for the feedback SW... always very much appreciated.

Putters work best. It's easier to feel the weight and leverage on narrow rims.

Ahhhhhh... one word that, at least today, was so very helpful... SW mentioned a LINEAR motion with the hips - I went out with that in mind and wow did that help things considerably!

No access to a punching bag yet but I should once the gym opens up at the University in a couple weeks... lots to feel good about today after just a short field session with putters only. Were there other things that were a mess? Of course but the stupid disc went on the line nearly every time. :) Feeling cautiously optimistic.

I would love to see a video of this punching bag drill. I am having trouble imagining the positions you are describing.

Latest posts