• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules question

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
As a general rule, a disc must be played where it comes to rest.

The other day I had a disc go astray and it came to rest in a road and obviously out of bounds. :( The rule states you play your next shot from where it crossed out of bounds. But what if the disc is run over by a passing vehicle, pops up and rolls back in bounds? :) Essentially it came to rest twice.

Angie and I decided that no penalty should be taken and I played it as my second shot from just inside the out of bounds where it was resting when I walked up to it.

Anyone have an "official" ruling? :confused:

I believe you played it right. Its the same as if a passer by picked up your disc and threw it, you play where it came to rest even after something or someone else moved it.

I don't have a rule book handy, but I believe this a case similar to a disc that is stuck in a tree above 2 meters. In that case, if someone elses disc or the wind or something knocks it out of the tree then you play it where it lies with no penalty. As long as the driver didn't try to run it over with the intent of knocking back in bounds I think you should be fine with the no penalty.

it's ob. rule reads something like "if a disc that has come to rest on the playing surface is moved it shall be replaced as close as possible to the original lie".

it's ob. rule reads something like "if a disc that has come to rest on the playing surface is moved it shall be replaced as close as possible to the original lie".

but I beleive that refers to the player moving the disc, or am I misunderstanding? I always thought that the disc is "in play" if you will until the player reaches the disc in a reasonable amount of time.

for example, what if a player thows his disc onto the side on a steep hill and the disc comes to a rest. then as the player is waiting for the others to throw his disc gets dislodged somehow and slides down the rest of the hill. wouldn't you play that from the bottom of the hill where it finally came to rest?

I know this is true in ball golf as a ball is in play until the player marks his ball. I beleive I was watching the US Open this year and a player thought his ball might roll down the hill into the water even though it had stopped on the hill, so he ran to the green in order to mark his ball before anything bad happened. I would assume the same is true for DG.

Sorry for the expose on it, I was just stating what I thought to be correct. :eek:

I don't have a rule book handy, but I believe this a case similar to a disc that is stuck in a tree above 2 meters. In that case, if someone elses disc or the wind or something knocks it out of the tree then you play it where it lies with no penalty. As long as the driver didn't try to run it over with the intent of knocking back in bounds I think you should be fine with the no penalty.

No, the "in the tree" is the exception. Otherwise, when a disc comes to rest, that's where the next lie is, regardless of what else may happen to it.

I've seen a disc on a sloped green be hit by another disc and start sliding down, like croquet. You restore the disc to where it was.

I've seen non-disc-golfers pick up a disc and throw it towards the basket. The player doesn't get rewarded for that. I've also seen them walk off with a disc during a tournament; you don't have to wander out in the neighborhood to whereever they put it and play it. You just mark the lie where it came to rest the first time.

Only if it was declared at rest...otherwise, it would seem that 803.07 B takes effect, yet I'm unsure on this as it only addresses interference by players. However, 803.09 D states that "if a player other than the thrower moves the disc before a determination has been made, the disc shall be considered in-bounds, and play for the thrower and the mover of the disc shall proceed under the rules of interference, 803.07 B and C," so maybe follow this except remove the penalty for player interference. I'd go with my first statement that if you saw it and declared it as "at rest" in the OB area, you'd play it as such.

you guys have got my really thinking on this one. I wonder if it makes a difference if the disc's movement is caused by a "natural" or random occurance (ie wind, a car not knowing about the disc) and other maybe less random events like another disc or a spectator.

Im confused now, wheres Mike Moser when you need him?

So if it came to rest OB and kicks it IB from the car, its OB? If its still moving OB and a car kicks it IB, its IB? What if nobody saw it come to rest OB?

No, the "in the tree" is the exception. Otherwise, when a disc comes to rest, that's where the next lie is, regardless of what else may happen to it.

I've seen a disc on a sloped green be hit by another disc and start sliding down, like croquet. You restore the disc to where it was.

I've seen non-disc-golfers pick up a disc and throw it towards the basket. The player doesn't get rewarded for that. I've also seen them walk off with a disc during a tournament; you don't have to wander out in the neighborhood to whereever they put it and play it. You just mark the lie where it came to rest the first time.
David's got it right. I believe the key words in the rules are at rest "on the playing surface", and the basket itself is considered part of the playing surface. A disc at rest on the playing surface is replaced if moved. A disc above the playing surface is fair game for the elements until the player marks it.

If you see that it comes to rest (ie completely stops), you play it from that spot. In this case it was OB because that is where it finally stopped. If a car hits it after that, you replace it where it first came to rest, again in this case 1 meter in-bounds throwing for 3 if it was the tee shot (stroke penalty).

If a car hits it while it is moving and knocks it IB where it comes to a complete stop, then it is IB.

If you can't see the lie after you throw the disc, then it is called at the point that you can the lie. If it's IB it's in and if it's OB it's out.

It all comes down to the question, has the disc completely stopped moving? If it has then it is at rest where it is. The only exception is when a disc lands in a stream and the action of the water keeps the disc moving. Then it is declared at rest at the point where it no longer moves on its own power.

If it was at rest then yes its ob. If you hit the car while it was moving and the disc was still moving then it came back in then your good and take it where it ended up.

Latest posts