• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sacramento CA, and N.O.L.A

I have done this run many times, and is a good day of golf.
1st course- EARLY round at GG (that park can get crazy crowded)
2nd- head north to Stafford for the mid day round. you'll drive right past Harvest market, great sandwiches( hole #8 has a break table & benches)
3rd- hit Napa on your way back to Sactown. it's less than 10 minutes off the freeway(37) when passing thru Vallejo.

good luck, have fun :thmbup:

NOLA guys,
Do you think it's worth it to hit up Chautaugua, Moccasin Creek, and The Rez up around Jackson?
I'm landing Monday at 1030am in NOLA and have all afternoon and night free. From my research, those look like the most appealing to me and very likely worth the 180mile trip.

Otherwise I've also considered those 3 naval base courses over by Pensacola (Blue Angel?), along with bagging a course in MS and AL just to add the states to my played list.

I'm just gonna play the NOLA city courses after work mid week.

NOLA guys,
Do you think it's worth it to hit up Chautaugua, Moccasin Creek, and The Rez up around Jackson?
I'm landing Monday at 1030am in NOLA and have all afternoon and night free. From my research, those look like the most appealing to me and very likely worth the 180mile trip.

Otherwise I've also considered those 3 naval base courses over by Pensacola (Blue Angel?), along with bagging a course in MS and AL just to add the states to my played list.

I'm just gonna play the NOLA city courses after work mid week.

Personally I think the Blue Angel courses are a cut or two above much of anything else I've played in the region. I thought Chautauqua and the Rez were both good but overrated: more in the 3-3.5 spectrum than 4+. Haven't made it to Moccasin Creek yet. Also, not a huge deal, but just the way they're situated makes it hard to hit all three courses on a single day trip from NOLA. It's doable, but not uber-convenient. Probably 30-45 minute drive between each of the three MS courses you mentioned.

Blue Angel Park is fantastic. Three quality 18s all accessible from the same parking lot. Lots of diversity in both length and levels of woodedness. There's something for everyone there. It's a bit more of a drive - about 3 and a half hours all told - but if you're looking to get the most bang for your day trip that's the way to go. Very easy to bag a course in MS and AL along the way, although time is an issue. Personally I'd play a short 9 like McLeod in MS on the way out just to maximize your time at Blue Angel, and then snag something in eastern AL on the way back.

TL;DR: Blue Angel Park is the way to go for a day trip if you don't mind the drive.

One alternative is to consider Bogue Chitto; it's an hour and a half north of here. Downsides are it's only 9 holes and there's only one other course you can hit along the way (The Pines, at Pelican Park in Mandeville), but it's a fantastic course if you like long holes in the woods. Closer than BAP and Jackson and probably better than anything you'll find at those sites on a per-hole basis, IMHO.

I'd offer to meet you for a round around here but my car is out of commission owing to my neighbor driving a U-Haul into it. :doh:

Blue Angel is was pretty awesome!!!! The Pines @ Mandeville were meh at best. Lazy Magnolia Brewery is close to McLeod park. I liked Biloxi and Shepard's state park both in MS. Also, the Mobile area isn't to shabby as well.

Yeah, I was looking at U of AL course, now I just need to find a good MS course along the way.

Shepards State Park and isn't bad and plays kind of quickly. Hiller is a bit more open and park style but could be crowded. Bull dog Bayou is not worth the stop. Also, Fairways of Fairhope is kind of on the way to Blue Angel and wasn't to bad either.

Finished up in the NOLA area last week. The tornadoes and airport closure on Monday forced my hand as we were rerouted to land in Jackson - problem solved, I got a one way rental car and played Moccasin, Rez, and Chatauqua in Jackson and just drove down to NOLA in the dark after rain had passed. As stated, Rez was mediocre, definitely not as good as it's review ratings, and Chatauqua had some really neat holes, but I was disgruntled by all the poison plants everywhere (the third course full of ivy and oak). Moccasin had like 3-4 really AWESOME holes, but overall it was a fairly "un"design with pinball holes and many tree-littered fairways that did not constitute real, or even probably, disc flights. However I liked the uniqueness, was just pissed about all the poison plants and discs kicking off trees into them. Beside the cool terrain and a few really neat holes, it was just a "chuck and pray" course. I'm gonna have to pound it's rating in my review. City Park was by far the better of the two in NOLA, LaFreniere was very lackluster.

Sacramento is coming up and I'm looking forward to it! All day in Sactown on Saturday after 10am, and heading out west all day Sunday!

Latest posts