• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] SALIENT Discs - Napalm (11|5|-1|2)

Wing looks Krait-ish

Was able to throw this along side my friends Krait and it definitely has some similarity. The feel is not quite the same but you are right on how the wings look and ratings truly are equal outside of glide. My buddies champion Krait has a little dome to it and more glide than the flatter topped napalm which also is what gives the biggest difference in feel I mentioned.

so yes, if you like seasoned wraiths or kraits-- this is a good mold to try out.

The Salient NAPALM is my favorite disc. I have a Napalm in Liquid Metal and it is my main, go-to driver. I used to be a big Star Wraith thrower, and this disc is my Wraith with better plastic and better glide.

I get an extremely tight S-curve with this disc, and it is a great forehand thrower for me. I get distances from 350-390 and it does a excellent job fighting the wind.

Salient has three discs that I cannot do without (and a few more that I wouldn't want to do without)... I won't play a round without my TOUCH putter, my Cryo Antidote, and this Napalm. I have posted prior that I don't play rounds without the Reign, but compared to these other three I could play a round without the Reign. If I were ever to have to play with just three discs, the Napalm, Antidote, and Touch would get me through a round without a problem.

Love the Touch love, I adore it. How is the antidote, I've thrown all the others or their Yikun brothers.

Here are my posts from the antidote thread-- I think their new vaccine mold is more in line with a go to workhorse mid design but for people without a FH or low power a disc like the antidote is really nice to have ITB.

Super glide and due to that it flies sneaky long. A few throws which I didn't include in the video went well into the woods. Most of those are in the 325' range and thrown with some or a lot of hyzer.

No problem. I did a quick one at the same park with a Prometheus so figured it was fitting being I finally got my hands on the antidote. One of the more fun mids I have thrown in a long time. Couple of the shots not featured went way further than I expected. A couple held huge turns into the woods super deep back there you couldn't even see the disc anymore and I left the closest call which almost hit the truck in the video but a few times flew right over that's why no shots coming at it lol. Can't believe this has snuck under the radar so much its probably one of the better true understable mids I have thrown. So many are TOO understable for players like me but really enjoyed throwing it and curious to take it out on the course. If it was beaded id say it might have a shot competing with my tangents :p

My final thoughts on testing the Napalm

Feel: Liquid plastic feels nice, not quite as good as the liquid metal, curious to see if there is a flight difference in flight. Lip is smooth, short, and easy to release on FH and BH lines.
FH Potential: extremely good STRAIGHT FH driver, easily replaces my old, and cherished, 2006 champ SLs that I lost this year :( Nearly identical flight, just a touch more fade at the end. For a straight driver, maybe a tad to stable, but that should wear in nicely over time.
BH Potential: Hyzer flip disc if you power it, should be able to throw a nice long anny, even a sky roller with some force on in.
Expectations: I wanted this to replace my SL
Results: It did everything I asked it to, even in a slight headwind, I love this disc!
Final Grade: A+

Reasoning:It's a "tweener" between an SL and a Starfire, it's a long range bombing driver, it's a straight driver. It's such an easy disc to manipulate. Will be a FH workhorse right out of the gate.

Video review to come later...

I bought the Jun in premium plastic months ago, it reminds me of the Surge-SS. I like the rim and flight but would love a grippier plastic and lighter weight. Where can I buy these? Anyone know if GGGT will get them in?

pretty sure they are in the back 2nd stock room at GGGT. I know some Salient is there .

DiscNation has them though for sure.

Whitey I thought it was funny that you liked the Liquid Metal, I actually have gotten better grip from my liquid discs and like them a bit more. Good thing they make them for both of us!

Anyone still throwing these? I love the flight path on inbounds.

A faster/further FD seems great.

But the reviews seem a bit mixed like about the glide and feel, and not much recent, can't find any video reviews/throws either. I guess there was ONE posted in 2014, but it's not up anymore :(

But damn, doesn't that flight path look awesome?! Why not more hype behind this disc?

But the reviews seem a bit mixed like about the glide and feel, and not much recent, can't find any video reviews/throws either. I guess there was ONE posted in 2014, but it's not up anymore :(

But damn, doesn't that flight path look awesome?! Why not more hype behind this disc?

I don't think they are in business anymore, went the way of Lightning, oh wait they're back, all is right again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GtwGsxemH0

I did a vid on the Yikun Jun a while back, which is the same disc with different naming.(All are made by Yikun in China)

If you want the flight path on the in bounds chart, the Phoenix Jun or Liquid Napalm is the guy you want. Not quite as stable and you can get some good turnout of it.

The dragon or liquid metal versions are a little bit more stable and slightly more like a star fire.

Overall it's a good disk I like the stamp on the Yikun version better, but that's just me.

I bagged them for about a year and it's a good disc for that slot. Compares very favorably to an Orc or Starfire. The Phoenix/liquid one is more like the longer FD.

Sorry about the video quality it was my second one and not as clean an the recent ones.

Quite simply there are similar options from companies that treat their customers better than Salient. Personally I've got enough crap that was made in China without buying discs from there, so I won't touch Yikun.

Don't believe every flight path you see on Inbounds. Inbounds does test a lot of discs, but they also get a lot of flight charts from the disc manufacturers (and some of those seem quite imaginary to me after throwing the disc). Throwing a disc 400 feet on a frozen rope like that chart in my experience generally requires putting a lot of power (with good form) into a fairway driver like a worn in Teebird or a TL. Most drivers with rims wider than about 1.9 cm are going to fade at lower speeds unless you totally overpower them or throw them very low. The low line might work with enough power, but unless the ground is very grabby, you'll probably get a skip anyway at the end. I guess what I'm saying is, don't get too enamored of the lines you see in flight charts. Sometimes the particular disc you buy in a particular plastic will do something similar for you, but often times it won't.

That one is pretty accurate if they tested a liquid plastic, if you want to see the liquid metal one look up an Orc they are pretty much the same.