• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] SALIENT Discs - Suture (9|5|-2|1)

I have to say, plastic-wise, this Suture is stellar. It's stiff but not as stiff as the flat, pearly Pinnacle Rivals. I think it'll probably soften to be perfect after a few months of use.

LiquidSuture_zpscc1c5cd0.jpg

This disc was a bit flipper than I thought it would be, maybe a little more understable than a sidewinder in my opinion. Threw it on a pretty big backhand hyzer and finished dead straight. Flipped up to a slight anny and then finished with a minimal fade. Got some really good distance, but gonna need to get this out on a bigger course too

Yeah definitely agree the HSS being -2 is apparent off the shelf. My liquid metal plastic run is super durable though as even hitting asphalt sliding for 50' there was no damage and was very surprised by that.

There definitely isn't not much fade to this disc at all and I can see it being popular with many different power levels as I love it for rollers/big turn overs but it would be a very useful straight/control driver for someone with less power. Even with a lot of hyzer though I found this disc to turn over pretty early in flight and ride that turn. IMO flies a little more like a 7 speed than a 9 speed in that sense as even a champion monarch holds up to more speed without rolling from flat. Sidewinders have some LSS when fresh generally and valks hold up to way more power.

Last edited:
Got this in the hands of some newer players yesterday with good results. They both had an issue of putting way too much hyzer on their drives and finishing way left (rhbh). Had them throwing this low and was getting some straight shots, even some that turned over a little. it may be just a bit too flippy for my bag, but I definitely see a place for it! Still need to get it to a field and see if I can get some nice long anny lines with it, then it may just stick around!

Threw this disc some more the past few days and find it to be very understable at 350'+ power--more like a -3 HSS. The word flippy gets thrown around pretty loosely here but for a speed 9 disc I would consider this to be a flippy mold even in the very durable liquid metal plastic. I noticed lower power players to get straight lines and good glide out of the disc but for me it has a little too much high speed turn to put in the bag. It actually will turn up out of a hyzer and flip over into a roller at max power for me which reminds me A LOT of the old mold latitude 64 vision. The vision was the first disc I really learned to throw rollers with and understand how to manipulate a disc's flight with different angles of hyzer/power. In regards to the overall salient line-up I find this disc to definitely be a great addition with some resemblance to a faster antidote.

Wind really impacts the flight of this disc due to the combination of good glide and negative high speed stability without any fade making it for more of a calm day driver. If you are looking for a disc which can be powered way down and fly straight or slight turn overs like a understable midrange but further on lower lines then I highly recommend checking out this disc. It also makes a great beginner driver for players who are looking for something "faster" but don't want the added fade/stability you find moving up from 6/7 to 9 speed discs.

I still need some more time with mine (red Liquid like my Napalm), but I would almost go -4 or -5. I max around 300', and I couldn't stop this thing from turning. While I'm waiting for my Icon Patriot to get to this stage, this should make a great understable complement. So much glide and so much turn.

I want to get it in a field with some decent winds howling to see how it reacts in tail and L>R cross winds (LHBH). Now I want to try one in Liquid Metal.

Last edited:
Its understable no doubt about that. To me a negative -4/-5 HSS would be nearly useless and even flip over upside down with enough power (a TRUE turnover shot :p lol) Which I have only come across like 3 discs you can do that with. One I think was called the terminator and had golf ball like dimples around the rim :\

Good to hear that yours is just as understable though in the other plastic and doesn't seem to be a big variance like there was with the backdrafts initally.

I only went that far because of the Roadrunner being rated at -4. None of the ones I've thrown turned and held it as long as the Suture does.

yeah that's where the whole ratings thing gets a little weird I suppose. If you compare it to monarch I guess its in that range too. The champion monarch I threw the other day wasn't even as understable though like you mention with roadrunners. so...

...okay -5 HHS it is :D

liquid metal plastic is gummy. Threw mine a few dozen times today in the field and it seems maybe a little slower than some other 9 speed discs I have thrown and bag but definitely easy to put out there on a straight line at lower power, long turnovers which don't come back much at all and it is very easy to roll.

Little too understable for me but I can see it being very popular with people maxing out just around 300-325' Hell of nice glide on this disc!

threw the green one around at calvary today. about 75% for me and some hyzer and it stands up nice and rides a frozen rope with great glide. 100% and it wont come back. its flips more than my gstarrr sw and that one is decently flippy to begin with. i might test out this suture tomorrow with my dx sw.

im going to try out some rollers on a more open course with this one. i actually havent flicked this thing yet surprisingly

after a few solid tree bangs no damage to the disc. also worth noting two chuckers said the disc's appearance looked cool

i would say its close to the fury. well inbetween a gstarrr sw and a opto fury.

thanks for letting me try it out aim!!!

Nice! Was great to meet you guys yesterday and holler anytime your in town' You can keep that suture just let some other people try it when you throw with them and check out the disc. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it glad to see it works for your BH game. I need to get my FH back up after seeing some of the lines you can shape with those! Now you have a good roller disc too :D

absolutely ill hit you up. same with you if you ever come up to cloud. i plan on letting people try it! i know my buddy already wants to give it a whirl. yeah thanks for the tips on starting off on learning rollers

The Suture has become one of my favorite up-hill and/or tight fairway discs. This disc will hold a straight line and does extremely well when given a low trajectory nice hard throw. It doesn't S curve much, rather it comes out and zooms- then right at the end will fade off a few feet from it's given line. I have used this disc with forehand throws to save my life while playing right placed baskets along tight right tree lines and tunnel shots.

I have always been a big fan of Millinnium Polaris discs for this similar kind of line, but the Liquid Metal plastic feels better than the Millinnium Quantam or Pro plastics to me. It's durable, and still a little tacky. Great disc from Salient.

My final thoughts on testing the Suture

Feel: Liquid plastic again, nothing to put down, disc feels good in hand for both FH and BH releases.
Flight: the -2 rating for Turn is off, for sure. I would put this more along the lines of a -3.5, even a -4. Any fade this disc might have, is lost if you put more than 75% power into it.
FH Potential: Only use I found for it was a very long sky roller, which was hit or miss on my end. I'd have to aim for about 280-310 in the air, and let the final 50-100 feet roll where it may roam. It needs a lot of area for this shot.
BH Potential: Easy beginner roller, advanced players may find this useful for technical wooded shots. Nothing that I tried worked consistent for me, it's so easy to hyzer-flip into an anny-roll. Again, very easy to learn a roller on, but nothing I'd want to bag personally.
Expectations: I expected this to be something I would use for a long anny in my FH.
Results: It's fun to throw, just to see the "action" on it, but when my score is on the line I do not want to reach anywhere near this disc. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but there are just some molds that do not work for me, this is one of them. I know Scott and Chris appreciate my input and work, and sometimes things just don't see eye to eye, this is my constructive criticism, and the biggest complaint I've had with Salient to date.
Final Grade: D+

Reasoning: The "fun factor" keeps it in the "passing" grade for me. Maybe, in the future, I can find a better use for this disc, or increase my skillset to where I could find an application for it. But right now, there are better options out there for me in the understable driver market.

Video review to come later...

after quite a few tree bangs, the rim is starting to get wavy. had a buddy try it out but he is a torque monkey and turned it right into the ground. no surprise he uses really overstable discs to mask his form bh and fh. so no help there in a review

id compare this somewhat to the fury the more and more i throw this. finesse style throw and use 75% power for clean easy D on hyzer flip.

it doesnt handle a full power throw well. cool for beginner rollers which im still learning!!