• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

salient driver

money 21

* Ace Member *
i picked up a salient prometheus (sure i spelled that wrong) driver in trade the other day it is huge and heavy. I can't throw it any father then other drivers but that probabley because of the weight. It was very stable (as in flies very straight) with a mild late fade. Where it was really doing something different was as a fh roller it realley stands up well.

It took me a few throws to get used to the feel of mine, but once I got comfortable with it I had some nice flights. Wasn't going quite as far as my seasoned 175g Quasar, but there is an 11g difference between the two and the Quasar is less overstable as well.

Funny, I thought the maximum allowed rim width was 25 mm, but apparently not so, since the Prometheus and Double D have 26 mm rims.

I thought so too. The Ninja had a 2.9cm rim, and couldn't get approved because of it.

A local shop called WYSIWYG in Manhattan , IL. had the Prometheus when I stopped in the other day. They have a large field out back and allow you to test out used discs and they have a few new demo discs.

The Prometheus' they had for sale and demo are like a Blizzard or Opto Air style plastic , and the demo unit I tried out was 168g.

I only tried a few throws with it, and never felt like I had a good launch. I typically have trouble throwing wide rimmed discs, so I knew this wouldn't be any different. That said, I could throw it much further than I can throw a Destroyer or a Groove , RHBH.

If you can handle a wide rimmed high speed disc, I would think the Prometheus might be worth looking into .

I ended up buying a used Flick 2.5 to use for RHFH drives. :oops: Prometheus is not for me at this point.

Hijacking this thread to not start a new one. Got me a Napalm 170 and in the swirly bowl of a soccer field i threw it in in fairly hard winds it did not live up to the numbers in Innovaland scale at least. Speed maybe 11 but well less than Mambas because of the taller profile and taller and blunter outer edge. The glide of 5 is probably a good way to describe it in Innova terms. The fade of 2 seems harder than that so 2.5 to 2.9. The turn is what kills it for me in these winds. I gotta pray for calm weather because you can count the days with the fingers of a failing yakuza from one hand this year. Grrrr..... :twisted: The flip was well worse than that and unpredictable in the admittedly horrible place for wind conditions that constantly change direction and speed even mid flight. So i did not get an honest read on this disc so i do not want to bash it just yet based on too tough conditions for it. But that in itself is a minus for this sea side town with challenging winds at times. Or always this year thus far. For hard plastic the tackiness is good but it is not the best in the industry among primo plastics. Very competent still although possibly a problem for me at least in cold and/or wet weather. YMMV. More to follow when i get to trow this in better conditions. So far it seems Valkish with similar distance so not really a speed 11 once the winds pick up. Maybe it is better speed wise in calm weather when the wind does not interact with the fairly sizeable frontal area vs the Mamba i threw.

Sadly it is cold, windy and raining here since winter. And now the most popular get peshed holiday is upon us. More than christmas. And it seems that Firebirds are more favorable... :evil: If they made them in as grippy and durable material as the Napalm. I bought a Mamba Starlite 158 at the same time and since it is not great in these conditions, i got a 175 Echo Star. Still no comp. Mambas fade way later and less being faster so also way longer. Different roles if you face a single hallway or tunnel. And now they are worthless despite the eStar being grippier. It could just as well slip each time even from stand still power golf reliability wise. Which is true of the Napalm as well. But the Napalm cannot beat mids by much stand still driven. Mamba has distance benefit at least. Both are so close to Valks that taste and played courses dictate which wins. Valk and Napalm for fade and not blowing by and Mamba for long stuff. Valk Star and Champ Heavy for consistency. Until i get calm weather i treat the Napalm as Salient Valk because it does not handle the wind and fades short of the long stuff. The added speed supposedly does not net added distance for the Napalm. In fact i have yet not outdriven the Valk with the Napalm thanks to the atrocious weather. 410' fluke with the S Valk line drive is a feat for me so no surprise considering the Valk once was my distance driver and when i progressed a 150 C was a nice tricky and sneaky D disc.

There was a short low wind space to throw in today before the winds picked up and the rain. The reliability shot up with calm to a couple of MPH. Stand stills to 260-270' were ok in mild winds especially rear winds. They are rather slow and moderately gliding so not too long. I did have an arm brace on and have only thrown twice with the brace and i did not notice ill effects on distance the first time. I cycled 48 miles yesterday so it may have sapped my power but i got less D this day than the previous time. 340' tops today. Kinda sad. My memory is not accurate on how far i threw the last time but it was ,ore. I was 30'+ short with the Mamba today vs the last time.

The Napalm did not flip stand still even into mild headwind to 260' tops. 300' needed about 2 degrees and 330'+ about 4-5 initially to flip to flat. Unless it was a very high throw that slows down to stall the disc short. The flight seems like the Valk basically other than i have thrown Valks well farther. But i have never cycled as much on the previous day prior to tossing Valks or used an arm brace so i cannot say what my regular Napalm D is. It should be past the 340' i got today.

Rear winds are ok and minimal headwinds too under 260' and no way it is gonna be reliable at 300' even with mild headwinds. A very distinct change in flight profile. Speed stability to the max in change of character in very moderate effective oncoming air speed. I will rather underpower a Beast for way more reliability and wind tolerance.

On a positive note the plastic is way less fussy about rain in 49F than Starlite Mamba or Echo Star naff version of Mamba. Still a good drying is needed. You just need not do it 4 or 5 times with a mediocre to poor towel whose naming might create friction so i let that undesirable piece of garbage go unnamed. Once or twice is enough with the Napalm and Innova people need to use Pro or DX to get anywhere close to this level of adverse weather grip. So i would say that the plastic is gonna be fine with any other mold that stays reliable across vaying wind conditions. Reign? Have not thrown it but the plastic is hard enough to survive trees and i foresee no rock troubles beyond what you would expect in plastic vs rock high speed collisions. The material seems fine. Still there are tackier durable plastics out there and a well tackier less durable seeming one. With that said the plastic is not a primary reason to shun Salient and if Yikun are similar their discs too in most weather conditions. A- ok, which is a really good mark. But the competition is hard with A or A with a slighter minus being out there.