• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Scoopa!
I found that when putting the bag on it was easier with no drink in the holder that ends up on your right side. I kept whacking my elbow. This could also be due to my never having used a backpack bag.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, Scoopa!
I found that when putting the bag on it was easier with no drink in the holder that ends up on your right side. I kept whacking my elbow. This could also be due to my never having used a backpack bag.
The ones I've tried all did the same thing. Never spent enough time with one to see if I got used to it. I guess you probably would after awhile.

I just got mine an hour ago and I am very impressed with size and quality. Can't wait to get out to the course on Saturday.

Just got my bag and I am very impressed!! This bag is very well built and I can already tell they are going to hold up for a very long time! I am going to compare it two the other backpack style bags that I own or previously owned, which are the large Prodiscus bag and the Ergo 2.

Storage:

The storage in this bag is great, I have 26 discs in it currently and could fit a good handful more if I wanted. The storage is comparable to the Prodiscus bag! But layer out in different ways. I didn't much care for the huge side pockets on my Prodiscus, and feel that Salient did a much better job of positioning the extra storage, however I do like dividers in my bag, which The Prodiscus bag does have, and that allows you to put as few discs as you'd like without having to worry about them shifting around. The Ergo 2 bag clearly has a lot less storage, but the vertical storage allows for a more comfortable feel and centers all of the weight to prevent shifting. The Salient bag offers a nice amount of storage without feeling bulky like the Prodiscus, but more storage than I need for most casual rounds.

Materials:

The materials used in all of these bags are very high quality! The main thing that sets the three apart in this category is the bottom. Salient, without a doubt, is the clear winner here. The rail system is great and I can see it holding up for many years with very minimal wear. The Prodiscus bag held up well with heavy use, but definitely shows it's use on the bottom, and I am least impressed with the material used on the base of the Ergo 2 (I almost didn't even realize that it was a different material than the rest of the bag.

Comfort:

The Helix bag is very comfortable for a bag of this size, and feels great when compared to the Prodiscus bag. Much less bulky and sits better on your back. However, I feel that the Prodiscus would beat the Helix in comfort when it's not completely full, because the dividers allow you to prevent discs from shifting in the main storage compartment. The Ergo 2 is the clear winner in this category though. The vertical storage and smaller size make the Ergo 2 feel almost weightless on your back which was very impressive my first round playing with it.

Features:

All of these bags have some great features. The cup holders and side storage pockets are great on both the Helix and the Prodiscus, not so much on the Ergo 2. The handle on top of the bag is another feature that I really like on the Helix and Prodiscus, but not the Ergo 2. The rainflys are another story. The Ergo 2 has the best rainfly in my opinion. It allows quick install and removal, as well as easy access to your discs with the rainfly attached. The Prodiscus rainfly comes in second because it is easily accessible and partially attached to the bag from the start. Unfortunately the Helix rainfly has only snaps, which isn't that big of a deal, but does not match the quality of the other 2 bags. The straps and padding on all of the bags are solid. I would say that the Ergo 2 is the best in this category with the exception of the top handle which is surprisingly awful. The Helix and Prodiscus are very comparable on straps and padding, and definitely should hold up very well.

I hope that this review is helpful for anybody interested in one of these bags, and I may talk about it more once I get a chance to get it on the course!!

I can agree dividers would be an awesome add-on. I currently have an innova u-channel in mine so that I can carry fewer discs. On short courses I don't need a ton of discs but I still like carrying the bag.

If Salient would make an insert that would fit the bag better than the u-channel I'd be all over it.

saw this at glide today holy smokes its huge! not saying that is bad but the size threw me off. it is build very very well. hats off to salient this is a great offering.

With such positive reviews on this bag the new Catalyst, renamed Ember, should be pretty nice as well. Same materials and manufacturer just a smaller version of the Helix. Thought Catalyst was an awesome name, kinda bummed they changed it to Ember.

I received mine today and was very impressed. Not much to comment on yet without any use but it holds discs well without any issues getting them out and plenty of storage for all sorts of stuff. I have 6 putters, 5 mids, and 16 drivers in there at a max and wouldn't really even carry that many but they fit with room for more.

The black and grey is really nice looking for sure.

Took mine out today, very solid and comfortable. Lots of room for clothes, drinks, food, tags, food, keys, sinks, vacuums, and a spare tire.

I love the top pocket and how it holds the putter for a he-man putter quick draw. The middle pocket holds the most used discs so well and I had four up there for quick access, loved it. Also the top pocket holds a water bladder well and the hose threads right through the straps well.

The comfort on my back was spot on. I think this bag would be great for taller people as it is vertical and wide but not over doing it. I love it so far!

Saw MJ rocking this thing on the Worlds coverage. It looks big enough for MJ himself to climb into it lol

Great looking bag :thmbup:

Thanks everyone for the positive input. We were happy with how the bag came out and are glad the customers are enjoying the Helix.

I also got mine tonight. I currently carry an Ergo 1 with way too many discs because I attach it to a pull cart. I could probably fit a light jacket in the big compartment, but otherwise it's packed full. I've used it to compare the Helix.

Next to one another
3b578eb3-53f1-4986-905e-40edfa00a347_zpsc185b621.jpg

Everything in the Ergo currently
8be165ce-00b6-4084-99c9-276afd21f14c_zpsd7d132da.jpg

Another view (6 putters, 6 mids, 13 drivers)
3d7ab9f2-6a21-480a-b5ad-391b9f6706f1_zpsbf79b882.jpg

All of it in the Helix's main compartment (things are snug)
4106ad13-1bb6-4545-895e-ae0834fa09b5_zps12115c5f.jpg

Added another mid and putter and used some of the GGI(Go-Get-It) pocket. There's still room for a couple drivers.
90494511-57f2-4fc5-b904-5a7fc79942e7_zps19961fb0.jpg

With a driver in the main flap pocket. The GGI is closed but has the same three putters from the above picture.
c72b21e1-39de-47cc-98f9-ef9aa07ce0b2_zpsed7c753e.jpg

Handles 32oz Gatorade and Nalgene bottles easily
937119ad-99f2-4831-8d37-e861070b8f34_zpsb6009349.jpg

All told, there's 28 in the bag with room for a couple more. There's 64oz of liquids. The side pockets could still both fit a thick hoodie. I also don't have anything in the top felt pocket.

Last edited:
Just got done playing my first round with the new bag! It was very comfortable and I love the way it sits on the ground with the rails, very sturdy design. My Ergo 2 likes to tip over sometimes and my Prodiscus often did as we'll. It has very nice easy access which I like a lot. The Ergo 2 can be annoying to get discs in and out of. Again, I am very pleased with my new bag!!!

With such positive reviews on this bag the new Catalyst, renamed Ember, should be pretty nice as well. Same materials and manufacturer just a smaller version of the Helix. Thought Catalyst was an awesome name, kinda bummed they changed it to Ember.

The name change we feel is appropriate. The Ember will be our mid size option and with the total revamp from the Catalyst it's night and day. Look for Ember to be the only 1000d Cordura bag that can fit 17-20 discs and feature the same rails on the bottom for protection as well as a rain fly for under $150 shipped.

That and the new Spark will make owning an affordable disc golf specific backpack a reality for everyone no matter the budget.

Okay I made a frame that would hold 10 - 12 discs upright. It cost me nothing but time, and is made from the parts of an old cat toy.

It comes in and out easily, so when I need a lot of discs for field work, tourney, or a new course I can. The tubing is very light-weight and is less than 1/4 a pound(or about 1 disc).