• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Diego

G-MIL

Birdie Member
I'll be in San Diego from April 13-18 and I planned on playing Morley Field for sure and I just wondered if there's any other courses worth playing within a 30 minute drive? My little brother is graduating Marines boot camp and I'll be there with family that's why I can't get too far from San Diego.

Emerald isles in Oceanside in North County SD. Also a new course will be open by then 15 mins from that one in Escondido. Call ahead of time for Emerald Isles cause it's on a ball golf course and there's certain times where discing is allowed.

Sun valley isn't bad. Pay to play on a 9 hole PW ball golf course. I think it's about. $5 and there is HUGE elevation involved. I played it many times and had a blast.

Time

Emerald isles in Oceanside in North County SD. Also a new course will be open by then 15 mins from that one in Escondido. Call ahead of time for Emerald Isles cause it's on a ball golf course and there's certain times where discing is allowed.

if I remember correctly DG'ers can't play before 4pm.

emerald isle course is going bye-bye. call to see if they will have a course available to play when you are there. :(

There's a decent 9-holer with elevation in San Marcos, Montiel Park, where it's usually quiet. It's like 30 minutes from Camp Pendleton.

Make sure you allow yourself enough time to play Morley, rounds there can take much longer than at most places, so dont' expect to breeze through 19 holes

A lot of congestion?
Supposedly the most in the entire world. After 9am expect to wait a minimum of 10 minutes on every hole. After 11am until 2 hours before dusk expect to wait an average of 15-20 minutes per hole. The thing is, the course is great - you should not miss it. But everyone else knows it too.

I was playing at Eldo Today and a guy played through our group (of 12) and he mentioned he was from S.D. I joked with him "So, you're used to playing behind groups of 10 then...".

So does anybody know what happened at Emerald Island? From what I heard the Home Owners Association actually owns the land that the golf course is on, and the HOA basically pulled the plug on the course during lease negotiations with the golf course operators. Is that basically it?

At any rate, it's a sad day for anybody who likes the Fly 18 idea.

So does anybody know what happened at Emerald Island? From what I heard the Home Owners Association actually owns the land that the golf course is on, and the HOA basically pulled the plug on the course during lease negotiations with the golf course operators. Is that basically it?

At any rate, it's a sad day for anybody who likes the Fly 18 idea.

Yeah that's exactly what they said at the EIEIO final tournament last week :thmbdown:

Quick revival of this thread, I originally asked about the courses around San Diego but I was wondering if there are any must eat restaurants I should hit up while in San Diego?

La Puerta.
Surf and Turf Burrito.
Downtown San Diego, in the gaslamp.

OMG.

pipes off birmingham in cardiff by the sea has about the best burgers ive ever savored. hit it early...closes at 4:00 i think and its usually pretty crowded.