• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SaROCaM's Bag

Thanks a lot for your description of the DX Teebird. It matches what I read elsewhere. Thus it seems to be worthwhile to get me such a DX Teebird. :)

There's another thing I'm wondering as I read the suggestions from others for your bag: Why would someone who bags a bunch of Rocs add a Comet?

For sure, the Comet is a great disc -- in fact, it is my most loved disc -- but adding a great disc does not necessarily improve a good bag. As you carry a bunch of Rocs and some are worn in, I think that they cover the Comet lines already. (I do have a beat DX Roc, which flies almost the same as my Comet.) In my oppinion adding a Comet would not improve your bag but rather decrease the simplicity it currently has.

On the other hand, I've read several times that Rocs and Comets match well. They clearly feel similar in the hand, but I always regarded their combination as consisting of a newish Roc with fade and a Comet without fade. As soon as you cycle Rocs, I see no more need for the Comet.

How do you and others see the situation? (You have not bagged the Comet; why not?)

I think the Comet suggestions were recommendations for a disc that would be good for form work, though bagging a Comet is always a good suggestion.

The reason I don't have a Comet in my main bag is because I have worn in Rocs that cover what I'd use a Comet for, much as you described. If for some reason I lost my worn in Rocs and all my backups, then I'd bag a Comet until I can wear in some more Rocs to that spot.

In post #17 of this thread, I list some other bags/discs that I have assembled. The Discraft bag has a Comet. If I needed to, I would use this Comet until I have a straight/turnover Roc again.

Alternatively I could use the Leopard3 that I bag, though it would have to be powered down or thrown on a lower line.

Last edited:
The reason I don't have a Comet in my main bag is because I have worn in Rocs that cover what I'd use a Comet for, much as you described. If for some reason I lost my worn in Rocs and all my backups, then I'd bag a Comet until I can wear in some more Rocs to that spot.

Thanks a lot. That makes sense to me.

During my reading through old threads I came across this bag evolution thread that deals with the Rocs/Comets question all the way through:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29479

Quoted from there:
But I've liked throwing Rocs for a long time, they've just always stuck. [...] The Comet is where I'm looking to make a decision, just Rocs or have some Comets. If so, how many of each.

Been playing in tournaments with the following setup:

3 Classic Aviars

5 DX Rocs
1 Champ Roc

1 Champ Leopard3
2 Champ Teebirds
2 Champ Firebirds
2 Champ Thunderbirds

Visited family and friends in Ohio and got a few rounds in. Here's what I brought in my carry-on backpack:

4 Classic Aviars
4 DX Rocs
1 DX Leopard
1 DX Teebird
1 Champ Teebird
1 Pro Thunderbird
2 Champ Thunderbirds
1 Champ Firebird
1 Pro Destroyer
1 Star Destroyer

Played one of the rounds with some family members, each of whom borrowed an Aviar, a Roc, and a driver of their choice (they went with the slower fairways.)

Pro Thunderbird is in huge glide mode. Currently max out at 360' and it was getting good distance (for me) even when I felt like I didn't hit it right.

I really like the bag. I'm gonna get one myself. The only thing I see missing is a over stable mid. I've heard good things about a Innova Gator. It would complete your bag as it's the only thing I see missing.

I really like the bag. I'm gonna get one myself. The only thing I see missing is a over stable mid. I've heard good things about a Innova Gator. It would complete your bag as it's the only thing I see missing.

Usually I have a USDGC Roc as my OS mid. I have thought about trying out a Gator, but haven't felt the need for one yet. I did play in a tournament recently with winds around 18-19 mph, and the Champ Roc and Firebird did a lot of work.

I'd have to learn more about when a Gator would be more useful (I just think of it as a windy conditions utility disc) but it seems to be a Champ Roc with less glide. Gonna go learn about it.

Current bag:

4 Classic Aviars (2 for putting only, 1 fresh thrower, 1 beat thrower)
5 Rocs (1 Champ, 4 DX)
1 Champ Leopard3
1 C-FD (This used to be a beat up laser straight Teebird, but I'm trying out the FD)
1 Champ Teebird
2 Champ Firebirds (1 is more of a backup)
2 Champ Thunderbirds (1 is more of a backup)
1 Pro Thunderbird (long slow turning glider)
3 Star Destroyers
1 Pro Destroyer (beat)

I used to cap out with Thunderbirds, but after trying various faster drivers I can see what I've been missing. Also hit 350' with a Teebird so I felt like it was time to "unlock" the faster speed stuff. Have tried the following in addition to Destroyers: Wraiths, Terns, Shrykes, D1s, Defenders, Trespasses, Outlaws, Kings, Destinies, Swords, Giants, Flows. Thought about bagging 1 Giant, 1 Sword, 1 Trespass, 1 King but decided to go with the variation of Destroyers. Instead of going through stacks of multiple driver molds I could just go through stacks of one mold. Another bonus is they are far more available in brick & mortar stores to pick through and compare PLH, dome, feel, etc. Also it wasn't like the other discs were all that consistent either; I experienced a good amount of variation with everything except for Swords, which were remarkably consistent. They (Destroyers) really are all over the place but it is fun learning them; kind of like learning Rocs.

Speaking of Rocs, today I spent about an hour throwing Rocs and discovered I can get a clean forehand with them (just gotta get it more consistent and eventually push the distance.) Also birdied a hole with a Roc that I had never birdied before (with anything,) so that felt like a nice reward for putting in some Roc time.

I'm throwing about 50/50 BH/FH at this point, and I would like to be able to FH every disc in my bag. The most challenging is the Classic Aviar. I have had success using it for FH touch shots, approaches, and especially FH anhyzers when stuck behind a tree. Still, I wouldn't feel confident using it for an all-FH putter round. If I were to add another disc to my bag, it would be a putter that is easier to FH. Zone, Harp, anything else to try? I know there are lots of threads out there to search through.

Starters:
4 Classic Aviars
1 Champ AviarX3
5 Rocs (1 Champ, 4 DX)
1 Champ Leopard3
2 Champ Teebirds
2 Champ Firebirds
2 Champ Thunderbirds
4 Destroyers (3 Star, 1 Pro)

On the bench:
P2s
FDs
Pro Thunderbirds

I'm throwing about 50/50 BH/FH at this point, and I would like to be able to FH every disc in my bag. The most challenging is the Classic Aviar. I have had success using it for FH touch shots, approaches, and especially FH anhyzers when stuck behind a tree. Still, I wouldn't feel confident using it for an all-FH putter round. If I were to add another disc to my bag, it would be a putter that is easier to FH. Zone, Harp, anything else to try? I know there are lots of threads out there to search through.

There's your Gator slot. I've always thought they were more putter than mid. One of the better players back when I first got started playing disc golf actually did use Gators for his putters- very effectively.

At least for me, Gators are substantially better for forehand approaches than the more popular Zone and Harp. And they're still slow enough to work just as well as a Zone or Harp for my relatively weaker backhand.

Edit: noticed that post was a year old- Dis you settle with the AX3 for that? Working well for you? If you're not totally satisfied, a Gator might still surprise you.

How'd that FD compare to the Leo3? Notice any real differences?

Last edited:
There's your Gator slot. I've always thought they were more putter than mid. One of the better players back when I first got started playing disc golf actually did use Gators for his putters- very effectively.

At least for me, Gators are substantially better for forehand approaches than the more popular Zone and Harp. And they're still slow enough to work just as well as a Zone or Harp for my relatively weaker backhand.

Edit: noticed that post was a year old- Dis you settle with the AX3 for that? Working well for you? If you're not totally satisfied, a Gator might still surprise you.

How'd that FD compare to the Leo3? Notice any real differences?

Yup, AX3 is filling the role. Have them in Star, Champ, and DX. I like them all, with the Champ as my preferred plastic so I'm bagging that. Also got better with the Classic Aviar and P2 for FH, but not yet as consistent as I'd like to be.

The FD was great, actually closer to my old Teebird than it was to the Leo3. Currently working on throwing more Teebirds until they get to the same stability as my old trusty one. FD is kind of serving as a backup/on standby for now, but I liked how it held various lines/angles and was effective both BH and FH. If I were playing in a tournament and/or on certain courses I'd put one in the bag; same with a P2 and a Pro Thunderbird.

Interesting. I've only thrown a couple FD's and a couple Leo3's, but for me, the two Leo3's were both more turn resistant on forehands than the FD.

Interesting. I've only thrown a couple FD's and a couple Leo3's, but for me, the two Leo3's were both more turn resistant on forehands than the FD.

Not sure about all the variations between different runs of FDs. I've heard about the almost mythical second run, and some mentions here and there of other runs. I have 4 C-FDs and have no idea what run they are, just that they are somewhat domey, relatively firm, and are stable and fairly versatile. I have 6 Champ Leo3s and they like to turn/flip more than my FDs. Seems like the Leo3s are more of "let the disc do the work" while the FDs are pick a line/angle and have it hold.

Took home the #1 tag in one of my groups using the following:

2 Classic Aviars
1 Firefly
3 DX Rocs
1 Champ Leopard3
2 Champ Teebirds
Champ Firebird
2 Champ Thunderbirds
3 Star Destroyers

Current Full Bag:
3 Classic Aviars
1 Firefly
1 Champ AviarX3
5 Rocs (1 Champ, 4 DX)
1 Champ Leopard3
2 Champ Teebirds
2 Champ Firebirds
2 Champ Thunderbirds
1 Star Roadrunner
4 Destroyers (3 Star, 1 Pro)

Had a Roadrunner a while back, but it simply didn't click with me. Got a new one and it has been a better fit.

Firefly has been very interesting. Grippy, fairly firm, very slight puddle top, good feel for FH and BH. Makes me think of a P2 combined with a little bit of Yeti Aviar with how it feels and how straight it flies. Been throwing it for putter rounds instead of my usual D/P-line P2s.

First tried the AviarX3 in Star and liked how it flew but had issues with how it felt in hand. Champ and DX versions of this disc feel much more comfortable to me.

3 Classic Aviars: 2 for putting, 1 beat one for longer putts, layups, turnover putter throws

1 Firefly: straight BH/FH throwing putter

1 Champ AviarX3: more stability

5 Rocs (1 Champ, 4 DX): Roc cycle

1 Champ Leopard3: straight to turnover

2 Champ Teebirds: mini cycle

2 Champ Firebirds: 1 flat FB that falls like a brick, 1 FB with a touch of dome that glides a little

2 Champ Thunderbirds: mini cycle running parallel to Teebirds

1 Star Roadrunner: Barsby RR, more of a true RR than my old stock Star RR

4 Destroyers (3 Star, 1 Pro): cycle with a Pro for an easier to replace bookend

1 Star Shryke: fun for long wide open fairways

Barsby RR is a lot of fun to throw. Had a really nice throw the other day: hyzerflip through a tunnel of trees, turned a little more and ended up just about 15 feet long, about 375 feet or so if the tee sign was accurate.

3 Classic Aviars
1 Nexus Firefly
1 Champ AviarX3
5 Rocs (1 Champ, 4 DX)
1 Champ Leopard3
2 Champ Teebirds
2 Champ Firebirds
2 Champ Thunderbirds
1 Star Roadrunner
2 Star Wraiths
3 Star Destroyers

Trying Wraiths again; been a few years since I regularly had a Wraith in the bag.

Decided to pack light for a round with 3 discs and a towel:

Nexus Firefly
Star Roadrunner
Star Wraith

Ended up 5 throws worse than expected. Still fun, especially throwing some smooth, long hyzerflips, but scoring-wise I probably should have gone with:

Classic Aviar
Roc
Teebird

Expanded to 5 discs and a towel:

Classic Aviar
Nexus Firefly
DX Roc
Champ Teebird
Star Roadrunner

No complaints with the discs; for the most part they flew as expected. The course/conditions didn't call for much more, but I could see myself missing a Firebird and a Wraith.