• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

saturation time warm water mix

troyrugg

Never reallly got this answered on my last post. What is the average time for warm idye poly mixed with water to reachfull color density on both pfo type and champ plastics and their eqivilants. Starting with stencil dips. Any ideas or close times appreciated... not guesses or times w acetone mix. Have already water mixed. Thanks

... not guesses or times w acetone mix. Have already water mixed. Thanks

Too many variables to be able to tell you exactly how long until max color. How warm are you keeping it? What concentration is the dye? Etc.

If you're sticking to champ/pro I'd leave it in for at least 24 hours.

Really, nothing bad can happen from just trying without knowing. Unlike other dyes, where once you take it out its out, with a dip you can just keep checking till you are satisfied and then you'll have your answer.

Well im trying to set my own points like in previous post. If at say 100° I get total saturation at say 3 hrs. I can create shade of whatver color at set intervals allowing for several 10-20 shades of the fully saturated base color. My background is print and desigh sso I may be overthing this. But hoping I can get some baseline guesses. If takes 24 hrs then id do expisures of 1 hr eas. But if 2 hrs ill expose new sections ever 10 minutets. Guess once I get all my oen standard ill post in hopes of helping ither overthinkers

i think you're just gonna have to work this out yourself.

and then get back to us asap with you're specific results. :D

Yes I will share.... not worth the time and effort not too!. Am excited and have to keep reassuring gf that time, effort and investment will pay off sooner than later once I get numbers/times down allowing for some complex dips

Even with the same type of plastic, times can vary. Dye can take to plastic instantly, and if you're doing multiple shades, this is something you'll just have to get a feel for. Dip and check. Early and often.

If you're doing multiple shades, you may want to work with room temp mixtures for more control.

Hope that helps. Post up your work and findings!

Peace,
-Jeff

I would love to tell you there is a hard and fast rule. But there just isn't. It is different with each color and each plastic. I have dripped cold red dye on white star and had it take color instantly. I've left black on champ plastic with heat for over an hour and never had it look as dark as I wanted it. (Basically with the champ it's because the plastic is clear. You can't turn it opaque so it never looks as dark black as you would really like.) That being said most of my dyes are done with the water and heat method and I have never really had a dye in the water for longer than 30 minutes to get fully saturated color. Often no more than 10-15 minutes. Champ takes longer than star by about double. If you are going for a specific shade your best bet is to pull it from the heat often and check to see if it's the shade you want.

Thanks this helps! I am making templates so I kno what temp eaxh color has been exposed.and knowing the general close time I can figures each.blocks time. These blocks will be marked so I can then reproduce that shade or close to it. Pics when done

Latest posts