• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

scale

where can you pick up a cheap scale to weigh discs?

I got my scale years ago for weighing bike parts at Office Depot. It was $30 if I remember correctly. Works great for weighing discs, too.

Edit: I just clicked that link, I guess I paid too much for mine.

My dog's phenobarbitol, an anti-seizure medicine, is marked on the label as half-grain pills, so pharmacies still use the unit.

I wonder if making a sub-160g disc requires a smaller diameter, and therefore a different mold. Maybe 160g is the lower limit to how light they can make a full-sized disc before it starts getting too thin and floppy for quality control.

first off, I had never heard of grains before, and now I seem to be seeing them everywhere. :doh:

and the mold of the discs don't change between weights. They have additives that they add to the plastics that add weight, so by adding more or less or a different additive they can change the wieght without changing the shape. At least that has been my understanding of it.

Could we get more prices on the suggestions. Though I've wanted a scale, the only ones I've really seen are exspensive

To answer questions about "same mold / different weights", I can offer some expertise. I would offer other engineers with molding backgrounds to chime in.

Different resins / resin mixtures will exhibit different specific gravities. That's why some plastics are inherently heavier / lighter than other plastics when coming from the same mold. Generally, Polypropylenes and Polyethylenes are a bit lighter than water (1.0 S.G.), so that's why they'll float. Other resins, such as ABS, Nylon, etc., are "heavier". To my knowledge, DX, Star, Champ, X, Z, ESP, etc., are all specific blends or alloys. That's proprietary info., and I doubt you'll ever find these available for sale as raw material.

Furthermore, once a specific resin is chosen to run in a mold, you can tweak the packing pressures while running these things to change the weight of the disc slightly. I would imagine a range of maybe 10 to 15 grams max. however. In order to get down to the 150 gram class though, we're probably either talking about a different mold, or a specific resin. I don't think you can tweak the molding process when using the same material, in order to get 175 gram discs, along with 150 gram discs.

I could be wrong however.

I picked up one of those when they were on sale for $7.50.

So far it works really well. The only issue you'll have for weighing discs is that the scale is too small to weigh a disc and still see the reading on the scale. But that's easily fixed by using a small cup (or similar item) to place on the scale to elevate the disc. Tare out the scale with the cup and then weigh the disc.

where can you pick up a cheap scale to weigh discs?
Your child's 6th grade science class ;) That's where I got mine...I just saw someone already said something like this.

BTW no disc golf baskets or discs are allowed in medium or high security prisons. (I was the recreational director at a prison.

Now back to my question. Why don't they make disc in the 150-160 g category?

They do. Albeit not that many but if you look enough you can find them. My Champ Viking is 157. I've had another at about the same weight too. Inova is pretty good about making 150 to 165 stuff. Granted you'll find lighter stuff mostly in drivers but it can be found. I've had the best luck looking on line.

OK Thanks. Yeah, I guess in the back of my mind somewhere I remember about bullets being measured in grains.

Whoever would have thought that a disc golf site could be so educational?

Grams = g

Grains = gr

Now back to my question. Why don't they make disc in the 150-160 g category?

i got a r-pro boss in a 155 gram

Latest posts