• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Schusterick’s New Venture

I think this is a great idea for new players. I can't tell you how many hours I have spent on YouTube to improve my form. Which to some new players maybe a turn off from the sport.

I did purchase this video and I'll agree that it's not great for people who have already tried to improve their own form. However I think it would benefit a newer player. I really want to see his other ones too because I may pickup some new information and I'll be supporting a player that I enjoy watching.

Yea, when I was getting serious about DG back in the day I would just go on youtube and specifically look up videos of Will playing because he does have damn near perfect form.

Maybe....
Will going alone is his biggest hurdle. I throw bent arm/ sweedish hybrid, so I need someone that can address these styles, not just a full reachback style. With multiple instructors, I would be more likely to give my money to discmania.
On the otherhand, AJ does not have a good throwing form at all.

As for hurting Wills enterprise, there is a reason CVS and Walgreens are always across the road from one another. Both stores gain sales when they are together. I wonder if this could have the same effect

Maybe....
Will going alone is his biggest hurdle. I throw bent arm/ sweedish hybrid, so I need someone that can address these styles, not just a full reachback style. With multiple instructors, I would be more likely to give my money to discmania.
On the otherhand, AJ does not have a good throwing form at all.

As for hurting Wills enterprise, there is a reason CVS and Walgreens are always across the road from one another. Both stores gain sales when they are together. I wonder if this could have the same effect

I don't think Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition applies here. They aren't physically located together. To be metaphorically at the same location, the marketing arm of the businesses would need to take equal amounts of space on the internet. I doubt this will happen.

I feel phantom pains in my elbow and shoulder almost everytime I watch him drive.
Yet Will S feels real pains in shoulder when he throws and is using his current modified form due to his injured shoulder as a model of technique and only 25 years old. It would not surprise me if his own advice of "keeping the head down" is what has lead to his shoulder injury because it restricts the body from following through.

Avery will be 40 years old this year and has no major injury history and considering how many distance contests he has thrown over the years and won, that's a pretty good track record. I've never heard Avery talk about the nonsense of "keeping the head down", but has advocated to throwing with "upright posture" and "keeping the chin up"(and David Wiggins Jr as well).

Yet Will S feels real pains in shoulder when he throws and is using his current modified form due to his injured shoulder as a model of technique and only 25 years old. It would not surprise me if his own advice of "keeping the head down" is what has lead to his shoulder injury because it restricts the body from following through.

Avery will be 40 years old this year and has no major injury history and considering how many distance contests he has thrown over the years and won, that's a pretty good track record. I've never heard Avery talk about the nonsense of "keeping the head down", but has advocated to throwing with "upright posture" and "keeping the chin up"(and David Wiggins Jr as well).

This is based on my own old injuries and my study of body mechanics afterwards, but I think his injury has less to do with throwing and more with putting. It doesnt take much force to cause shoulder issues.

Neck forward and sholder out is why office workers end up having carpel tunnel....and that's with out any force applied.

Will has the one of the best forms for a full reachback, but I will give Avery the better forehand and putting form.

Avery has had elbow issues, if I remember correctly, and I do suspect that is due to his throwing form.

If there are any DC's in the house, I would like to hear a medical opinion on this. I am not a doctor so this is just a lay persons opinion.

I don't do a full reachback, so Will's instruction doesn't intrest me much.

Last edited:
All of this is already available for FREE. You will not find the magical piece of advice you are looking for by paying a fee. The same advise is available by many other pros for FREE. Get FREE advise and practice your a?? off! What else could anyone need?

This is based on my own old injuries and my study of body mechanics afterwards, but I think his injury has less to do with throwing and more with putting. It doesnt take much force to cause shoulder issues.

Neck forward and sholder out is why office workers end up having carpel tunnel....and that's with out any force applied.

Will has the one of the best forms for a full reachback, but I will give Avery the better forehand and putting form.

Avery has had elbow issues, if I remember correctly, and I do suspect that is due to his throwing form.

If there are any DC's in the house, I would like to hear a medical opinion on this. I am not a doctor so this is just a lay persons opinion.

I don't do a full reachback, so Will's instruction doesn't intrest me much.

According to Will, he has an impinged shoulder, not carpal tunnel. His putting form may have caused his injury or maybe it was FH, or maybe everything all combined.

Repetitive Stress Injury to the elbow like Avery's issue are typically not caused by the elbow itself, but caused by the wrist/grip/tightened forearm muscles. If you squeeze a disc enough in your hand, then your elbow is going to hurt eventually.

I might agree Will had one of the best BH driving forms before this injury, but his form has drastically changed in the last two years and IMO is not very good right now.

IMO more upright posture like Avery and Ken Jarvis is ideal BH form for minimizing the inherent repetitive stresses on the entire body involved with throwing by allowing the body to rotate more balanced, efficient, quicker, and fluid all the way start to finish.

The members only clinic is up and they've redesigned the site a bit. The clinic is decent. Good audio from Will, audience questions have captions if they're unclear etc. The content is fairly similar to his other clinics on youtube, though.

Also, the series of one thing has been clarified. From the FAQ:
Is the beginner series one video?
The Beginner Series is one video, yes. But with purchasing the Beginner Series you will have access to all BONUS videos that release throughout the year along with some personal videos from Will Schusterick throughout the tour season! We've also made it easier on you, and broken up the video into several smaller sections for greater accessibility!

All of this is already available for FREE. You will not find the magical piece of advice you are looking for by paying a fee. The same advise is available by many other pros for FREE. Get FREE advise and practice your a?? off! What else could anyone need?
Yes, but we live in a consumerist society where by adulthood, a lot of sheeple have a perception that something they have to pay for is of better quality than something that is free, and the more they have to pay, the more satisfied they will be with their purchase.

Yes, but we live in a consumerist society where by adulthood, a lot of sheeple have a perception that something they have to pay for is of better quality than something that is free, and the more they have to pay, the more satisfied they will be with their purchase.

But in many cases, free versions of things actually are significantly worse. Why pay for Photoshop when Gimp is free!?!? Oh yeah, because Gimp sucks.

In this case? I don't know. The content is likely no better, but I would bet the production quality is way better than most all free videos.

In this case? I don't know. The content is likely no better, but I would bet the production quality is way better than most all free videos.

The content is better than in most free videos, despite some things I'd quibble with. The production is much better than in free videos.

And the cost is low. Ain't nobody paying a premium for the material, so comments about consumerist society and sheeple and such are just silly.

Ball golf has a gorillion books, training aids, and videos. It is only natural that disc golf will see more of these items hit the marketplace as the sport continues to grow.

Of course, you and I have the power to choose to purchase or not, and that will be Will's future. But I would wager there will be others.

And the free argument doesn't hold water, as nothing is free. Someone gave up their time and hard work to make those videos, and those who watch give up our time to view them. All those clicks have value in the current year - some make some money, others open doors to new opportunities, etc.

More recently Christian Sandstrom had some online dg training university thing that seemed to be the real deal, but that website has error 404'd, not sure if it actually ever launched with product.
Found some evidence of it, apparently Sandstrom was the OG DGI or Disc Golf Institute. Will might want to pay attention to Christian here about shoulder injury being related to the calf, since he is pushing off the heel instead of the instep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAOJW8NGrw#t=7m19s

Found some evidence of it, apparently Sandstrom was the OG DGI or Disc Golf Institute. Will might want to pay attention to Christian here about shoulder injury being related to the calf, since he is pushing off the heel instead of the instep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAOJW8NGrw#t=7m19s

Too bad DGI does not appear to still be active - as far as I can tell anyway - seems like Christian would be a great teacher. I subscribed to the YouTube channel in hopes that it'll inspire him to keep going ;)