• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Score Tallying

19 posts discussing how to add twos, threes, fours, and fives????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The hardest part is usually trying to decipher someone else's poor penmanship -- is that a 2 or a 3? :confused:

The hardest part is usually trying to decipher someone else's poor penmanship -- is that a 2 or a 3? :confused:

Not to mention those evening league rounds that end at dusk, it is hard just reading the scorecard in the waning light. :D

Couple of years ago I was tallying up the scores at the end of a round in a PDGA tournament and had the following exchange:

Me: par, birdie, par ...
Guy: Whoa, that's a birdie. I got a 3 on a par 4.
Me: Sure, but when I'm adding them up I just consider everything a 3 and do the score relative to 54.
Guy: But it's not a par 54 course. There are par 4s out there.
Me: I know, but the math works the same.
Guy: I don't think it does.
Me: Here, let me add it up my way. [par, birdie, par, bogey, etc etc] 4 over, that's a 58. Course par is 61 so you're 3 under.
Guy: What the hell was all that? Let me add it up my way. [par on par 3, birdie on par 3 that's 1 down, birdie on par 4 that's 2 down, par on par 4 still at 2 down, etc] Looks like I finished 3 under par, par is 61, so I scored a 58. Hmm, looks like it worked out in this case, but I don't think you can say your method would work every time.
Me: Sure, fine, whatever, lemme turn the card in.

Pro TD tip: Never print the hole pars on tournament scorecards or suffer scoring errors and exchanges like ToddL's above. Just have course notes and hole pars on a separate sheet or caddie book.

Pro TD tip: Never print the hole pars on tournament scorecards or suffer scoring errors and exchanges like ToddL's above. Just have course notes and hole pars on a separate sheet or caddie book.

This, I always cringe when someone says they got a "par" or "birdie" rather than just saying the actual number.

Or just say the numerical score out loud and not bogie double bogey when tallying some can be sensitive hearing they got a double bogey when technically player got a 5 on a par 4.

There's a local course here in ct that has a 180ft "par 2" on the tee sign. In that case it's fun to call out people that got a bogey 3.

The exception being an "ace" -- it would sound weird hearing someone say they got a "1"!

Oh come on, who doesn't like stepping on to the next tee and asking the group "any other ones?" as if someone else might have claim to tee first on the hole. :)

As for not printing pars on the scorecard, if that is done, how does the group score a late player? They have to dig through the caddy book or course guide to find the par, then assign a score? Seems silly.

If people struggle with math, that's on them. It isn't difficult to ignore the listed pars if one adds things up with a shortcut method such as counting based on all 3s or something similar.

As for not printing pars on the scorecard, if that is done, how does the group score a late player?
Any time I've dealt with a late player, I've always just told the scorekeeper to put a dot on their box for each hole missed, then check the par situation at tourney central later. If they don't show up at all, well, whatever their score would have been is irrelevant.

Some players just assume a late hole means a '7', not Par +4.

I was Course Director for the Majestic at Blue Ribbon Pines with 27 holes in play, including some legit par 4s. Several players came up after the round to ask what par was. I just said "3 times 27 is 81". No score adding errors that day.

19 posts discussing how to add twos, threes, fours, and fives????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

lol that's what I'm saying! I come from a ball golf background and just don't get it...why can't you just quickly add up your total score and compare that to par for the course?

Assuming that every hole is a par 3 and every course is a par 54 is dangerous and will lead to incorrect scores using the +/- 3 method discussed above.

^^^This or start with 54 and anytime you have a # other than 3 add or subtract appropriately such as -1 for a 2, + 1 for 4, etc.

E.g.,

So by your method, if the card reads [3,3,4,2,5,2,3,4,3] then the total score is 56? I hope filobedo is never checking the scores for my rounds!

If I were adding up scores, [3,3,4,2,5,2,3,4,3] sums to 29. Call me crazy if you must.

lol that's what I'm saying! I come from a ball golf background and just don't get it...why can't you just quickly add up your total score and compare that to par for the course?

Assuming that every hole is a par 3 and every course is a par 54 is dangerous and will lead to incorrect scores using the +/- 3 method discussed above.

(1) Speed. These tallying methods are shortcuts. Perhaps less error-prone, as well, at least where players are scoring somewhere close to 54.

(2) The +/- 3 method has the benefit of also working without a scorecard, keeping score in your head.

(3) Why would it be dangerous or lead to errors?

Personally, I add the numbers, but I don't see it as particularly better. I do it because it's different from the way other people are tallying---thus, I'm less likely to make the same mistake they are.

How? The only danger is if you conflate +/- based on a total score of 54 with a listed total par (assuming 18 holes).

It doesn't matter how you count your score up as long as the final number is correct. As long as you count your score as 58, no one should give a **** if you counted it as +4 (54) or -3 (par 61). A 58 is a 58.

So by your method, if the card reads [3,3,4,2,5,2,3,4,3] then the total score is 56? I hope filobedo is never checking the scores for my rounds!

If I were adding up scores, [3,3,4,2,5,2,3,4,3] sums to 29. Call me crazy if you must.

He didn't carry his example out to all 18 holes -- his method works fine.

(1) Speed. These tallying methods are shortcuts. Perhaps less error-prone, as well, at least where players are scoring somewhere close to 54.

(2) The +/- 3 method has the benefit of also working without a scorecard, keeping score in your head.

(3) Why would it be dangerous or lead to errors?

Personally, I add the numbers, but I don't see it as particularly better. I do it because it's different from the way other people are tallying---thus, I'm less likely to make the same mistake they are.

I do it both ways to double check myself, but I'm a math guy and can add up a card faster than a 5th grader lol.

I come from a ball golf background and just don't get it...
Most ball golf courses are a mix of Par 3, 4 and 5 holes. Most ball golfers rarely make these pars and make birdies even less. They often card higher numbers that can be all over the place. I suppose in that situation, its practical to just add them up. 5 plus 6 is 11, plus 5 is 16, etc.

Conversely, once a disc golfer has even an intermediate level of skill, it isn't that hard for them to be carding 3 (or better) on most of the holes they play. Once they reach that level, a 3 will probably be the most common number they card, and the overwhelming number of deviations from 3 will be a 2 or a 4. With those three numbers being represented on scorecards so much, its just easier to ignore the 3's like they're zeroes. Treat 2's as -1's, 4's as +1's, and other numbers accordingly.

Those of us who've been doing it for years, know that its the fastest and most error free method and don't have our judgment clouded by a "ball golf background" say otherwise. Unlike ball golf holes, probably 95+% of disc golf holes really are par 3, and treating the other 5% as something different screws up the efficiency of using this shortcut.

He didn't carry his example out to all 18 holes -- his method works fine.

Are you calling me crazy??

Jk. I understand that filobeo's method works out for 18-hole round scores. Since he didn't present an 18-hole round score, I took the opportunity to point out the pitfalls that can occur with some of these over-simplifications.

Latest posts