• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

season is closing :(

Reasons to love winter golf: Stouts taste magically better when out on the course

I forgot about that one. I try to keep the fridge stocked with a decent selection of craft beer. I've noticed my selections getting darker and darker as we head towards winter! :hfive:

Below 50 degrees is my cut off for too cold to play. Thankfully there are plenty of days above that during the winter.

Honestly don't know how you guys in the north do it. When playing in the cold it is just no longer fun for me.

If I went by this rule, I'd only get about 3 months of throwing in a year.

Below 50 degrees is my cut off for too cold to play. Thankfully there are plenty of days above that during the winter.

Honestly don't know how you guys in the north do it. When playing in the cold it is just no longer fun for me.
I'm good to the low 20's, and below that if it's not damp or windy... those factors really chill you to the bone if the actual tem is 15 or so.

As far as dealing with the cold, you get used to it, just dress appropriately. I lived in So FL for a total of 30 years and can honestly say I prefer the weather in MI for more months of the year. I actually enjoy the weather here for about 8 months, from May - Dec (April tends to be sloppy wet. Between rain and melting snow, most courses are just a mess). I can honestly say I'd prefer FL's weather from Jan-Mar, but outside of that, So FL's just too damn humid... you start sweating the minute you step out of the shower.

I honestly think places like TN, KY, and Carolinas have what I might consider the perfect mix; a genuine change of seasons without way fewer crazy wild extremes.

I'd move south to be warmer for winter golf, but then I'd have to deal with southerners. :D

As a Yank transplant, that is easily the Number 1 biggest trade off.

But you still need a coozie. Not to keep your beverage cold so much as to keep your hand warm. How ironic

Also to keep your beverage from freezing. Granted its gotta be pretty stinking cold for that to be an issue, but it used to happen to me.

1st day of snow in Billings, MT.

For me, it depends on how good of a ski season we get. If skiing is good, I'm in Big Sky most every weekend. I'll still get the occasional round in but the priorities make a large shift. If it's like last year and all the snow melts in mid-January and the ski hill is in crappy shape, then I play disc golf.

We lose light before 5 so during the week so I drink a lot more beer, whiskey, and hot tea, make a lot of soup, and get the fireplace going most nights. I really enjoy this time of year, hunkering down and eating and drinking warm and cozy food and beverages. Lots more quality time with the wife and dogs. MT is the worst.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 16
I continue to throw all winter, but like others have already stated the early sunsets kill most opportunities. I'm way too caught up with youtube tourney footage and I can only putt in the garage for so long haha. So I was thinking about little projects that I had put aside (cigar box guitar) until things slowed down and curious if others were doing the same.

one of our (disc circle) favorite things to say is "no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear."

I honestly think places like TN, KY, and Carolinas have what I might consider the perfect mix; a genuine change of seasons without way fewer crazy wild extremes.

I'd have to agree. Though I might be biased. The worst thing is, we get shunned in threads like this, because all we can complain about is the early sunset.

But you're right, in a way. I live in the sweet spot for someone who likes actual seasons, but as little winter as I can get away with. I suppose there's a place well north of here where they get about 5 days over 85 a year, and the winterphiles complain about those and love the other 360 days.

Anyway, back to the topic, even here where the snows are rare, the light-deficient and cold (to us) offseason is pretty much December & January. How to deal with it? There's a tournament in the considerably-warmer Charleston, SC the first weekend in December, after which the holidays pretty much keep me occupied. Though we have an informal bring-your-partner doubles at Stoney Hill in the lull between Christmas & New Years, aptly named the Chris "Mess" bash. Then I curse and complain my way through January, and by February there'll be some 60 degree days and enough light after work to play a short course.

That, and enduring Facebook pictures from my Minnesota friends, proudly playing in blizzards, which they post whenever I complain about lows in the teens.

As a casual player not much will change for me. If I have time and the weather is decent, I'll be out.

I may actually get to play more the next few months. I have been substitute teaching, there is time before sunset to get in a round or two on the way home. The weather here is decent much of the time during winter. The rain has things greening up, so more fun than when the course is mostly brown. Finally a bright side to being in NorCal.

Disc golf season at The Goat Path is just getting started. Half my course runs through hay fields that don't get cut near often enough. If any of you Northerners want a break from the deep white stuff and temps below zero you can come on down.

I actually play more in the winter. Emptier courses that aren't overgrown, and glow. I can walk to my local 9-hole that's a disaster of chuckers on any given summer evening, and have the course to myself at 5 pm all winter long. Or if my lazy friends get off their butts we can glow any of the area courses.

Season is far from over. Now is the time that the pdga events are over and it's now just charity events. Off season is just working on form and tweaking the bag for the next season. Need to fill a few holes in the bag and season a disc or two