• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Sell me on an under stable speed 9

Miamisms

Eagle Member
In the market for something faster than what I have in my bag currently. I am somewhat of a noodle arm and just really love the shape of a hyzer flip. Must have: beat in capabilities, but not a one tree KO, great glide, good feel on plastic, oh and come in blue or white:D. My initial thoughts are:

Valkyrie (pro?)
Jade

Discuss.

A lighter weight axiom insanity.

d08a1206_cf27_47e2_a372_3926de2e6893_Insanity_Neu.jpg

Last edited:
There are probably several good options out there, but I'll suggest the Plasma Amp. It has enough understability for a noodle to flip a bit, but it's not a "flippy" disc. You can create some nice lines with it depending on the release angle. The plastic is beautiful, durable, but can be seasoned. And it does come in blue. :)

^ That's also a great option, but it's a little faster than "speed 9." Even so, both discs are awesome.

Last edited:
In the market for something faster than what I have in my bag currently. I am somewhat of a noodle arm and just really love the shape of a hyzer flip. Must have: beat in capabilities, but not a one tree KO, great glide, good feel on plastic, oh and come in blue or white:D. My initial thoughts are:

Valkyrie (pro?)
Jade

Discuss.

The Jade! You won't go wrong with this disc. I am right around 300' and have tried quite a few discs including a Pro and DX Valk. The Valk still doesn't flip up for me when I throw it on a hyzer, but the Jade absolutely does. I use it in a 157g weight and get some great S shots out of it. No go in the wind, as it will just turn and burn.

If you have thrown a Diamond, you will feel the discs very similar except that the Jade will actually fight back at the end.

Jade has been my go-to distance driver, but I did just pick up a light weight Wave that is proving to be a bit further (but that isn't a speed 9!)

The Jade! You won't go wrong with this disc. I am right around 300' and have tried quite a few discs including a Pro and DX Valk. The Valk still doesn't flip up for me when I throw it on a hyzer, but the Jade absolutely does. I use it in a 157g weight and get some great S shots out of it. No go in the wind, as it will just turn and burn.

If you have thrown a Diamond, you will feel the discs very similar except that the Jade will actually fight back at the end.

Jade has been my go-to distance driver, but I did just pick up a light weight Wave that is proving to be a bit further (but that isn't a speed 9!)

Jade is awesome. Even in some wind it will come back and act predictably in the wind.

I would also recommend the Hatchet, especially in the low-to-mid 160s. It's more understable than the Jade for me and is pretty consistent.

Hatchet. The glide is outstanding and unlike other understable discs, its actually a bit hard to get it to turn and burn. A great hyzerflip disc.

I also have a Xtra Gummy Valkyrie from the Innova Pro Shop that I throw. You have to like gummy plastic but its almost two years old and still has a ridiculous about of life left. It hit that sweet spot really really fast and has stayed there.

As far as I know the Jade is only available in 150-class, so it is hardly a predictable disc in winds.

Instead I would recommend the Hatchet that is very similar and can be had in many different stabilities depending on the weight and plastic. I would start with a lighter Tournament one and then get a heavier VIP if needed. TP beats in nicely as well.

You're going in the right direction with the Valkyrie. I find the Pros beat too quickly these days (although are nice hyzer-flip machines when new), so depending on your preference in feel/durability, try any Star line. Star will be stable out of the box with nice fade, EchoStar a touch less, with GStar being the least IMO.

Paired with some Champ Valks, your Stable-Understable speed 9 duties will be covered!

There are probably several good options out there, but I'll suggest the Plasma Amp. It has enough understability for a noodle to flip a bit, but it's not a "flippy" disc. You can create some nice lines with it depending on the release angle. The plastic is beautiful, durable, but can be seasoned. And it does come in blue. :)

^ That's also a great option, but it's a little faster than "speed 9." Even so, both discs are awesome.

Amps are harder to throw and not as readily avilable in lighter weights. Have noodle arm friends who bagged amps b4 insanity was a thing i can say the insanity has been a game changer for all of them. Longer drives instantly and all bagged the disc. They used everything b4 from XLs to sidewinders and euros that flew different every time.

My furthest measured throw is with a max weight TP Hatchet.

Hatchet throwers: does this get crazy in wind? I don't play in to much wind, but I like to take road trips and play in other states that tend to have more than IN. I have yet to really test my diamonds in the wind, which makes me lean toward the Valk sometimes, but IDK.

Hatchet throwers: does this get crazy in wind? I don't play in to much wind, but I like to take road trips and play in other states that tend to have more than IN. I have yet to really test my diamonds in the wind, which makes me lean toward the Valk sometimes, but IDK.

They don't get "crazy" but it is an understable driver. I don't even pull my Valk out in the wind anymore because I can turn them over.

Gstar sidewinder... Much more predictable than my echostar valk. The valk carves nice s lines when u groove the angle just right, but the sidewinder flies tighter lines overall, so big gradual turning annies that don't dump and hyzer flips to flat for long straight shots seem to be easier to pull off and more forgiving than with the valk.

Instead I would recommend the Hatchet that is very similar and can be had in many different stabilities depending on the weight and plastic. I would start with a lighter Tournament one and then get a heavier VIP if needed. TP beats in nicely as well.

I throw a TP Hatchet, very nice US driver. I play almost all wooded courses and it controls very nicely. It has beat in good as well, but even fresh it was a great US driver. I don't use it much in the wind but it can also make a great/easy roller.

This is a disc that I need in my bag.

Valkyrie (pro?)
Jade

Discuss.

With a Diamond in your bag, the Jade is the logical faster and "more stable" hyzer-fliptastic complement. It ticks all your must haves, too: The GL beats in real nice, controllable great glide, feels sexy and good colors (with sparkles!) to boot...

I've also throw (and bag) 150-class Hatchets and Insanities. Both of these discs are longer, faster and less stable than the Jade. With good release angle control, these discs flat out bomb and are perfect as "max distance" drivers for my noodle arm!