• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaking Hands with the Basket

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
Exactly what am I supposed to be doing with my fingers and hand when I putt so my follow-through looks like I'm shaking hands with the basket?

Perfectly executed by the King himself:
large_Climo.jpg

Am I supposed to be giving lift from underneath?

Also, I'm assuming that a push putt or spin putt gives you the same handshake with basket result.

I see no reason to worry about your fingers ending position. It will be natural.the saying refers to keeping the arm straight in line and thus taking out an aiming variable.
When push puttin I find giving a lil pop helps create a dependable arc.
I do not handshake when spin puttin.

If your having a hard time getting your push putts out there, try a lil nose up or slight anny angle.

I try and push putt. When I go from low to high as I release the disc I'm basically painting the pole, or shaking hands with it as I follow through.

Sue, while you made some beautiful putts the last time we played you seemed to get in trouble when the winds got up. Why are you making a putting change? You just need to add another putt for the winds. A straight forward wrist/push should work. That's what I was doing. It's not my normal putt but I used it that day.

When I was spin putting or push putting I always found a difference in "shaking hands" vs not. I also found that the same "stop" power in the wrist like driving is the same in putting. The more powerfully you can stop the wrist no matter your putting style the better your putting in general.

When it comes to putting its all dave d talks about...
Wrist Action
Snake Strike Putt

So just to clarify in spin putting or push putting I found the force/energy is primarily behind to forward with some underneath OR primarily underneath with some behind to forward.

...I honestly wish people would dialogue putting more because we talk so much about driving that putting often misses out on attention, verbage, and academic coverage...

...I honestly wish people would dialogue putting more because we talk so much about driving that putting often misses out on attention, verbage, and academic coverage...

I agree with this 100%. I can tell you about my drive and every detail about how I throw, but when it comes to putting, I don't know exactly what I do when it comes to technique. Maybe that's why putting is my weak link.

verbage
:
A made up word that is used by people who want to sound cool when talking about the way something is written. These people frequently use other big and/or made up words to impress people around them.

^^from urban dictionary.com

Probably misspelled.

Definition of VERBIAGE
1: a profusion of words usually of little or obscure content <such a tangled maze of evasive verbiage as a typical party platform — Marcia Davenport>
2: manner of expressing oneself in words : diction <sportswriters guarded their verbiage so jealously — R. A. Sokolov>

^^ you don't say? ^^

i don't think it was a typo, though...i just think he's one of those folks who are described in the humorous definition i posted.

I'm a big proponent of "shaking hands with the basket". It's amazing how when your hand finishes not pointing at the basket that you putt missed in that same direction. I agree with Hysell that with the wind you may need to put some more back to front pace on the putt as opposed to just low to high but once you make that adjustment in your head just forget about the wind from that point and focus on th target. Also remember more pace for tailwind, less for headwind (just the opposite of what you might think).

Sue, while you made some beautiful putts the last time we played you seemed to get in trouble when the winds got up. Why are you making a putting change? You just need to add another putt for the winds. A straight forward wrist/push should work. That's what I was doing. It's not my normal putt but I used it that day.

Thanks Chris. No I don't particularly want to change my putting style, I just wondered if there was some way to make it better.

The winds are definitely giving me trouble with putting right now. I will add some more straight forward push to my putts. I didn't know until I played with you and some other people mentioned it here, that I was supposed to ease off on headwinds and putt harder in tailwinds. Totally opposite of what I thought!

Thanks again everyone for your input. For the most part (after reviewing video), I do think I'm shaking hands at the end of the putt. Good advice also that it's an excellent way to determine what line your putts are going off on. Until recently, I was throwing hyzer putt everything and I think I have it back on line.

I agree with this 100%. I can tell you about my drive and every detail about how I throw, but when it comes to putting, I don't know exactly what I do when it comes to technique. Maybe that's why putting is my weak link.

any putting technique, no matter how unorthodox it may be, can work for you if you practice it enough. there is no single best putting style. If you practice it enough, it will work...

Thanks Chris. No I don't particularly want to change my putting style, I just wondered if there was some way to make it better.

The winds are definitely giving me trouble with putting right now. I will add some more straight forward push to my putts. I didn't know until I played with you and some other people mentioned it here, that I was supposed to ease off on headwinds and putt harder in tailwinds. Totally opposite of what I thought!

Thanks again everyone for your input. For the most part (after reviewing video), I do think I'm shaking hands at the end of the putt. Good advice also that it's an excellent way to determine what line your putts are going off on. Until recently, I was throwing hyzer putt everything and I think I have it back on line.

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

Latest posts