• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sharpie art on discs?

Lewis

* Ace Member *
Has anybody else ever used Sharpie to draw on a disc instead of using dye? Does the ink hold, or might it wash off when wet? Does it make a disc illegal for tournaments?

I pretty much remove the hot stamp from every new disc I get and have my daughter draw on them with a sharpie. The ink will hold but will fade with time. Water won't affect it, though.

A sharpie wouldn't compromise the disc's legality because it doesn't have any "detectable thickness". A paint pen, on the other hand, probably would. If fact you're required to mark your disc for tournament play. You can get called on it if you don't.

Right. Good to know it won't be smeared with rain or dew. Is this true of all plastics?
Also I know about the requirement to mark one's discs, but I wondered if "marking" a disc with a few strokes of a sharpie might be different from laying it on thick as you might in a drawing.

Last edited:
More to the point...

I've got an Innova disc in Star plastic that I've just drawn on in sharpie...

ESP, Star, FLX, Z, Champ, Pro and X will hold Sharpie ink.
Pro D and DX will not.
As far as I know, all premium discs from all manufacturers will hold ink.
Baseline stuff won't.
It's got something to do with the type and composition of the plastic.

I dont mark my discs, but Ive found alot of water logged discs with sharpie intact. Also, Ive tried to remove the sharpie with different chemicals and have had no luck. I think it permenant.

There is some sharpie 'artwork' on one of my buddy's discs that ended up being rather embarrassing the other day.

We were at bird's nest, and mid-round we ran into John Bird (basically the father of colorado disc golf, pdga #387 to give you an idea of how long he has been around) doing some work to the course. We talked to him about the upcoming tournies, and such, then asked if he'd like to take a break from his work and throw a hole. My buddy offers up his bag for him to select a disc, and sure enough he pulls out my buddies sharpie art disc (one that we affectionately refer to as the C*ck Orc, because it is an Orc that someone tagged it with a lovely picture of a big hairy c*ck and balls as a joke) He immediately slams the disc back in the bag and grabs another, with a disturbed look on his face. The next disc he pulls out is a sidewinder, that he parks about 3 ft from the pin. He decided not to play out the hole, and still gives my buddy a weird look every time he sees him...

I would be careful with too much sharpie though... I've seen discs with a butt ton of sharpie on it (as in 70% sharpie) and the ink softens the plastic. The disc was new when it was sharpied, but it started feeling and flying like its been broken in. It was DX though, so yea.

Thanks for the advice. Now if I could only get that indelible Innova "X" off of Superman's neck...

Attachments

• superman-disc.jpg
    superman-disc.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,021
man i was really hopin to see some creative sharpie art, Lewis looks good, i meant i wanted to see a bunch of em hehe,
one of my buddies is good at drawing, but his sharpie designs just look like poop next to a dye job...
but i have seen some with really good "texture" ?cant think of abetter word? but similar to brush strokes, you can get a really neat effect with sharpie's, there has to be some artistic work done with sharpies

so lets see em...
please...
:)

No I'm not an artist. I traced this because a friend asked me to. Sorry to disappoint. :eek:

Maybe others have some stuff they could post?

i havent begun to dye my discs yet but i have had experience with sharpie on discs. ill post one that my gf drew, no its not gonna be a mona lisa but i think its sweet and thats all that matters.

as for which plastics hold the sharpie: i know for a fact that Innova's DX line will rub/scratch/othewise come off in a hurry. however the artwork on my JLS Millenium plastic has yet to be disturbed by the elements. and my signatures on both champion and star plastics have also heldup well.

all in all if you cant afford, or are otherwise unable to do a dye job, sharpie is the way to go. it also comes off fairly well with goo-gone although it leaves a ghost on some plastics (namely Champion)... i havent tried any other removal methods (nail polish remover?).

there are quite the number of different styles, colors, and types of sharpie out there so drawing possibilities are close to endless.

heres a sharpied Star Beast that I had received in a trade and since traded to another member from here.
yellowbeast.jpg

pretty good example as to what to expect in terms of fading.

Nice wood-grain effect. :) I wonder if anyone has ever actually tried making a dg-playable disc on a lathe. Might be pretty hard to do, but there are so many different densities of wood you could probably find something that would fly, if only as a conversation piece.

i havent begun to dye my discs yet but i have had experience with sharpie on discs. ill post one that my gf drew, no its not gonna be a mona lisa but i think its sweet and thats all that matters.

as for which plastics hold the sharpie: i know for a fact that Innova's DX line will rub/scratch/othewise come off in a hurry. however the artwork on my JLS Millenium plastic has yet to be disturbed by the elements. and my signatures on both champion and star plastics have also heldup well.

all in all if you cant afford, or are otherwise unable to do a dye job, sharpie is the way to go. it also comes off fairly well with goo-gone although it leaves a ghost on some plastics (namely Champion)... i havent tried any other removal methods (nail polish remover?).

there are quite the number of different styles, colors, and types of sharpie out there so drawing possibilities are close to endless.

Pure acetone is money for removing Sharpie from any disc except Discraft Elite X, I have no idea why it doesn't work on Elite X, but it doesn't. Just make sure that you dispose of the acetone properly (NOT DOWN THE DRAIN) and use rubber gloves. Also be careful not to smear the acetone or any bit onto the stamp because that will cause the stamp to be removed.

As a side note, I have also found that for whatever reason Sharpie will not stay on the Aerobie Epic. I have written my name in Sharpie on that disc numerous times and it always seems to rub off after a couple rounds. Anybody else have this issue?

Now I'm getting tempted to commission an artist to do sharpie designs on my discs. I wonder how much I'd have to offer a local artist to draw on a circle of plastic.

epic with ink, not gonna happen
i tried 2 markers, 4 pens - all wipe off with your fingers pretty easy...

i did dye mine too, soaked it for hours in the dye, didnt take the dye too well, but its permanent, way better than dx dyes

i want to know what pen Innova uses to mark their x-outs
that shh... stuff is permanent

Latest posts