• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shifting correctly makes bracing easy

That sure makes a lot more sense. I couldn't figure it out. We are now talking about a diagonal stance to the left but how do we shift to the right, wth? Now I understand. Shift correctly.

My apologies, I was trying to use a play on words and I see that it wasn't a very good place for that.

The direction of your shift is not directly targetward.

I think it will help me a lot to visualize my throw and how my elbow is working. I did field practice yesterday (before reading this thread) and I'm definitely getting better but I still felt something is wrong when I try to be smooth. I think it's because by coming in too straight to the intended target, I need to force an early release and use more jerky movements so the disc slip before I throw it too much right.

Same thing when my girlfriend is throwing, she never did much sport so she is very beginner and I try to give her some tips but being a beginner myself it's probably often bad tips. So one thing I told her is aim your shoulders sideway to the target, reach back straight and pull toward the target. Almost every times she will release right and often toward the ground and now I understand it's probably because the natural release point is not where she's aiming.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Great explanation of my long rambling with a Sw22 hammer toss! It's awesome to see it tested for power, and as he's explaining how it "feels powerful " to shift forward, that's what a targetward shift feels like... it's not as powerful.

Yeah this is a great explanation/showing of the "shifting in front" that basically all of us do when starting.

In disc golf BH you can't really push the disc with your trailing arm...so it feels like you're popping your back hip, which is left hip, toward the target in front of your body really hard to try to spin open real fast. Not correct, as you get initial but not continual speed and no leverage through the hit.

From what I've been feeling lately, and has been helping my balance immensely is yes...I am standing neutral and in-line but this is roughly 30ish degrees closed of the intended release line. Shoulders are kind of irrelevant as they turn throughout the shot.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought was meant, but wasn't sure (because I tried it on the course this weekend with mixed results.) I remember seeing a post to that effect recently that talked about intentional griplock, but I couldn't find it again. So a standstill shot would start out lined up 30 degrees left, and that means both feet would start pointing 30 degrees backwards, and the front foot would step on that left line.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought was meant, but wasn't sure (because I tried it on the course this weekend with mixed results.) I remember seeing a post to that effect recently that talked about intentional griplock, but I couldn't find it again. So a standstill shot would start out lined up 30 degrees left, and that means both feet would start pointing 30 degrees backwards, and the front foot would step on that left line.

In a neutral stance your feet are slightly open. So front foot will be roughly 90 to intended line and rear foot will look very closed. From your perspective your feet are neutral/comfortable.

I haven't been able to read through this thoroughly yet, but ABSOLUTELY agree. I've just made the same realizations recently and have had the best field work/rounds I've had in a long time.

Ever since I realized the hit was happening in front of me (as in 10-10:30 like HUB mentions) I've been LACING lines. I played my first tournament this week where it felt like any mistake I was making was in slight angle adjustment, not that I wasn't hitting my lines.

450foot Leo3 hyzer flip through a tight S-line tunnel. Flex line dead center fairway to 570feet on a downhill (USWDGC Jomez coverage on Renegade's Trail hole two, long position). ETC. Things were going great.

The diagonal shift absolutely clicked for me too. Sidewinder22 was talking about this zig-zag pattern in a thread (that he then redacted) but I think it's really all about that last step going out diagonally coming out of a TALL and balanced x-step. More dramatically on high power shots and less so on others, of course.

Do you actively pump/extend the plant leg coming into the hit?

2. Absolutely, but it's a smooth rhythmic extension, not a jerk. Otherwise you would be collapsing into the ground. Just to standstill upright and static without moving around you are actively extending your leg/legs. You may even appear to be collapsing while you are actively extending or trying to extend to break your fall because gravity is always accelerating you downward and then add in that extra acceleration from falling and you have to generate even more force to maintain some semblance of upright balance.

Mike Austin elongated the forward side to create a post. Dan Shauger compressed more than elongated. Shift left, compress, rotate weak side around.

I like to compress in my golf swing. My left butt cheek kind of sits left (very much stationary) as the right leg and right butt cheek swings around on the "front line". I like to feel like I even lean back a bit like a hammer thrower. Very much in that regard like Shawn Clement, SW22. My trailing foot comes off the ground almost immediately and my right knee is very bent.

Wow, this is all making more sense. As you're compressing, you are also extending and thereby using the ground as leverage in order to swing that arm/lever most effectively. As I push into&off the ground, I get the leaning back hammer thrower analogy.

Wow, this is all making more sense. As you're compressing, you are also extending and thereby using the ground as leverage in order to swing that arm/lever most effectively. As I push into&off the ground, I get the leaning back hammer thrower analogy.

Watch this.

It amazes me how many principles of disc golf have helped me with my golf swing and vice versa. This year I've only played 4 or 5 rounds of golf, but am hitting the ball further and more accurately than when I used to play at least once per week. I attribute that to picking up disc golf right around a year ago, which I've been playing 3 or 4 times per week.

I've found that keeping balance during an X-step has made maintaining proper balance in a golf swing feel much easier and more natural. Learning to keep the hand on the outside of the disc and feeling the disc force the wrist open and powerfully wrip out has improved the lag in my downswing. I could go on, but the point is that I'm a better golfer with less effort than I ever was before (well, other than putting...that actually takes practice). Similarly, swinging out-to-in to hit a powerful draw in golf has a similar feel to aiming at 10:30 in disc golf, and both require hitting/throwing with a closed stance. I find the relative foot positions and weight transfer in both sports to have a TON in common right at point of impact/release.

It's crazy how much the sports have in common when done properly.

2. You can be extending while still compressing or increasing compression [against the ground].

SW, I think I already know the answer is "yes" to this question.... On your FH do you feel like you compress and extend/resist to the same degree as BH?

Probably, "yes" compress & resist so that you don't allow front knee to collapse where it would get ahead of foot. Do you feel like you "push off" the ground in order to create more whip or just to the extent that you are bracing/resisting collapse? Or "yes both and"?

SW, I think I already know the answer is "yes" to this question.... On your FH do you feel like you compress and extend/resist to the same degree as BH?

Probably, "yes" compress & resist so that you don't allow front knee to collapse where it would get ahead of foot. Do you feel like you "push off" the ground in order to create more whip or just to the extent that you are bracing/resisting collapse? Or "yes both and"?
BH/FH basically the same, posture tilt depends on type of throw/trajectory. There is so much G-force compression like being in a Graviton machine, it feels like I'm rising and extending even though I appear to be getting shorter. If the front knee collapses past the ankle, leverage is totally cooked. I used to pitch/QB submarine, very similar mechanics.

Got to do the hop(like pitching from a mound/G-boost):

Ask yourself when you observe the simplicity of this motion... Is his lead hip "snapping open" or is it actually sitting almost still and the trailing hip snapping around it?

Just want to make sure I'm reading all this correct. Since the hit is at 10:30, I want to shift my weight to 10:30, not to 12:00.

Ask yourself when you observe the simplicity of this motion... Is his lead hip "snapping open" or is it actually sitting almost still and the trailing hip snapping around it?

Yeah exactly... I understood that part before to some degree but your comments and SW's comments made it click even further, in that if you push off the ground/extend while you are compressing/falling into the plant leg it creates leverage to whip the arm. Something that I felt and maybe half way doing while bracing but now with better understanding it seems so stupid simple. I haven't gotten to play around yet with this in mind but screwing around in my office it seems really easy to get onto the front leg and make it a stationary post to swing from... I do feel like I'm pushing my spine back (which I hope is correct).. Like you mentioned with the hammer throw. Never felt the one leg drill more clearly.

I think you missed reading this part...
2. You can be extending while still compressing or increasing compression [against the ground].

4. You can still convert gravitational acceleration through the body into centripetal force on any swing plane angle by changing your balance/tilted spiral. Watch how Brinster throws his "flat" and roller shots:

I must be understanding this wrong. Compression to me means your body is lowering, your weight is going downwards into the ground, thus compressing your leg. So your plant leg compressing would be crushing the can, knees bending, height lowering during that. Compression is like loading a spring.

So then the opposite of that, decompression means I'm increasing in height. I'm pushing away from the ground, the knee is extending, I'm getting higher, thus my elbow joint is also getting higher. I'm releasing the loaded spring energy from before.

That's how I am thinking about it, reading what you wrote it sounds as if we compress onto the plant leg, and keep compressing (keep lowering in height, bending knee more and more) and then when we start the arc/hit while still low and into the ground... Is this what you mean?

I must be understanding this wrong. Compression to me means your body is lowering, your weight is going downwards into the ground, thus compressing your leg. So your plant leg compressing would be crushing the can, knees bending, height lowering during that. Compression is like loading a spring.

So then the opposite of that, decompression means I'm increasing in height. I'm pushing away from the ground, the knee is extending, I'm getting higher, thus my elbow joint is also getting higher. I'm releasing the loaded spring energy from before.

That's how I am thinking about it, reading what you wrote it sounds as if we compress onto the plant leg, and keep compressing (keep lowering in height, bending knee more and more) and then when we start the arc/hit while still low and into the ground... Is this what you mean?

When you fall into the plant you are using gravity with all your weight going into the plant leg, you are naturally compressing - correct. But, of course, if we kept compressing you're leg would buckle and you'd fall over or you'd lose all leverage. So, as you're naturally compressing, you resist/extend/decompress (synonyms here) that front leg. Decompress/Extend/Push off the ground in order to resist gravity and your weight that's wanting to fall into the ground. This will create that front leg post and you can use the ground as leverage in order throw your arm & disc.

Last edited:

I think of compression as a scale reading your weight against the ground. Compressing the scale as you extend. The scale doesn't decompress until you extend and start going airborne.

Last edited:

Latest posts