• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe soles

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I've been wearing Bite shoes for the last couple of years but now I'm thinking I'm just as well off wearing flat-soled sneaks.

Now on the one hand, the Bites give great traction off the concrete and their negative heel seems comfortable too. But on the other hand, flat soles seem totally fine on concrete and they're also comfortable front-to-back even though they have more heel.

So what are your thoughts? Does your choice of shoe depend on the course you're playing? Does it depend on the weather? Or do you just wear one type of shoe no matter what?

I used to wear skate shoes. Worked for me unless it was even the slightest bit wet.

I stick to a good hiking shoe/boot now.

Some trail running shoes offer a good compromise - light, breathable, and good traction.

lightweight breathable shoes in summer...add sealskins for water proofing.

heavy boots in winter for snow. water/snow proof.

that's all the shoes i need to worry about..i always bring a 2nd pair to tourneys in case something happens.

the shoes you purchase should be able to rotate on cement tee pads and also provide traction on grassy/dirt surfaces, especially when wet.

i'm wearing Montrail rogue racers for summer...best shoe i've worn in all my years of play. http://www.montrail.com/Men's-Rogue-Racer™/GM2124,default,pd.html

winter I wear Merrell insulated boots (waterproof). had them for years now and they still hold up great. http://compare.ebay.com/like/300692318763?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

A solid running shoe should work well in the spring/summer. Some like to wear a hiking shoe in the fall, eh, I stick to my running shoes.

I tend to wear shoes...that's really my only stipulation! :)

Right now I'm usually wearing a bit up pair of old New Balance sneakers as I don't care too much about getting them sweaty/dirty/etc. I'm a noob so I have to go chasing discs in some bad places sometimes!

If I wear anything but my Merrell Moabs I don't feel like I'm going to have the best round I possibly can. They give me more comfort and grip than anything else I own and if I'm having my focus pulled away from the shot, to my feet, it's a bad thing.

Vibram soles are durable and give good grip no matter the surface for me. So any new shoe I buy for DG it's mandatory they use a Vibram sole.

If I wear anything but my Merrell Moabs I don't feel like I'm going to have the best round I possibly can. They give me more comfort and grip than anything else I own and if I'm having my focus pulled away from the shot, to my feet, it's a bad thing.

Vibram soles are durable and give good grip no matter the surface for me. So any new shoe I buy for DG it's mandatory they use a Vibram sole.

I'm with you on the Vibram soles, they're a must. I wear North Face Hedgehogs with Vibram soles and won't wear any other shoe for disc golf now. I wore Nike Shox for my first tournament and my feet got so soaked and hurt so bad I didn't know if I was going to be able to walk from the car to my house.

I would recommend any shoe with Vibram soles and GORE-TEX.

I'm with you on the Vibram soles, they're a must. I wear North Face Hedgehogs with Vibram soles and won't wear any other shoe for disc golf now. I wore Nike Shox for my first tournament and my feet got so soaked and hurt so bad I didn't know if I was going to be able to walk from the car to my house.

I would recommend any shoe with Vibram soles and GORE-TEX.

My NF mid Hedgehogs GTX were good shoes, until they started falling a part in 3 months. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone anymore.

Now, I wear proper ankle-high leather goretex hiking boots. I get full support and my feet stay dry. My home course is on a skill hill, so I appreciate the support for the steep inclines and declines.

On my forehand drives I tend to drag /push my right foot like a pitcher. It has ruined the sides of my soles. I am thinking of getting some hightop basketball shoes but the hiking shoes seem like a good idea if the soles hold up. I'm using running shoes currently. And the foam sides eat away on concrete tee pads

I've had the opposite luck with Vibram. Great grip but I seem to wear them down fast. I have a pair of new balances that are bulletproof and the tread is taking forever to wear down.

My NF mid Hedgehogs GTX were good shoes, until they started falling a part in 3 months. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone anymore.

Now, I wear proper ankle-high leather goretex hiking boots. I get full support and my feet stay dry. My home course is on a skill hill, so I appreciate the support for the steep inclines and declines.

I've had no problem with mine and I've been playing about 4 times a week in them for the past 4 months. I would recommend them to anyone who asks but I guess that's what makes the world go round.

I think the ideal sole for DG would be something with Merrell Moab tread on the front/ball of the foot and smooth (treadless) on the heel for pivoting. Pivoting on concrete tees is what really kills the soles and chews the knobs and tread off in my experience.

I think the ideal sole for DG would be something with Merrell Moab tread on the front/ball of the foot and smooth (treadless) on the heel for pivoting. Pivoting on concrete tees is what really kills the soles and chews the knobs and tread off in my experience.

That would be nice. The nubs on the edges of the heels do catch on the vibrams. I've got a pair of Merrells with the GoreTex and they're great year round. I would love some ventilators for summer but I can't afford to drop another bill fifty on summer shoes.

That would be nice. The nubs on the edges of the heels do catch on the vibrams. I've got a pair of Merrells with the GoreTex and they're great year round. I would love some ventilators for summer but I can't afford to drop another bill fifty on summer shoes.

Nike Skylons are the best.

Attachments

• Skylon.jpg
    Skylon.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 8
Nike Skylons are the best.

I thought you wore these?

clown.jpg

I just got a pair of Merrell Moabs in the mail yesterday, and after playing 5 rounds in them already, I can safely say I LOVE THEM!!! The added support of a top-notch shoe coupled with a Vibram sole just feel so right. Unless I have serious issues over the next few months with them, I can safely say that I will be always buying Merrells for disc golfing in.