• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short Thrower.

bsurg

Bogey Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG since July 2014; 4 years of occasional recreational Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: RH
Throwing Style: RHBH (primary), RHFH (in progress), OH (in progress)
Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver:
Envy: 210'/240'
Roc3: 230'/260'
Servo: 250'/270'
Inertia: 260'/300'

Sex: M
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 150
How can we identify you on the course?: I'm the short Asian guy. Look for the plaid hat.
What did you use to play?: Tennis, Ultimate. Did the shaved leg cycling thing for a year - still cycle, but I keep my leg hair.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Loving the Servo, Envy, and Judges. Those are the most consistent for me. Speed 6-7 is probably the limit for me right now - the Inertia is fun to throw, but I'm not consistent with it, and I can get the Servo pretty close.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Most of the time, I throw my Envy as far or further than my mids, so that's the area I really need help with. Trying to figure out if I need a stable or understable fairway driver, and how they can complement my Servo. Will probably need a utility disc or two - strong winds, extreme hooks, and such.
Immediate and long-term goals: Building my game from the ground up. Working on Beato drills, leading with the elbow, and trying to use discs that are within my ability to throw. Recovering strong-armer.

Bag:

Drivers:
168 Proton Inertia (met a few trees) - Max d, probably going to rest this for a while.
171 Neutron Servo (also met a few trees) - Favorite! Beating in nicely.
170 DX Leopard (used, slightly beat) - Still learning the disc. A bit flippy.

Mids:
170 Neutron Tensor (newish) - Used for some FH shots. Not entirely happy with this one - was expecting more fade.
180 Champion Roc3 (saved from tree-induced retirement) - Good for finesse/flex shots
178 400G M4 (nicely beat in) - Really like this mid. Straight straight straight.
170 Neutron Tangent (newish) - Straight and anhyzer shots. Also not too happy with this.

Tweeners:
171, 170, 169 Neutron Envy (beating in) - My go-to for pretty much everything.

Putters:
171 Classic Judge (new) - Putting only.

You might try something like a Banshee for those windy days, it also make a great FH driver too.

a very understable driver like a Valkarie ot Hu might be good the gain some controllable distance as well.

Not to much to add really as I don't know to much about most of your molds but you have the right idea with sticking to low speed fairway stuff. I love the leopard I would say try one in champ or star at 170g and you will be surprised how well it holds and as some fade.

Update: Taking the Tensor, Tangent, and Inertia out. Considering adding a TeeBird or two for field work (and for seeing why everyone loves them).

I decided that the Roc3 is a keeper because it works so much better as a finesse disc than anything else I've tried.

For ease of understanding, I'll use the Innova flight numbers. Now the bag looks like:

Fairway Drivers:
Innova TeeBird (7/5/0/2)
MVP Servo (6/5/-1/2)
Innova DX Leopard (6/5/-2/1)

Midranges:
Innova Roc3 (5/4/0/3)
Prodigy M4 (5/5/-2/1)

Tweener:
Axiom Envy (2/3/0/2)

Putter:
Dynamic Discs Judge (2/4/0/0.5)

If you didn't like the tensor. I might suggest a discraft zone in esp plastic. It will feel almost identical to the envy but dump a lot harder at the end of its flight. Alternatively if you want something to start fading immediately out of your hand look for a discraft drone. If either of those don't have enough fade for you you are prob doing something wrong.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into those, as well as some mega-overstable discs like the Lat64 Trident, Firebird, or Prodigy H1. It's a rarely-used slot, but I think an important one for me and the courses I play.

Looking good so far with the latest changes.

If you want an overstable mid, check out the Prodigy M1 or a Dynamic Discs Verdict. Both of those are great discs for midrange shots into a headwind or when you need a reliable fade out at the end.

Keep throwing that Teebird. You can get a lot of distance with those and cover a lot of lines, especially when they start beating in.

If you want an OS utility disc, look at the Firebird, Felon, or H1. The Trident is really a different disc altogether (it's a bit hard to explain). The Felon is Dynamic Discs latest that falls into the Firebird type category. All 3 of those are decent.

Thanks. I picked up 2 DX TeeBirds today - it was quite windy with all the storms rolling through, so I can't quite form an informed opinion on them yet. But they did help me get to my first par score!

Why is the Trident different from the Firebird/H1/Felon? From the inBounds flight chart, I can see that it's shorter and has much more of a "hook" than a fade. How does that translate to on-course play?

Latest posts