• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Short traveling disc @ full power?

So I've got an interesting one. Im looking for a disc that won't get me any distance even if I rip on it. I'd like to have something, whether its a putter or a mid that will get me a max of around 200'. For reference I throw an Envy upwards of 320' and my tomb 300'. Most of the holes on my home course are like 220' and I'm getting a bit frustrated with having to take a 60% putter throw off of those tees
I've got a Stego and Berg on the way. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to fire away. I'm actually debating on learning to throw opposite hand just enough to get me that little bit of distance. Thanks!

Get a Soft X Putt'r and wear the disc in till has become slight concave. Then the disc should lose all glide and drop. Also want 173-174 gram and 175-176 wights as anything below 172 grams is going to have more glide even when broken in. The mold should be easy to find Used on E-bay broken in as that is when the disc ends up with little to no glide and people sell the disc. I know as I used a soft X putt'r that ended up with no glide to it when it broke in after about 25-35 putts/hit basket. The other way to end up with a concave Soft X Putt'r is the try 45 min to 1 hour in hot car method to start then go from there.

So I've got an interesting one. Im looking for a disc that won't get me any distance even if I rip on it. I'd like to have something, whether its a putter or a mid that will get me a max of around 200'. For reference I throw an Envy upwards of 320' and my tomb 300'. Most of the holes on my home course are like 220' and I'm getting a bit frustrated with having to take a 60% putter throw off of those tees
I've got a Stego and Berg on the way. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to fire away. I'm actually debating on learning to throw opposite hand just enough to get me that little bit of distance. Thanks!

Joke Answer (but it will achieve your result):

Throw the disc upside down. Thumb wedged in the rim, fan "grip" on the top of the flight plate. You can get some interesting flight patterns and I guarantee you won't throw one past 250.

Did the op mention throwing straight? If so, I must have missed it.
Straight would be cool, but thrown flat with fade is fine too.

Honest question here. What is your problem with powering down putters on a short course? Why don't you like it? Just wondering.
I just never have. Its a feel thing for me. It's the same way in golf. I'd rather have a full club shot into the green than a half shot. Especially when its on like 12/18 holes lol

Did the OP only mention hyzers or torqued anhzyer forehands? I must have missed that...
No, I didnt mention those. I assume the Stego would also be a solid forehand mid, but I dont have an issue eith torque

He only mentioned distance and nothing else. There was no mention at all of disc flight or release. So if hyzers and torqued anhyzers get him around 200' on a full rip, then the Stego might just be the thing. :)

Not a big deal either way, but the Stego really may have answered the question.

When I lay off of a shot, the confidence that the fade will be consistent isnt there. To me a 40% throw and a 60% throw feel exactly the same, so I'm trying to find something to help migitage a bit of that until I get that sorted out.

While all of this disc talk is fun and all, the simplest solution if you want to give something a full rip without going long is probably to just play a different course with longer holes.

First off, throwing your Envy and Tomb 300'+ is awesome considering you've only been playing for playing less than year:clap:

At 220' you might start flicking your putters or mids. My sidearm doesn't go nearly as far as my backhand and most all the cool kids I see coming up nowadays can throw both forehand and backhand.

I also agree with Jay Dub in that a fan grip should limit your distance and improve accuracy/ feel. I'm not a fan of suggesting overstable discs to new players. Overstable anything likes to fly one type of flight pattern. Understable requires finesse and will help you learn control so much faster.

Also, get an Ultrastar. They're great for warmup catch, developing touch and learning release angles. For reference, 220' with an Ultrastar is an absolute crush for me and I can just barely throw my Judges over 300' and with the right wind and room Shrykes and Rampages 450'+.

Last edited:
Not gonna like this answer. Power down. You have to do this more times in a round for approach shots, than you do ripping it for full power drives. Powering down in an integral and vital skill to play well.

This sounds just like my nephews. They both played baseball and can rip a forehand out past 400', after playing for a few years. They spent a couple summers wondering how old, uncle ru4POR beat them every time with his noodle arm. "Hey nephew...nice 400 foot drive, on the 280 foot hole". Now what to do with that 120' comeback?

ANSWER: Power down.

Not gonna like this answer. Power down. You have to do this more times in a round for approach shots, than you do ripping it for full power drives. Powering down in an integral and vital skill to play well.

This sounds just like my nephews. They both played baseball and can rip a forehand out past 400', after playing for a few years. They spent a couple summers wondering how old, uncle ru4POR beat them every time with his noodle arm. "Hey nephew...nice 400 foot drive, on the 280 foot hole". Now what to do with that 120' comeback?

I feel bad now, this should have been my answer to a new player.

A few years ago I played with this group of younger/newer players. One guy could throw it 500ft (literally) but couldn't throw it 200ft.

So yeah, learn to power down.

If you throw a berg with slightest nose up its not going past 250 no matter how far you throw. Im not a big arm 400ft if my form is on point.
And i can barely get my berg over 200ft and that is perfect height and nose down.

Low Glide discs are definitely better suited for this.
How does getting better have anything to do with finding powering down on every shot not to be fun?

There's an art to getting a feel for "ranging a shot" and it's an important skill to develop, especially on courses that have sloped greens with roll away potential, or trouble lurking behind the basket. Knowing your discs, and the amount of oomph to put behind them for a given shot takes a combination of experience, kinesthetic feedback, and athletic intuition. Nose angle can make a big impact, too.

Along with carving lines through and around trees, I think it's one of the more elegant part of the game.

But if pulling back on the throttle ruins the game for you... Hey, you do you. :|

Last edited:
First off, throwing your Envy and Tomb 300'+ is awesome considering you've only been playing for playing less than year:clap:

At 220' you might start flicking your putters or mids. My sidearm doesn't go nearly as far as my backhand and most all the cool kids I see coming up nowadays can throw both forehand and backhand.

I also agree with Jay Dub in that a fan grip should limit your distance and improve accuracy/ feel. I'm not a fan of suggesting overstable discs to new players. Overstable anything likes to fly one type of flight pattern. Understable requires finesse and will help you learn control so much faster.

Also, get an Ultrastar. They're great for warmup catch, developing touch and learning release angles. For reference, 220' with an Ultrastar is an absolute crush for me and I can just barely throw my Judges over 300' and with the right wind and room Shrykes and Rampages 450'+.

Thanks. I always played QB or pitcher growing up, so throwing a projectile has been my happy place. I have a fair forehand (350' average) and an still learning hoe to throw a mid or putter that way..most just turn and burn.

Thanks. I always played QB or pitcher growing up, so throwing a projectile has been my happy place. I have a fair forehand (350' average) and an still learning hoe to throw a mid or putter that way..most just turn and burn.

Keep adjusting your throwing release angle, aka bend over more. Think about the plane you're throwing on, especially the follow through. Learn to flick understable and overstable will be a no brainer.

Forget the mids until you can better control the putters. They don't go as far:D

Most of all, have fun. I like to practice, unfortunately my old body can't hang for long.

Playing catch is the best way to learn IMO. You get so many more reps.:hfive:

Last edited:

I definitely appreciate and acknowledge that powering down is important and of course im working on it...it can just get a little boring not having some variety.

Low Glide discs are definitely better suited for this.

There's an art to getting a feel for "ranging a shot" and it's an important skill to develop, especially on courses that have sloped greens with roll away potential, or trouble lurking behind the basket. Knowing your discs, and the amount of oomph to put behind them for a given shot takes a combination of experience, kinesthetic feedback, and athletic intuition. Nose angle can make a big impact, too.

Along with carving lines through and around trees, I think it's one of the more elegant part of the game.

But if pulling back on the throttle ruins the game for you... Hey, you do you. :|

I think the biggest thing you mentioned that I lack is the kinesthetic feedback. Ive had issues with high flexibility limiting the feeling between different types of shots. Being new ive engrained nose up being bad. I need to learn to integrate it where it makes sense.

I appreciate all of the constructive feedback guys

Keep adjusting your throwing release angle, aka bend over more. Think about the plane you're throwing on, especially the follow through. Learn to flick understable and overstable will be a no brainer.

Forget the mids until you can better control the putters. They don't go as far:D

Most of all, have fun. I like to practice, unfortunately my old body can't hang for long.

Playing catch is the best way to learn IMO. You get so many more reps.:hfive:

Do this from 150-200'. :thmbup:

I think the biggest thing you mentioned that I lack is the kinesthetic feedback. Ive had issues with high flexibility limiting the feeling between different types of shots. Being new ive engrained nose up being bad. I need to learn to integrate it where it makes sense.

I appreciate all of the constructive feedback guys

At 200', I'm standing still maybe a jab step body weight shift. When I wrote 300'+ with a Judge, that's a full run up x-step, definitely not needed at your home v course. So different grips different run ups.

On another note, throw from #1 tee box to #2 basket, #3 tee box to #4 basket, you know have fun... but don't risk hitting anyone of course.... stupid I have to write that last bit but the times we live in are so PC.

Any slow catch disc will work. My personal favourite is the Super Hero. Amazing catch disc that teaches how to throw hyzerflips very well.

As mentioned, you need to learn to power down. Going for super overstable discs like the Stego will limit your distance but also force you to take crazy lines and probably jack up your form.

I've found the Scale and Serpent to be good putters for powering down full throws. They are really low glide and just naturally fly shorter lines than my Wizards.

I'm going to agree with Buzzchief above. The scale is a brick.
The Rhyno isn't a bad option either. Between the two, I get very similar flights

Latest posts